Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I continue or leave?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am a work-at-home agent for a small start up and due to my internet connection I have been absent for quite a while with no resolution in sight from my internet provider. I have tried many internet providers but due to where I live this is the only one that can give me the service I need(when working)

I need to move on and look for work as I'm missing out on what could be invaluable experience at my next job.

There is not many jobs where I live so I would need to get welfare while searching/moving.

My problem is the company are reluctant to release me and are waiting for me to resign but I am reluctant to leave as I would not receive welfare for 9 weeks.

My employers very straight so will not release me until its absolutely untenable for them and if I leave how can I approach welfare without waiting as its not my intention to be jobless for more than a few weeks.

I feel like I have to move on this today so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also incase asked I have not been paid by anyone during this absence so I have pretty much ran out of money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Go speak to the social welfare office, tell them your situation and you should be OK.
    Firstly you haven't been paid for a period of time so that can count towards your 9 week wait period.
    Secondly, this is out of your control and you are not leaving work because you want to.
    There are exceptions to the 9 week wait period and you would be in a good position for them to wave your wait period, especially if you haven't been on JSA before.
    Be aware that processing your application can take weeks, so even if you are approved and don't have to wait 9 weeks, it could still be up to a month before you get paid, but you will get that money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you move to this area after getting the job? That could be seen as absenting yourself from the labour market, which can affect your welfare eligibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Did you move to this area after getting the job? That could be seen as absenting yourself from the labour market, which can affect your welfare eligibility.

Nonsense.

Op go talk to the social welfare office. The 9 week rule is not set in stone.

Advertisement