Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can the weights be different on different machines?

• 30-03-2016 11:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Joined a new gym in the last few days. I noticed in my old gym I would be doing legs curls at 55kg at 12 reps. New gym tonight I was able to do leg curls at 70kg for 12 reps. leg curls were the first exercise each night.

Can the weights/machines differ in each gym.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

While weighs mightn't be very accurate it'd be hard to imagine them being off by that much. I guess different leverages if it's a different make of leg curl machine would account for the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yes if it's a different brand it can be quite different with the amount and size of pulleys used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yeah they can , even in the same gym differant machines can be slightly differant , just judge by the resistance your used to and adjust it slightly if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The resistance isn't just about the weight of the plates you lift when it comes to machines.

There's a lot of mechanical elements between the movement and the plates that can make it more difficult/easy.

For example, if there’s a wheel a cable passes over that turns less smoothly than it should => higher resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

I used to be in FlyeFit gym in Ranelagh and they had a machine upstairs (the one you use for triceps pulldowns) and another one downstairs, and the weight of x kg for example was wildly different to the weight of x kg on the other. I wasn't sure if I was going mad or not, and I kept meaning to ask one of the staff members what the story was, but I guess this is my question answered. Well, I think so.... the machines were the same brand. And the difference was quite large. So, I don't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement