Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating old house.

Options
  • 30-03-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Apologies in advance - I'm sure a similar question to this has been asked numerous times before, but I've searched and are struggling to get all the information together.

Basically we have found a house for sale that we like, but it would require a lot of work. We are trying to get a rough benchmark for the cost of some of the renovations/alterations needed, to help determine what price to bid at.

The house is in Dublin. It was built ~ 1960's and hasn't had much done to it since. Size wise it is ~ 1900 sq ft. The prices that we are trying to get a rough benchmark for are:
    - heating - it currently has old style storage heating, so a complete new system would be needed. There is gas already coming to the house (not sure how relevant this is).
    - wiring - I imagine it would need a full rewire.
    - insulation - it is 2 storey. I guess walls and roof would need to be done.

Is there anything else that would be necessary given the age of the house that I'm missing?

I know alot will depend on the number of rooms and layout of the house (to determine the number of radiators etc.), but we will properly do some changes to the internal layout, so I'm not yet sure how many rooms they'll be.

It would also need a new kitchen - again I know alot depends on the size/specification, but could you give a rough benchmark for an average kitchen cost? Would ~ €10,000 seem reasonable?

Thanks so much for any help you can give here - it is much appreciated. Mods if this is posted in the wrong forum then feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Monaou2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies in advance - I'm sure a similar question to this has been asked numerous times before, but I've searched and are struggling to get all the information together.

Basically we have found a house for sale that we like, but it would require a lot of work. We are trying to get a rough benchmark for the cost of some of the renovations/alterations needed, to help determine what price to bid at.

The house is in Dublin. It was built ~ 1960's and hasn't had much done to it since. Size wise it is ~ 1900 sq ft. The prices that we are trying to get a rough benchmark for are:
    - heating - it currently has old style storage heating, so a complete new system would be needed. There is gas already coming to the house (not sure how relevant this is).

Is there anything else that would be necessary given the age of the house that I'm missing?

I know alot will depend on the number of rooms and layout of the house (to determine the number of radiators etc.), but we will properly do some changes to the internal layout, so I'm not yet sure how many rooms they'll be.

It would also need a new kitchen - again I know alot depends on the size/specification, but could you give a rough benchmark for an average kitchen cost? Would ~ €10,000 seem reasonable?

Thanks so much for any help you can give here - it is much appreciated. Mods if this is posted in the wrong forum then feel free to move.

Trying to answer your queries if the house was new would be complete dartboard and given the property is old its almost impossible. You would need to take account of:
    • size
    • specificatin of finish
    • structural issues
    • damp issues (has it a DPC / DPM?)
    • repairing anythign of character
    • windows?
    • plumbing and heating as you stated
    • insulation as you stated
    • condition of floors
    • impact of rewiring on walls, floors and ceilings
    • sanitary ware and bathrooms
    • tiling and floorig
    • etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Monaou2

Hi KKelliher,

Thanks for your reply and I understand and agree with the your points raised on how it would be a very difficult task to price up.

Perhaps a better way of putting my query would be how do other potential house purchasers do a rough costing for the type of renovations needed at the bid stage, so without involving engineers, architects etc. So we have found a house that we like, in a location that we like, but the cost of the renovations will really be the key input into the level of bid we are willing to make. If the renovations cost say €100k, then that would probably push the house outside of our budget, at the current price. If €70k would suffice, then we might be just able to stretch to this, while at €50k it would be doable. These are just very rough figures, but you get the idea - we need to have a very rough benchmark on how much the renovations could cost before deciding on how much to bid, and certainly before deciding on any details such as finishing etc.

Do other potential house purchasers actually go to architects and engineers to price up these things based off the plans of the house, before they are willing to place a bid? I imagine this could cost a couple of thousand to do, but I guess if it saves you from buying a house where you are underestimating the cost of the work, then it is worth it.

Thanks again for any thoughts or opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Hi KKelliher,

Thanks for your reply and I understand and agree with the your points raised on how it would be a very difficult task to price up.

Perhaps a better way of putting my query would be how do other potential house purchasers do a rough costing for the type of renovations needed at the bid stage, so without involving engineers, architects etc. So we have found a house that we like, in a location that we like, but the cost of the renovations will really be the key input into the level of bid we are willing to make. If the renovations cost say €100k, then that would probably push the house outside of our budget, at the current price. If €70k would suffice, then we might be just able to stretch to this, while at €50k it would be doable. These are just very rough figures, but you get the idea - we need to have a very rough benchmark on how much the renovations could cost before deciding on how much to bid, and certainly before deciding on any details such as finishing etc.

Do other potential house purchasers actually go to architects and engineers to price up these things based off the plans of the house, before they are willing to place a bid? I imagine this could cost a couple of thousand to do, but I guess if it saves you from buying a house where you are underestimating the cost of the work, then it is worth it.

Thanks again for any thoughts or opinions.

generally yes. not off plans but following a site visit. some people get builders to tag along and give a price. All in all whatever you are told, I would advise you to take that as a minimum as in every case these can only be based on visible items and the hidden items are what can add to the costs. The quantity surveying family would carry out this type of work very regularly. Most people dont buy a second hand car without having it checked out first so why would a house be any different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hi,

Currently pricing a renovation of an 1850 sq foot house. Stripping back to the 4 walls and roof and starting over. New windows, doors, oil heating, plumbing, wiring and insulation, plus bathroom, kitchen, flooring, painting etc. Price is coming in at 150-160k. I'm sure we'll be able to knock a few quid off it, but there's a guide for a similar sized house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Currently pricing a renovation of an 1850 sq foot house. Stripping back to the 4 walls and roof and starting over. New windows, doors, oil heating, plumbing, wiring and insulation, plus bathroom, kitchen, flooring, painting etc. Price is coming in at 150-160k. I'm sure we'll be able to knock a few quid off it, but there's a guide for a similar sized house.

...and don't neglect air tightness and ventilation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

MicktheMan wrote: »
    ...and don't neglect air tightness and ventilation

Don't worry! They didn't put any ventilation in it's current form, you can see what happens when you don't.

Advertisement