Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been given no work or guidance in new role

Options
  • 31-03-2016 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently on a foreign secondment with work, have been here 4 months now. Since the start, I have been given no objectives, no clear idea of my role, what is expected from me, daily achievables etc. It's a manufacturing company and I am used to being very busy in this role at home. The idea is to be here in an 'advisory capacity' and work as a sort of communciation channel with the factory back home, but no one here asks me anything, they seem perfectly content going it alone. I have no clear area of ownership like at home.

As a result I'm bored out of my mind and daily mood is starting to suffer quite a bit. It doesn't help that I have a 5 hour commute in total each day to be here and am wondering why I am bothering at all. I have managed to secure a position with another company back home which sounds amazing and I'm really looking forward to, but it doesn't start for another 12 weeks so I have to suck it up here for now. I would like to have achieved something here before I leave so it isn't a total write off.

I feel I should be off running around finding problems on my own, but I don't know where to begin and just feel worse about myself. I work best with at least some guidance. My manager came out here at the same time as me so is also clueless about how it all works here and has been no help.

I am so fed up this week that I am definitely going to my manager next week (when he is back from his latest holiday) and telling him my frustrations, but does anyone have any advice about how to be pro-active in work when things are in a massive lull? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you have another job lined up in 12 weeks time with contracts signed are you financially in a position to leave now?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I would like to have achieved something here before I leave so it isn't a total write off.
    Look for the person that does what your role at home is, and shadow them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get proactive. Ask questions, don't wait for them to be asked of you.

Involve yourself in your areas of expertise. Make notes on differences (good and bad).

Communicate your findings to base, and Cc your manager.

Study processes, costs, quality.

Talk to line staff, support staff and 'housekeeping' staff. Ask them how they would improve things if they could.

Find possible cost savings.

Talk to managers - as high up as you can go.

Be discreet.

Remember, it's only 12 weeks...

Can you not relocate closer to work - even if it costs you more?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement