Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaxxed Docu Robert De Niro U Turn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why have you decided to not get your children vaccinated?

I feel strongly about it. I don't understand why someone would deliberately put their own children, and other people's children at risk when it is easily preventable. Much like letting them ride around in a car without a seatbelt, because the seatbelt might chaff their arm.

I guess it's a failure to assess risks accurately. Why is that.... I'd love to know!

ps, the film was removed because it was .... hmm, what's a nice way of saying Complete Bull....Let's try "inaccurate".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Vaccines exist for the herd immunity. There a small minority of people who for various medical reasons cannot be vaccinated. But if the remainder of the population are vaccinated there is a strong likelihood that those who cannot be vaccinated won't get sick. Your child may get ill if they catch a preventable illness but someone else's may die as a result.

Meningitis is an extremely serious illness and certain strains can be stopped with vaccines. Before not vaccinating your children speak to a doctor as they have the facts and can provide information more accurately than those of us on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a child that likely has an immune deficiency of some sort. One they can't find so one she's probably going to grow out, but nonetheless what's a cold to your child can land my child in hospital. She takes antibiotics every single mon/wed/fri. We have still vaccinated her. At her 13 month vaccinations that she couldn't get until she was 20 months she needed antihistamines, antibiotics and steroids after them. All of that is still safer than her possibly getting meningitis. We were very concerned about how far off schedule she was. She had incomplete reactions to some of her vaccinations too so even though she's vaccinated they haven't all worked.

We really rely on herd immunity.

What's best for all children not just those that are healthy is vaccination.

So I'm so glad common sense prevailed. A celebrity being seen to promote an anti vax film could have further set back vaccination rates that are already falling.

It's not only immunosuppressed children who are harmed by things like measles. Perfectly healthy children can, and do die from contracting it. Vaccine's are a victim of their own success. People don't remember what used to happen before they existed.

Roald Dahl lost his daughter Olivia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/7930637/Roald-Dahls-secret-notebook-reveals-heartbreak-over-daughters-death.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I always think of Roald Dahl's daughter whenever I hear someone saying that measles isn't very serious :(

My grandmother worked as a nurse all her life and we had a conversation about immunisations not long ago. She couldn't believe the resurgence of diseases that were previously almost eradicated, thanks to people who have chosen not to vaccinate their kids. She listed off loads of people she knew from her youth who had died of diseases that are now preventable and asked 'Why would anyone not want to be immunised against these?'. A 6 week old neighbour of hers died after catching whooping cough from an older sibling.

Whatever anyone believes about what is best for their own child, nobody has any right to put the health of other children and immunosuppressed people at risk. And that's exactly what you are doing if you don't immunise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

I will never ever ever EVER understand anybody not vaccinating their children. Why? Can someone please explain why they refuse to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Also op, I would just like to point out that the article in your link originated from naturalnews.com. A website who tout a load of nonsense under the guise of 'informed medical advice', usually with a 'evil big pharma' slant and quotes from a dubious sounding doctor. I've read a lot of articles from their site, to me most of them seem to be absolute fantasy and based on conspiracy theory. Of note, a series of articles about sunscreen causing cancer stick out in my mind. Especially this one, about curing skin cancer with direct sunlight, which contains the following:
    Then there's the case of Dr. Harland G. Call, who was diagnosed with skin cancer and was advised by a surgeon to have it removed. Instead, he decided to sunbath the cancerous area.

After a short period of continuous sunbathing, the skin cancer was completely gone. He returned to his MD for a confirmation, and his doctor confirmed that the skin cancer had disappeared and no surgery was required. [3]

According to Dr. Bernarr Zovluck, "Cancer is helped by sunbathing, writes Dr. Zane R. Kime. Kime writes
    that those who get more sunlight have less cancer. Sunbathing heals
    cancer by building up the immune system and increasing the oxygen in the
    tissues." [4]

http://www.naturalnews.com/046239_sunlight_alternative_medicine_cancer.html

So, to be honest, I wouldn't be trusting the health of my child to them if I were you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I wanted this to be about the movie Vaxxed not the usual why did you not. I have studied the risk more then I ever wanted too. Having 2 kids without vaccine make you worry about it more then a sheep that just follows the plan. I have run the maths and I am happy so far. My children will have vaccines just not all of them. I look at the risks of each and every one.

I feel that not enough questions are asked and there are to many people fighting and even winning the vaccine fight. I just want safer vaccines with lower risks. I have heard ever argument and have even had meetings with 4 doctors on the subject.

So back to this movie Vaxxed. It is being people trying to tell there story but no one wants to listen. Main stream media putting it down without seeing it.

Wondering when the European release will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

gar32 wrote: »
    I wanted this to be about the movie Vaxxed not the usual why did you not. I have studied the risk more then I ever wanted too. Having 2 kids without vaccine make you worry about it more then a sheep that just follows the plan. I have run the maths and I am happy so far. My children will have vaccines just not all of them. I look at the risks of each and every one.

I feel that not enough questions are asked and there are to many people fighting and even winning the vaccine fight. I just want safer vaccines with lower risks. I have heard ever argument and have even had meetings with 4 doctors on the subject.

So back to this movie Vaxxed. It is being people trying to tell there story but no one wants to listen. Main stream media putting it down without seeing it.

But it has to be about the actual vaccines. These vaccines are against horrible childhood illnesses. I cannot understand why you would pick any of them to leave out? And you might have done your research (though I would question your sources) but others won't

Movies like this are ridiculous. People who believe things at face value particularly from celebrities will not bother to read further and potentially not vaccinate affecting herd immunity. It should be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Please keep your kids far away from mine and stop piggybacking on the immunity of children with responsible parents.

• Advertisement

But it has to be about the actual vaccines. These vaccines are against horrible childhood illnesses. I cannot understand why you would pick any of them to leave out? And you might have done your research (though I would question your sources) but others won't

Movies like this are ridiculous. People who believe things at face value particularly from celebrities will not bother to read further and potentially not vaccinate affecting herd immunity. It should be banned
    When it comes to 'doing your research' those who oppose vaccines only seem to concentrate on pseudoscience and blogs ranting about big pharma. There's never links to peer-reviewed research, ever.

This reminds me of John Travolta and his son. Refused to give him proper medicine and the son died.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I found this article interesting - a journalist who is pro-vaccine (enough to vaccinate his own kids) looks at the viewpoint of the other side and tries to work out what the debate is about. Might be interesting to some here :)

https://aeon.co/essays/anti-vaccination-might-be-rational-but-is-it-reasonable

I have studied the risk more then I ever wanted too. Having 2 kids without vaccine make you worry about it more then a sheep that just follows the plan.

I'd rather be called a sheep than run an experiment with my own children's health.

Have you studied testing methodology while doing your sums? If you did, you would know how and why the schedules are the way they are.

The schedule is tested, and has been proven to be effective. By picking and choosing your own schedule you have no proof of the efficacy of the timings you are choosing. Are you a qualified pharmacist? Have you been running studies on the side?

What is the purpose of coming up with your own schedule? It doesn't just come out of a hat. There are decades of studies with reams of reviewed evidence to support it.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/30/vaxxed-andrew-wakefield-tribeca-robert-de-niro-free-speech?CMP=edit_2221
    Andrew Wakefield is the real conspiracy here, namely, why his claims were ever given any credence whatsoever.

lazygal wrote: »
    Please keep your kids far away from mine and stop piggybacking on the immunity of children with responsible parents.

Lazygal we had this chat before. seems you don't have a good memory.

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd rather be called a sheep than run an experiment with my own children's health.

Have you studied testing methodology while doing your sums? If you did, you would know how and why the schedules are the way they are.

The schedule is tested, and has been proven to be effective. By picking and choosing your own schedule you have no proof of the efficacy of the timings you are choosing. Are you a qualified pharmacist? Have you been running studies on the side?

What is the purpose of coming up with your own schedule? It doesn't just come out of a hat. There are decades of studies with reams of reviewed evidence to support it.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I know my children and if you read half as much as I did on the subject you would not want to be a sheep. Read the governmental fact and how many children have suffered with the life saving vaccines.

I know my children and if you read half as much as I did on the subject you would not want to be a sheep. Read the governmental fact and how many children have suffered with the life saving vaccines.

Can you give me a valid reason why I shouldn't vaccinate my next child? Bearing in mind I already have 2 fully vaccinated children

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057406109

past vaccine issue please please read. Closed due to people not sticking to the subject.

Vaxxed movie is the OP issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

This reminds me of John Travolta and his son. Refused to give him proper medicine and the son died.

Didn't JTs child die from hitting his head as a result from a seizure?
    As far as I know medication for epilepsy CAN control seizures but CANNOT stop them happening altogether so even if he was giving his son medication it still could of happened.
    So what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod Note:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057406109
    past vaccine issue please please read. Closed due to people not sticking to the subject.
    Vaxxed movie is the OP issue.
    Thanks

It was closed due to people getting snarky with each other, despite repeated warnings. Pretty much like you in this thread are doing right now. So if you want a reasonable discussion on the thread you started, and for the thread to remain open, comments like this one below don't help.
    Lazygal we had this chat before. seems you don't have a good memory.

If you REALLY want a balanced discussion about the documentary, can you link to reputable reviews that describes the documentary instead of somebody's conspiracy blog? Because from reading that link, I'm sorely tempted to move this thread to Conspiracy Theories.
    wrote:
    Lets see if this lasts long here.

And with this, you seem to be implying that you KNOW the topic is emotive, and are throwing down a gauntlet to either the mods or other posters. You wouldn't be doing that...would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

This is obviously a sensitive subject to a lot of people so I'll just say my piece. My mother didn't get me vaccinated. Not because she was against, just because she couldn't be bothered after eleven children. Anyway, my point is, because she chose not to I ended up developing Meningitis Meningococcal Scepticaemia at age 10. I was lucky enough not to loose any parts of my body as she delayed in taking me to the doctors, then hospital. I'm fine now but if you do your research on the diseases that the vaccines protects your child from, you might change your mind. I know your worried about the "effects" of the vaccine but the after effects of some of those diseases are more worrying than the vaccines. I may have all my limbs but if you look up MMS then you'll see that some children that have had the disease develop long term problems. These include memory problems, balance problems, among others, some children even become deaf. I have a lot of the long term effects and it ain't nice. That's just my two cents worth.

Well, they say you are what you eat, but I think it's more like You are what you read. What do you read? Natural news? Daily Mail?

I looked up the film credits. Written and directed by struck off and entirely discredited Andrew Wakefield. One of the worst 'scientists' ever to grace the planet. Wholesale falsification and dishonestly is what this guy is known for, as the tribunal found. Barred from practicing ever again, a man responsible for unnecessary deaths and suffering. I guess he's trying to make a buck... I just wish he'd do it without harming our children.

I have a cousin who hasn't vaccinated her daughter who is the same age as my youngest. As a result of this, I refuse to have either of my kids around her which is awful. It's easy to control when they are this age but what about in school?

There needs to be a plan laid out and put into action to prevent these unvaccinated children being allowed in school with vaccinated children.

And please don't come back with the old retort of "well if your kids are vaccinated, what is the problem".

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, they say you are what you eat, but I think it's more like You are what you read. What do you read? Natural news? Daily Mail?

I looked up the film credits. Written and directed by struck off and entirely discredited Andrew Wakefield. One of the worst 'scientists' ever to grace the planet. Wholesale falsification and dishonestly is what this guy is known for, as the tribunal found. Barred from practicing ever again, a man responsible for unnecessary deaths and suffering. I guess he's trying to make a buck... I just wish he'd do it without harming our children.

I only read governmental fact web site as I wrote :)

http://www.cdc.gov/ for example

or https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/vaccine-uptake

I don't believe the anti vac people I try read as much as I can from all health services from around the world. The facts not the fiction.

Numbers of reported deaths due to vaccines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OP, genuine question here. Would you reconsider thoroughly vaccinating your child if herd immunity wasn't a concept? I mean, obviously as it is, herd immunity results from a large majority of people having vaccinations.but if this didn't come into it I mean. Basically, if only those who were vaccinated had protection, and all those who weren't therefore had a high risk of contracting these diseases... Would you vaccinate your children in this instance? Or would you still see the risk of the vaccine more of a risk than the very likelihood of your child contracting one of the preventable diseases.

There are too many vaccines too answer that question. which ones?

There are too many vaccines too answer that question. which ones?

The ones you have decided not to administer

MMR I will give them just measles after the age of 3

Polio unless there is a case within 1000 km of us. I am hoping that it will be history soon.

http://www.polioeradication.org/.
    Tetanus also will be given after 3

Diphtheria also after 3

All other under review until they are older

• Advertisement

MMR I will give them just measles after the age of 3

Polio unless there is a case within 1000 km of us. I am hoping that it will be history soon.

http://www.polioeradication.org/.
    Tetanus also will be given after 3

Diphtheria also after 3

All other under review until they are older

Would you be waiting to give these as you are in the circumstances I explained earlier. If polio was currently prevalent and if the other disease were currently prevalent and there was a high likelihood of your children contracting these diseases (as there was in the past) due to there being no herd immunity.... Would you be waiting until after your child was 3 to be giving them these vaccinations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement