Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price increase at end of contract?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 8:24pm

I recently signed up to the Eir fibre package at €45 per month. I checked my first bill and noticed the following:

10 Euro discount for 18 months ends September '17

So according to this it will only be €45 for the 18 month contract period and then increase to €55? At no stage was I told about this. Even the website has no mention of it, see below.

Would somebody be able to tell me what's going on please?

381788.PNG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Karsini wrote: »
    I recently signed up to the Eir fibre package at €45 per month. I checked my first bill and noticed the following:

10 Euro discount for 18 months ends September '17

So according to this it will only be €45 for the 18 month contract period and then increase to €55? At no stage was I told about this. Even the website has no mention of it, see below.

Would somebody be able to tell me what's going on please?

381788.PNG
    Hi Karsini,

Thanks for getting in touch :)
    This link attached are our on-line only offers, did you sign up on-line?

Currently the standalone broadband package is €45 euro per month. If there are any discounts or offers applied they will be taken off the €45. 
    What is the name of the bundle on your bill you have been charged for?

Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

I signed up in an Eir store, I couldn't sign up online because my address wasn't on your records.

I asked for a broadband only service but was told this wasn't available. I was offered Eir Base, which was Eir fibre and PSTN service with off-peak calls. I questioned this and was told that the PSTN was at no extra charge and I was told it would be €45 per month. There was no mention of the price increasing to €55 at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi Pamela,

I signed up in an Eir store, I couldn't sign up online because my address wasn't on your records.

I asked for a broadband only service but was told this wasn't available. I was offered Eir Base, which was Eir fibre and PSTN service with off-peak calls. I questioned this and was told that the PSTN was at no extra charge and I was told it would be €45 per month. There was no mention of the price increasing to €55 at any stage.
    How long is your contract? 

grogi wrote: »
    The contract is 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

grogi wrote: »
    The contract is 18 months.
    Then treat it as a bonus. 
    Nobody can guarantee you a certain price forever - and here you're getting an advantage of knowing that the increase is coming your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, I signed up to a new 18mth contract as part of my moving home package. I asked for a Broadband only package, which I was sure I had seen online, I even queried this with the eir rep, and was told, no, the only option available was eir base at €45 per month(in his defence he did tell me it would increase to €55 after the 18mtjs, but I don't mind that as I will just switch providers)
    At no point did he tell me that I had to sign up online, or if I could sign up online, to avail of the discounted €30 per month for 3mths option.
    Probably because he wanted my order to count towards his sales and not online sales!

Can I now go and cancel the order I placed yesterday over the phone and sign up online instead?

Cherrycola wrote: »
    The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, I signed up to a new 18mth contract as part of my moving home package. I asked for a Broadband only package, which I was sure I had seen online, I even queried this with the eir rep, and was told, no, the only option available was eir base at €45 per month(in his defence he did tell me it would increase to €55 after the 18mtjs, but I don't mind that as I will just switch providers)
    At no point did he tell me that I had to sign up online, or if I could sign up online, to avail of the discounted €30 per month for 3mths option.
    Probably because he wanted my order to count towards his sales and not online sales!

Can I now go and cancel the order I placed yesterday over the phone and sign up online instead?
    Yes, I asked for Eir Broadband Solo, which I had seen online recently, and was told it wasn't available anymore.

This one is called Eir fibre advanced unlimited, and is showing as available online right now.

Hi Cherrycola,

I'm afraid our sales team would not offer the on-line offers as these are only available on-line to new customers.

Unfortunately the standalone option will not always be available at point of sale and you would need to opt to have a land line installed however once the land line is installed we can then check again is the standalone option available. If it is we can then issue a downgrade to broadband only. 

If you wish you can cancel your order and sign up on-line, you can request this via 1901.

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Unfortunately the standalone service will not always be available at point of sale Karsini.

Once the service is installed I would query with the sales team if the standalone option is available, if it is they will be more than happy to place an order for you.

Pamela 

• Advertisement

But it's all the same company, so why couldn't he direct me to the website or tell me that those were online deals only, and give me the opportunity to decide if I wanted to sign up online or with him?!
    I literally said 'I'm sure I saw something online about broadband only for €30 introduction offer...' To which he said no, there is no broadband only offer, he put me on hold to 'go and check' and then returned with the same answer.

So really he lied.

He withheld information and didn't give me the full facts to allow me to make a decision about what product I wanted to buy.

Even if it's a case that I need a landline installed first, before I can avail of a broadband only offer(which in itself sounds like a load of bull), I should have been informed of this and told I can downgrade when that is done

Now the question is CAN I actually downgrade the package I've currently ordered once the installation is complete, with no penalty?

If the installation doesn't happen until 14 days after I placed my order, where does that leave me with the cooling off period?

Does the cooling off period begin on the day my installation happens and my package is activated?
    Or from the day I placed the order?

Unfortunately the standalone service will not always be available at point of sale Karsini.

Once the service is installed I would query with the sales team if the standalone option is available, if it is they will be more than happy to place an order for you.

Pamela 
    My service is already installed and working, it was only when I got the first bill that I noticed this.

To be honest, I'll probably just leave things as they are for now. It won't affect me for 18 months anyway.

But it's all the same company, so why couldn't he direct me to the website or tell me that those were online deals only, and give me the opportunity to decide if I wanted to sign up online or with him?!
    I literally said 'I'm sure I saw something online about broadband only for €30 introduction offer...' To which he said no, there is no broadband only offer, he put me on hold to 'go and check' and then returned with the same answer.

So really he lied.

He withheld information and didn't give me the full facts to allow me to make a decision about what product I wanted to buy.

Even if it's a case that I need a landline installed first, before I can avail of a broadband only offer(which in itself sounds like a load of bull), I should have been informed of this and told I can downgrade when that is done

Now the question is CAN I actually downgrade the package I've currently ordered once the installation is complete, with no penalty?

If the installation doesn't happen until 14 days after I placed my order, where does that leave me with the cooling off period?

Does the cooling off period begin on the day my installation happens and my package is activated?
    Or from the day I placed the order?
    I'm very sorry you feel this way Cherrycola however this would not be the case.
    Our agents would not be aware of these offers as our their offers run independently of the on-line offers. Thanks for your feedback on this offer, I will have this relayed to the relevant department.

We cannot guarantee that a downgrade will be available unfortunately, we can only confirm if this is possible when we prequal your line once it is installed. Our sales team will be able to help you with this. You can contact them on 1800503303, or you can also chat to them online on https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/;

The cooling off period begins once your service is activated.

Pamela

Advertisement