Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plain T-shirts supplier + printing

Options
  • 30-03-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently launched my first e-commerce store and I am very happy with it.

Now got an idea which is totally unrelated to it and will open a separated website for it. This will be very simple and straight forward and won't take too much of my time: I will be selling t-shirts for a very specific target of people, very easy to get started and very scalable. I am currently recruiting a designer as themes will be quite complex, but I should have one ready by next week, now and all I need is:

1) A t-shirt supplier (plain black/white/gray, better if mix of cotton and polyester).
    2) A place to do the printing.

First thought was to simply get a supplier on Alibaba, but then I figure that to get started and test out the marked I'd rather just get a supplier for plain t-shirts locally as with shipping+taxes/duty it wouldn't work out much cheaper than just get a bunch of plain t-shirts in Penneys. My question is whether anybody here knows a good wholesaler for plain, good quality t-shirts that I can get in touch with?

Second a place to print, possibly with discounts for large (but not huge) quantities. At the moment it is hard for me to estimate the volume until I have a few t-shirts ready to run a test. Any link/suggestion is welcome :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Not sure if this is any help to you, but I think there's a place that prints t-shirts on Camden Street - it might help you to get your samples. I can't recall the name of it but it's near to Charlotte Way / Harcourt Street area. You could also check with them about printing for you as they supply shirts, I think.

Another idea is to buy a specific printer and heat press and do them yourselves, once you've sourced the shirts you want that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Blizzard wrote: »
    Not sure if this is any help to you, but I think there's a place that prints t-shirts on Camden Street - it might help you to get your samples. I can't recall the name of it but it's near to Charlotte Way / Harcourt Street area. You could also check with them about printing for you as they supply shirts, I think.

Another idea is to buy a specific printer and heat press and do them yourselves, once you've sourced the shirts you want that is.

Great, thanks! I googled it and I believe is this one: http://www.camdenclothing.ie/ , very interesting! I will go and speak to them.

Yes I was half-thinking about getting a heat press printer, but want to just test out the market at this stage (also I am taking over the house with boxes at the moment and if I buy a heat press now my wife might murder me :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

If you used a penneys t-shirt, you would never see those customers back. Penneys is "throwaway clothing" - that's their market and nothign wrong with that, but if you are selling at a premium price, you will need a premium t-shirt.

as above, camden clothing will be your best bet to try something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just get tee spring to do the heavy lifting for you.

Upload a design, pick a nice tee, get some printed and then see if you can break even.

Hanley wrote: »
    Just get tee spring to do the heavy lifting for you.

Upload a design, pick a nice tee, get some printed and then see if you can break even.

Nice website, didn't know about this. I think is a great concept and is good for some quick $$$ but not really building a business by selling there, I prefer to just put up a website and sell them there - marketing strategy for this one is extremely straight forward anyway and targeted to specific groups on facebook only (no adwords, etc.) , shouldn't be too expensive to get it rolling, and more importantly is very scalable, hopefully can build up a few returning customers relatively quick.

• Advertisement

TripleAce wrote: »
    Nice website, didn't know about this. I think is a great concept and is good for some quick $$$ but not really building a business by selling there, I prefer to just put up a website and sell them there - marketing strategy for this one is extremely straight forward anyway and targeted to specific groups on facebook only (no adwords, etc.) , shouldn't be too expensive to get it rolling, and more importantly is very scalable, hopefully can build up a few returning customers relatively quick.

Yup I get the plan - was just suggesting it as an easy proof of concept before sinking lots of €€€ into it :)

These guys did our hoodies and tees recently: https://www.customking.ie/

Operate on a similar model to tee spring but will source tees and do bespoke services as well if you get in touch directly.

Hanley wrote: »
    Yup I get the plan - was just suggesting it as an easy proof of concept before sinking lots of €€€ into it :)

These guys did our hoodies and tees recently: https://www.customking.ie/

Operate on a similar model to tee spring but will source tees and do bespoke services as well if you get in touch directly.

Added to favourites :) This looks pretty cool (especially the fact not to have to deal with stock/deliveries, etc - not sure how much it takes out of margin though). Would you know if the selling link mentioned can also be integrated into my own website by any chance?
    Thanks a lot!

Today I had finally some free time and was planning to go to town and speak to the guys in camdemclothing but I just noticed now on their website that they are opened only from Monday to Friday :(
    I just wonder if anyone knows whether in their shop is possible to try on the different type of t-shirts they have, I see there is a large choice on their website (http://www.camdenclothing.ie/men/t-shirts/) and I am not sure which type of t-shirt to go for without seeing how they fit. Based on the picture some fit much better than others, but it is not clear whether is based on the type of t-shirt or the different guy wearing it. Will need to try and leave work a bit earlier one day during the week to check it out.

TripleAce wrote: »
    Added to favourites :) This looks pretty cool (especially the fact not to have to deal with stock/deliveries, etc - not sure how much it takes out of margin though). Would you know if the selling link mentioned can also be integrated into my own website by any chance?
    Thanks a lot!

Today I had finally some free time and was planning to go to town and speak to the guys in camdemclothing but I just noticed now on their website that they are opened only from Monday to Friday :(
    I just wonder if anyone knows whether in their shop is possible to try on the different type of t-shirts they have, I see there is a large choice on their website (http://www.camdenclothing.ie/men/t-shirts/) and I am not sure which type of t-shirt to go for without seeing how they fit. Based on the picture some fit much better than others, but it is not clear whether is based on the type of t-shirt or the different guy wearing it. Will need to try and leave work a bit earlier one day during the week to check it out.

I'm not sure. But you can use them as a standard tee producer like Camden Clothing if you'd like too - you don't need to set up the tipping point system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicalin

I do not recommend to buy shirts from Penneys. About alibaba not know what to say, many sellers are offering poor quality products.
    What do you think about: mdpsupplies.ie/garments.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

It really depends on the designs and colourways you wish to use plus volume as to which way you go and there are different costs attached to each type of printing method.
    Printing white on textiles is the main problem faced by designers and printers - I could spend a day explaining the little I know about it but the basics are ...
    Inkjet t shirt transfers. Cheap and cheerful, great for hens, stags, races etc where it is generally a one wear event - downside, must be on a white t shirt or if you press design on a yellow t shirt for example, anything that should be white will be yellow.
    Vinyl flex. Great for simple designs, can be layered - great for sports wear, football strips, simple logos, hi vis etc. Can be put on a cheap cotton t shirt.
    Plastisol transfers. Printed great quality for small designs. Heavy 'hand'. Not the best for repeat washing.
    Sublimation. Great for printing on a white base. Can never fade. Limited fabric and styles.Blank t shirts are expensive.
    DTG printing - for detailed portraits, photos, band t's etc. Best white detailing. Expensive set up and maintenance so needs large print runs.
    So you might ask Joe to do a black on yellow design it will cost x but a band photo on a black t shirt will be considerably more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement