Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for Subforum on Startups

Options
  • 31-03-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

I think this would be a good idea as it can bring ideas, cofounders and likeminded people together, would also be good to cover events and hackathons and provide resources. I don't know if this already available, if so, shut me up and lead me in the right direction.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's a new forum request forum that you could search for and post in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Stheno wrote: »
    There's a new forum request forum that you could search for and post in?

Well i thought posting here might drive the conversation, to gauge opinion on the matter. Startups aren't really fond of the aul rubberstamped bureaucracy yeno...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well i thought posting here might drive the conversation, to gauge opinion on the matter. Startups aren't really fond of the aul rubberstamped bureaucracy yeno...

Well the way to get a new forum on here is to follow the aul rubberstamped bureaucracy yeno?

Can't see that it has any value tbh, plenty of chat in here on potential startups.

Is your forum for actual startups, and what do you think it will bring to the table that the current forums don't

Stheno wrote: »
    Well the way to get a new forum on here is to follow the aul rubberstamped bureaucracy yeno?

Can't see that it has any value tbh, plenty of chat in here on potential startups.

Is your forum for actual startups, and what do you think it will bring to the table that the current forums don't

Ah yeah, sher look so be it, the powers that be and all that and anyways. But there is quite a big unorganized underbelly of events, hackathons and groups out there that people could get use out of. Its more about diversifying the conversation away from buying the local pub or hotel (traditional business), to bootstrapping and implementing new ideas from a small basis and scaling. It might also provide ideas on obtaining seed capital from the likes of delta partners or the NDRC.

I personally thing this is a burgeoning area that deserves its own place on boards. If you look at some of the biggest companies in the world right now, many of them were startups.

I personally thing this is a burgeoning area that deserves its own place on boards. If you look at some of the biggest companies in the world right now, many of them were startups.

Ah no I'm not saying it's pointless, but a lot of what you are talking about is already covered in this forum, the development forum, taxation forum etc.

Maybe bringing it all together might be good.

I myself work in a startup, but one that involves a couple of people with a fair bit of experience and knowledge, and industry contacts which mitigate a lot of what we'd otherwise need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Putting it in the new forum request is the route to take, that leads to vote and discussion on it should it get considered. Outside of that there is nothing stopping you starting a thread about startup events and discussing them as long as its not advertising.

Axwell wrote: »
    Putting it in the new forum request is the route to take, that leads to vote and discussion on it should it get considered. Outside of that there is nothing stopping you starting a thread about startup events and discussing them as long as its not advertising.

No no it would be for the benefit of boardskind, thanks for the push in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

If you look at some of the biggest companies in the world right now, many of them were startups.

Never knew that

Buttercake wrote: »
    Never knew that

Think the top five tech companies in terms of revenue/worth are all less than 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Its a good idea, the number of startups that fail because of bad advise is amazing. Would be a great idea to let people pool their knowledge here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Hi folks - as pointed out there is a process in place to request a new sub forum which then if put forward needs votes before it is accepted. It would serve a better purpose to follow that process and vote for it there, as any comments here wont have any bearing on it.

However the current forum does have the business partner sticky which allows for people to look for collaboration. As regards events simply starting a thread about start up events/hackathons would cover that side of things. It only becomes useful if people are adding to it regularly and as I said advertising isn't permitted so there has to be some care as to what is posted.

Any startup will benefit from the knowledge of those currently in business as much as those involved in starting out so starting a whole sub forum seems a bit overkill at the minute and splitting the community needlessly. Over time if there becomes a need to it then its something to look at but right now this forum covers all aspects of business existing or startup.

Advertisement