Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new boat need advice.

• 31-03-2016 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Just lookin for a bit of advice i got my first boat the other day a 15 ft dory cathedral hull boat does anyone know where to get a second hand outboard in limerick or clare? has to be a long shaft the chap I got it off recomended at least 20 HP.. Could I get away with a smaller engine ? 20 hp ones seem are expensive enough.. All I will be using the boat for is fishing in the river Shannon or lakes. Checked done deal and adverts so and found nothing so reckon I'll need to go to a shop does anyone knows any that have reasonable prices .. Im dying to get out for a day in it so need an engine as soon as possible ha thanks in advance for any advice.. I'm aiming for something €700-800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭daveville30

A 10 HP would push that grand. a 15 hp is the same as a 10 little bit more power.you could get a decent yamaha ect for 600-700

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

Thanks for the reply.. Ah that's a relief that's a lot more in my price range the ones I seen on done deal were €1000 and more.. Would you get one in a shop that cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭daveville30

Shops are bit dearer.nice yamaha on adverts for 700 there good engines.you could always put a small aux engine on as well as a back up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Best to measure the transom first some of them were short shaft, if it's 15" from the top of the transom to the bottom of the hull it's a short shaft and if it's 20"-21" it's a long shaft. They are quite a heavy boat and with a 15 hp it might be hard to get on the plane especially if you have passengers, try and get a lone of an engine off someone and see how it feels before you spend your money.
    Is yours an open boat or do you have a cabin.
    Also keep in mind if you buy an engine keep some money back to have it serviced and to get a new impeller fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AGonn

Lake Boat for fly fishing,

i need some advice in lake boats, I've been fly fishing all my life and i'm now at the stage where i would likw to invest in a lake boat. This i hope will in time be handed down to my childern for them to uses. Firstly i need a safe boat that can take a wave if caught in unfavourable condition. I my experience in mostly with sheelin boats and i'm to believe that the wide beam is a good choice, from what i down Lynch and Ganley's are to be a good choice of boat that are suitable for Coon, Corrib & Mask. I have a 10Hp Honda 4 stroke and would be looking to change to a 15 in time however the engine i have is about 44Kg and its heavy, Heavy enough that a Sheelin boat probably needs Hydro Foils?? Aqua Planes on the Stern? Not 100% on the lingo but im sure you get the idea. Either way, i really like the look of the Ganely, However there are Arrow, Lynch, Davidson, Burke, Sheelin etc. I.m a big enough guy and on most boats i've been on i have noticed that the throttle arm can be difficult to maneuver however i have noticed boats where the pilot seat is forward from the engine making it more comfortable. i think this is a major consideration, also i would like peoples opinions on fiber glass in comparison to timber frame. and ballasts i thinks these are incorporated into most of lynches boats. as i said this is a one off buy and i hope to make as good a decision as i can with the information i have and hopefully my children will get this use from this boat too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi AGonn I don't know much about these boats but I'd say your best choice would be fibreglass as you have no maintenance and it should last long enough for the next generation also they can be a good bit lighter than the wooden ones so easier for launching. Have a look at the Sheelin
    Sea Charger they have a 6'2" beam so it would be very stable.

AGonn wrote: »
    Lake Boat for fly fishing,

i need some advice in lake boats, I've been fly fishing all my life and i'm now at the stage where i would likw to invest in a lake boat. This i hope will in time be handed down to my childern for them to uses. Firstly i need a safe boat that can take a wave if caught in unfavourable condition. I my experience in mostly with sheelin boats and i'm to believe that the wide beam is a good choice, from what i down Lynch and Ganley's are to be a good choice of boat that are suitable for Coon, Corrib & Mask. I have a 10Hp Honda 4 stroke and would be looking to change to a 15 in time however the engine i have is about 44Kg and its heavy, Heavy enough that a Sheelin boat probably needs Hydro Foils?? Aqua Planes on the Stern? Not 100% on the lingo but im sure you get the idea. Either way, i really like the look of the Ganely, However there are Arrow, Lynch, Davidson, Burke, Sheelin etc. I.m a big enough guy and on most boats i've been on i have noticed that the throttle arm can be difficult to maneuver however i have noticed boats where the pilot seat is forward from the engine making it more comfortable. i think this is a major consideration, also i would like peoples opinions on fiber glass in comparison to timber frame. and ballasts i thinks these are incorporated into most of lynches boats. as i said this is a one off buy and i hope to make as good a decision as i can with the information i have and hopefully my children will get this use from this boat too.

Advertisement