Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No new library funding for Cork

Options
  • 30-03-2016 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this tagged on the end of a "feel good" article in the Echo about increased use of the City Library system?

"Funding applications for a new library in Mahon and a redeveloped library in the city centre were rejected, with 16 projects nationwide set to benefit from €22m in funding. No project in Cork is set to benefit from the grant."
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/6000-people-join-city-library-two-months/1959661/

The old Abode building has been sitting vacant in Mahon for years as that was chosen as the site of a future library. It is a large suburb with a bigger population than Mayfield or Knocknaheeny and yet has no library to cater for a significant youth population (three thriving schools in that area). Check the populations here if you'd like: http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011vol1andprofile1/Census,2011,-,Population,Classified,by,Area.pdf

To compound it all there's no funding to extend or refurbish the central library either. What a shambles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As a resident of Mahon catchment area myself... I use both the city library and the douglas library. I find them to be excellent services. I can request books online to either library, they arrive and I get a text. My children can borrow ten books each. We go the the events they hold. Love them, use them.

I would prefer to see the planned playground down by the pier which lost it's funding, or some of the maintenance of the long forgotten parks around area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ah but this funding was specifically for libraries so it wouldn't cover parks etc.

I feel Mahon gets the short end of the stick a lot with regards to any sort of council funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Echo covered the funding story a few weeks ago when it was announced

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/funding-denied-two-cork-library-projects/1938209/

22m in central government funds given out to projects nationwide. Cork's two applications the only ones rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Both projects badly needed. The Central Library in particular really is a bit of a disgrace. I love the library but that place needs to be totally rebuilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Both projects badly needed. The Central Library in particular really is a bit of a disgrace. I love the library but that place needs to be totally rebuilt.

What is it missing? I mean... Apart from a bit of old decor (which i kinda like), and the weird giant key for the loo thing, I think it's great.

Twas a shame when they put in the auto kiosk things too. I prefer to talk to a human about books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

pwurple wrote: »
    What is it missing? I mean... Apart from a bit of old decor (which i kinda like), and the weird giant key for the loo thing, I think it's great.

Twas a shame when they put in the auto kiosk things too. I prefer to talk to a human about books.

Well according to the chief librarian there, it's totally inadequate in terms of space and storage and public display areas. The expansion of the catalogue of books is totally restricted by the space limitations. The proposed library is twice the size of the current one but alas no funding to build it.

Also the auto kiosks are great. Check in and out in seconds. It also means more time for the staff to mill around and talk to people.

Advertisement