Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HG658c Maximum number of clients

Options
  • 30-03-2016 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

I've set up in the home a wired and wireless LAN system that on a typical day has about 15 clients attached. Most are fixed IP such as security cameras but others such as smart phones use DHCP. The system is set up so that 100 lease addresses are available and the static addresses are outside the DHCP pool. DHCP lease time is one hour. There are also two AP's in the house.

My problem is that when the entire extended family comes to visit, the network doubles in size and the router always crashes (yellow triangle on Windows, protocol warning). Although there is only limited bandwidth available, I don't think this is the issue since a restart of the modem, Vodafone HG658c solves the issue (for a while at least).

I have a feeling that the router just cannot cope with the quantity of devices attached. Would anyone have any recommendations on one that can, or am I way off with my diagnosis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How do you know the router is crashing? Just the notification on windows doesn't necessarily indicate that. Have you separated the static ip range from the dhcp pool? Just wondering in case there are conflicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

TheChizler wrote: »
    How do you know the router is crashing? Just the notification on windows doesn't necessarily indicate that. Have you separated the static ip range from the dhcp pool? Just wondering in case there are conflicts.

Yrs the static addresses are outside the DHCP pool. The windows error is protocol not installed or something like that. The reason I believe it's the router crashing is because power cycling always solves the issue for a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are two things to consider, wireless and routing.

Wireless wise the rule of thumb is 12 devices per radio. So 12 devices on the HG and 12 on each AP. If you have 18 devices all on HG and not distributed then that will start seeing issues.

Routing wise, where it sounds like your problem may be, you could have NAT depletion or a memory leak. I don't think the HG UI will display the current NAT sessions and a memory leak would normally crash it periodically despite load so pinning it down precisely will be hard.

Really the HG is pretty weak, Eir use its successor which is much better, the HG659. Vodafone will need to update for SIRO as the 658 doesnt have the wireless or wired spec to keep up with FTTH.

Next time it goes down see if the modem responds to pings or telnet connections, if not then buy something a little newer.

Advertisement