Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painter: rough interior price new build

Options
  • 30-03-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm building a house and it'll need painting soon. I have a painter in mind who I'll ask, got recommended him so I think I'll go with him if his price is ok, so before I get a price off him I was wondering if someone here could give me a rough estimate of cost, excluding paint, I'll be supplying the paint myself.

• House size: 2,300 sq. ft
    • 2 storey
    • 5 bedrooms
    • Large hallway up & down with about 30ft ceiling
    • 1 sitting room
    • Kitchen, living, dining area (quite large)
    • Back kitchen (small)
    • 1 walk in wardrobe
    • 3 bathroom ceilings
    • All skirting and architrave (already factory primed)
    • 15 window boards (bare)
    I want all ceilings to get finished, all walls primed in white then 2 top coats of colour. All timber will need caulking and then a top coat.

Doors are pre-finished so won't need doing.

If anyone could give a rough price labour only that'd be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

Timber will prob need a primer coat also. When nail holes etc. are filled they they will need priming before finish coat.

I paid 1000 (including paint for spraying white undercoats, 3 to ceiling (finished), 2 to walls.

Waiting for painter to start now for finished coats and it will be approx 2300 labour only.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 goat.sniffer

893bet wrote: »
    Timber will prob need a primer coat also. When nail holes etc. are filled they they will need priming before finish coat.

I paid 1000 (including paint for spraying white undercoats, 3 to ceiling (finished), 2 to walls.

Waiting for painter to start now for finished coats and it will be approx 2300 labour only.

Thanks for the reply.

Is it 2300euro overall you will have paid when it's all done or 3300?

Sorry, don't know if you mean the 1000euro is included in the 2300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

Two separate jobs. Sprayed before and timber work was completed.

If your timber work is already in place then you may not be able to spray the undercoats (not sure though).

So i met the painter 1 hour ago. He came and looked at the house.

He quoted 2500 labour only. Hes not vat reg so thats a bonus i suppose.

he said he'll finish ceilings, prime walls, then add 2 top coats in colour and after all the 2nd fixing is done in the house he'll come back and do touch ups, caulk skirting & architrave and give a coat to timber.

Doesnt sound too bad?
    Im fairly happy with that

How long roughly I wonder would it take to do?

The guy works on his own. He said he'll do it in 2 stages.

First stage will be to finish the ceilings, prime coat the walls, then give a coat of colour to each, and stage 2 will be after all other tradesmen are gone he'll final coat all walls, and caulk all timber work, and give them a coat.

But I forgot to ask him how long it'll take!!

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I'm building a house and it'll need painting soon. I have a painter in mind who I'll ask, got recommended him so I think I'll go with him if his price is ok, so before I get a price off him I was wondering if someone here could give me a rough estimate of cost, excluding paint, I'll be supplying the paint myself.

• House size: 2,300 sq. ft
    • 2 storey
    • 5 bedrooms
    • Large hallway up & down with about 30ft ceiling
    • 1 sitting room
    • Kitchen, living, dining area (quite large)
    • Back kitchen (small)
    • 1 walk in wardrobe
    • 3 bathroom ceilings
    • All skirting and architrave (already factory primed)
    • 15 window boards (bare)
    I want all ceilings to get finished, all walls primed in white then 2 top coats of colour. All timber will need caulking and then a top coat.

Doors are pre-finished so won't need doing.

If anyone could give a rough price labour only that'd be great, thanks.

It will cost probably between 3k - 3.5k

Better off doing it in 2 stages. Finish all ceilings, prime & 1st coat of colour on walls, and undercoat all timber 1st. Then wait til all the tradesmen are gone and finish the house off. That way it won't be getting marked and dirty by the other workers.

Let us know how much it was in total so others can get an idea in the future when they're looking for the same.

Advertisement