Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must-Have veggie/vegan cookbook?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I know there are a couple of other threads on cook books, but they're not that recent. I'm a new vegetarian, tending towards veganism, and am wondering is there a classic Holy Grail book of veggie/vegan cookery? I like some of Deliciously Ella's stuff (and Minimalist Baker does some lovely stuff too) but I'm looking to expand my repertoire - I'm kinda stuck in 'sweet potato land' at the moment :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I dont really use cook books anymore but get most of my stuff from the web. One Green Planet is great and also vegweb. I follow a few vegan instagram accounts too and they are also great inspiration.

The books I do have are mostly by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Ms Cupcake and Aine Carlin. I also have the Asian vegan kitchen by Hema Parekh and thats really well used!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

The Happy Pear one is good and very easy to get hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm seconding the Internet as the best veg web cookbook :)

My favorite cookbooks are from Bryanna Clark Grogan, Joanne Stepaniak, Yamuna Devi, Tarla Dalal, Lorna J. Sass, and Deborah Madison. Of course, I'm an American and I purchased those cookbooks in America, but they are all very, very good resources.

In particular, I would recommend Deborah Madison's classic "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone", and I hear there is a new edition, "New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone". What I've seen of the new version is impressive. Take a look at the previews on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm seconding the Internet as the best veg web cookbook :)

My favorite cookbooks are from Bryanna Clark Grogan, Joanne Stepaniak, Yamuna Devi, Tarla Dalal, Lorna J. Sass, and Deborah Madison. Of course, I'm an American and I purchased those cookbooks in America, but they are all very, very good resources.

In particular, I would recommend Deborah Madison's classic "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone", and I hear there is a new edition, "New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone". What I've seen of the new version is impressive. Take a look at the previews on Amazon.

Also Deborah Madison's 'I can't believe it's Tofu' is undoubtedly the best one on a specific part of veg*nism.

The Cornucopia book is quite good (especially the desserts), as are the Dennis Cotter books. Both alas since I became Vegan though are of limited use.

Like others mention there's plenty of excellent blogs - try "Keepin' it kind", or "It ain't meat babe" or "Vegan Dad". The PPK has an excellent web forum too.

My latest book (a gift from my better half - i.e. hints on what I should cook for her next) was 'Street Vegan' which I'm looking forward to getting stuck into once the new kitchen gets installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

As far as Irish ones go, I use the Cornucopia, Happy Pear, the Cafe Paradiso ones, Blazing Salads cookbooks. I also love Veganomicon. The Vegan Stoner has a cookbook out now too, which I would love, but no one has bought it for me yet... must drop more hints!

• Advertisement

Also Deborah Madison's 'I can't believe it's Tofu' is undoubtedly the best one on a specific part of veg*nism.

The Cornucopia book is quite good (especially the desserts), as are the Dennis Cotter books. Both alas since I became Vegan though are of limited use.

Like others mention there's plenty of excellent blogs - try "Keepin' it kind", or "It ain't meat babe" or "Vegan Dad". The PPK has an excellent web forum too.

My latest book (a gift from my better half - i.e. hints on what I should cook for her next) was 'Street Vegan' which I'm looking forward to getting stuck into once the new kitchen gets installed.

Oh, "Vegan Dad" is the best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks everyone! Some great recommendations there. I might pick up a couple of them. Any other suggestions?

Yes, in fact. I was a vegan for the sake of health, not necessarily for the sake of compassion. I also loved to cook, and already had an inkling that the flavor of chicken soup consisted largely of the seasonings. I had no particular wish to avoid giving my food the rich flavor of meaty stocks and bits of chewy protein. I found this book in a rummage sale outside a health food store and I immediately knew I was in luck.

Even though I'm no longer a vegetarian (long, low-carb, PCOS story), I still reach for this approachable and exhaustive cookbook written by a truly wise and original man. The book goes in and out of periods where it is unaffordable; I sold off my spare copy for fifty USD when I needed the money once. I am pleased to see that good used copies are once again reasonable. Here is Abbot George Burke's fun cookbook "Simply Heavenly":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0028612671/sr=8-1/qid=1459536235/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1459536235&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

I second Isa Chandra Moskowitz's books, I have (almost) all of them and cook from them regularly.
    Apart from that, I use recipes I find on blogs and the web. Yummly is a good source, they have a vegan filter.
    This thread is giving me some good suggestions, I need to expand my collection soon!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have a few about the house that are good. Vegan Zombie, Vegan Stoner and Nom Yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 thekatydays

Found Aine Carlin Keep it Vegan in T.k.Maxx one day for a couple of euro. It really made me become fully vegan, and she's Irish too. She also has a youtube and a food blog peasoupeats.com

Advertisement