Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Pavoni....

• 30-03-2016 2:03pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm watching Doc Martin on tv the other day and see this guy brewing up a couple of espressos.
    Manual pump pressured machine.
    La Pavoni. Looked them up. Watched the YouTube videos. I'm interested now.....for my next purchase.
    They look bombproof.
    Any views on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Apparently they are hard to use well. You need a very consistent grinder to start. I've heard they produce really great coffee but you have to really love the process for it to be worth a purchase. Have to do a bit of DIY cleaning/repair every few months too. It looks the part too, really beautiful!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah.....saw the Seattle Coffee gals working it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

They are a lot of work and a fair bit of skill and knowledge is required to use them properly. That said if you spend the time to learn they do produce absolutely fantastic coffee. You will need a very good grinder.

Yep. Have a Baratza grinder. Be grand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, when are you getting it and will you throw up some videos when you get it up and running?

• Advertisement

Try telling " 'er indoors" :-o
    When, if, my Gaggia Classic breaks down......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm sure that can be arranged....

I'd have to sell another bike........:'(

Well maintaining a good supply of bikes is obviously important too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Planet X wrote: »
    Yeah.....saw the Seattle Coffee gals working it.

Gail and Kat are the best pair! I miss Kat in the newer videos. Great channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Have a La Pavoni myself, great machine. Grind is so important goes from choke to gush with easy.I find once I hit a sweet spot on grinder I leave it alone, But when its good it's amazing does take a while though. You have heat to consider as well can get too hot usually second shot the best, after third its too hot and boiler will almost need refilling.

raytaxi wrote: »
    Have a La Pavoni myself, great machine. Grind is so important goes from choke to gush with easy.I find once I hit a sweet spot on grinder I leave it alone, But when its good it's amazing does take a while though. You have heat to consider as well can get too hot usually second shot the best, after third its too hot and boiler will almost need refilling.

Have you "done" bells n whistles machines?
    Do, I would, you prefer the more manual / hands on machine?
    If you had a choice, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I had a Nespresso before this so it was quite a change. I was lucky to get it offered at a price that was hard to refuse (friend won it ). Have only used bells and whistle machines at shows.
    If i was buying again think I might start with a silva or gaggia second hand. Less of learning curve I believe.
    If you would like to try it, sure something could be arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Planet X wrote: »
    I'd have to sell another bike........:'(

Never sell your beloved bike :eek:

I'm like yourself OP, a Pavoni is definitely on my list of coffee machines to own.If only my Gaggia Classic would ever blow up haha!

If you don't want to go the whole hog and buy one brand new then used models pop up on ebay quite a bit. I saw one of the copper and gold ones sell for a bargain €150 just a couple of months back. Also if you're in anyway handy repairable ones also pop up on ebay and theres an official parts dealer in the UK who sell every available part for them, as well as bottomless portafilers if you get very brave on pulling shots from them :)

Advertisement