Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

• 31-03-2016 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    Im a 33yr old male and want to get started driving. I bought a Ford Focus 04 1.4lt.
    I have zero previous experience driving and I am after my Learning Permit.
    I live in the countryside and I got a quote today from Liberty Insurance of 5155EURO.

Am i daft to think this is crazy crazy expensive?

Your help and advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

try Aviva, Zurich, chill, powers insurance in limerick are a broker and are very good.

write off an hour in the day and ring them all, you could probably half that quote at least.

from my experience on line quotes are a waste of time and is always beaten when you ring them up and talk to a real person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You should be looking for a quote that's < 1500. Have a look a the motor's forum, there's a thread with people's insurance quotes. Will give you an idea of what is reasonable for your age and experience and also the massive differences in quotes. Also remember that they are bunch of lying scamming bastards! :)

Insurance thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pollough

Thanks. The 5155 quote is way to expensive, the car is worth 1200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Pollough wrote: »
    Thanks. The 5155 quote is way to expensive, the car is worth 1200.

It is not what the car is worth, it is the damage that you, an inexperienced driver, can do to others with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Two mistakes done directly; to old car and to big engine. Expect your quote to be in the 2k+ area no matter the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nody wrote: »
    Two mistakes done directly; to old car and to big engine. Expect your quote to be in the 2k+ area no matter the company.

Lol, a 1.4 :D, you have to love Ireland.

On a series note it could possibly be your employment you have down too that is rising the premium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lol, a 1.4 :D, you have to love Ireland
    For a first time insurer it actually is, a 1.0 is really preferable for the first year or two :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm driving a 1.4 and just got quoted for €1400 from liberty, driving 6 years, with 5 of them claim free.

Even third party, fire, and thief was over a grand. My last renewal was 455 fully comp from a broker.

If this is the way prices are going, might go back to a 1l or 1.2 my self.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'm driving a 1.4 and just got quoted for €1400 from liberty, driving 6 years, with 5 of them claim free.

Even third party, fire, and thief was over a grand. My last renewal was 455 fully comp from a broker.

If this is the way prices are going, might go back to a 1l or 1.2 my self.
    Two questions really; how long ago was the accident and what year is the car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Try Blue Insurance, i was quoted Eur949 for my renewal and got it for Eur563 fully comp for the same cover. They also do 2 year policies with a discount if you go for this option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Nody wrote: »
    Two questions really; how long ago was the accident and what year is the car?

Over 5 years ago, year 2006. Although liberty only ask if accident in the last three.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Over 5 years ago, year 2006. Although liberty only ask if accident in the last three.
    Then that's a very odd combination; it's not that old yet (usually the issue starts around 12 years) and the accident is old enough to not matter. Guess for whatever reason you don't fit in their profile this year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crey86

It's nothing short of a scandal at this stage, I'm just shy of 30 10years no claims/no penalty points/Full Irish licence. 03 VW Passat 1.9tdi €1500. With my history it's the closest thing to free money they can expect I'm raging.

Apparently the car being over ten years old is a major contributor to the cost.

Crey86 wrote: »
    It's nothing short of a scandal at this stage, I'm just shy of 30 10years no claims/no penalty points/Full Irish licence. 03 VW Passat 1.9tdi €1500. With my history it's the closest thing to free money they can expect I'm raging.

Apparently the car being over ten years old is a major contributor to the cost.
    Government needs to do something about this. It's a joke.

Government needs to do something about this. It's a joke.
    They did; they implemented the quango to reduce solicitors which now has 93% solicitors in all cases anyway (adding cost to the insurance company which is charged back), then they raised the amount the judges could order paid out which raised the claim amounts by 38% for the same type of injuries. Today over 80% of all insurance claims come with "whiplash" where in the rest of developed world it's at around 3%.

And this is before we start talking about the judges who'll give pretty much anyone money if asked for it and if caught cheating will be told to stop being naughty and released directly "because the insurance companies can afford it". Well they can "afford it" because they charge the cost on to the insurance holders (I'm still waiting to see the central bank figures for 2015 but in 2014 the insurance companies were making a loss before someone starts ranting about how they got money to spend)...

The problem is in the law and the enforcement of the laws (or rather lack off enforcement) which is 100% on the governments table...

Saw two cars stopped the other day after one apparently rear ended by the other. No visible damage although I saw the guy in the first car rubbing his neck while talking to the other driver. Felt like getting out and punching him. Give him a real reason to go to hospital.

Advertisement