Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S7 & automatic/manual network selection

• 30-03-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Easter weekend in London, so I bought the optional Three addon that allows me 2GB of data while roaming (their All You Can Eat Data can no longer be used on their foreign networks). When I got to the UK I ensured I used manual, not automatic, selection and set it to Three to avoid data roaming on other networks and incurring massive data charges. This is on my new Samsung S7 purchased from Three themselves. All was fine until at one point on Tuesday afternoon I noticed it had switched to O2 which it should _not_ do.

I contacted Three to tell them this. Their answer:

"The phone will pick up the best network available in the location so it can switch over automatically and wouldn't give you an error message if that's the case. To avoid being charged for data roaming while in the UK, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the network that's selected. Check the network before you turn on your data while your there. Rachel"

Now, this is bull****. There's no way a customer can be expected to monitor their phone 24/7 to see it hasn't switched. Manual means _manual_ and I had an iPhone long enough to know that if manual was used, if network connection was lost it was simply lost and didn't switch to another network.

I rang Samsung Ireland and asked. They are not sure what the behaviour of the phone is. I'm now hit with €400 of data charges. Has anyone else seen this behaviour on Samsung and/or Android phones?

P.

Advertisement