Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Certificate of Registration

• 31-03-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

The listed deadline for dog owners to obtain a certificate of Registration and microchipping is tmrw.

So I have a dog that's is now 12 years old and has been chipped since I got him. I have the details of his chip and the database he is registered with.

I have attempted to update his details online via the database holder and obtaim the cerificate required and no go whatsover

The various recognised databases don't appear to have any method of updating older dog registration directly.

They provide a form which to fill out and submit for manual processing plus fee - however
    one of databases mentions nothing about obtaining a certificate at all - just updating details!

The ncm website (which appears to be an umbrella site for certification) however only deals with one database

A statement by the Minister who set the legislation in place said that if your dog was microchipped and predated the regulations you were grand however that's ncm.ie and other sites are now saying their not!

My vet has advised for an existing dog it is very difficult for him to attempt and update an existing animals details as he has to input his details and then on processing go back and change them to assign them to the actual owner for any existing entries. (This seemingly doesn't apply to new registrations). With many dogs treated in his practice he would need to employ extra staff just to deal with this.

Considering there are an estimated 800,000 existing dogs in the state surely to dog the responsible agencies could have got this system right so owners can do this without multiple form filling and confusion of the system set up.

Any body found an easier way to do this for older dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's a backlog atm so I wouldn't be too worried just yet. I didn't think there was a point getting the certs and thought it was a bit of a scam tbh but then my mum told me to get them because the dogs are with her during the day and she says she's not letting some randomer scan them if they come knocking on the door - because the dogs mightn't like it! haha :p Haven't gotten a mail back from fido yet to pay for the cert - my own fault as we've known for ages but I'm willing to risk it! We have a vets appointment tomorrow so I'll be interested to see if they do anything differently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I was at my vet this morning and the amount of forms they have going out in the post for new microchips is unreal. Whilst I was there 3 people also came in and asked what they have to do with existing microchips. There have been radio ads mentioning the €5,000 fine, so it appears that it is really being noticed, and people complying. I wonder how much the certificates are actually costing to produce, and how much the income from them will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I'd like to think they are not going to crack down too hard at the beginning. I got one of my dogs chipped about 2 months ago and I have still not received a cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It took 8 or 9 days for me to get a reply from fido.ie to get my certificates. I was curious as to the point of the certificate, the only credible thing that I've read is that it's needed for transfer of ownership. Which won't be happening with my dogs anyway, so I'm not panicking if they haven't landed in the post by tomorrow. The important thing is that they are registered to me in case they get lost or stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It took 8 or 9 days for me to get a reply from fido.ie to get my certificates. I was curious as to the point of the certificate, the only credible thing that I've read is that it's needed for transfer of ownership. Which won't be happening with my dogs anyway, so I'm not panicking if they haven't landed in the post by tomorrow. The important thing is that they are registered to me in case they get lost or stolen.

I think it is being touted as necessary for recovery if the Animal strays and need to be reclaimed. Unfortunately so much of the information and media reporting on this is vague at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I went to register a chip today with Fido & I can no longer do it. I now have to go to a vet to change some basic details. I don't know if the site is down or not but I also can't see any other of my dogs details. I can see this being a disaster.

Knine wrote: »
    I went to register a chip today with Fido & I can no longer do it. I now have to go to a vet to change some basic details. I don't know if the site is down or not but I also can't see any other of my dogs details. I can see this being a disaster.

This is what I experience as well. I think this may be to charge for changing details etc

For Fido the only option appears to be is to go to the http://www.ncm.ie/pet-details/ page fill out the details and submit or print and post.

This is not going to encourage people to get existing dogs certified imo

gozunda wrote: »
    This is what I experience as well. I think this may be to charge for changing details etc

For Fido the only option appears to be is to go to the http://www.ncm.ie/pet-details/ page fill out the details and submit or print and post.

This is not going to encourage people to get existing dogs certified imo

I have already paid the charge. This is for a keeper from my last litter. I use Fido because it was easy for my new owners to update their details. I will revise that in the future if this is going to be the case. I will have a look at that website thanks.

I already have IKC paperwork with chip details on it.

I think that their thinking is that anyone can register any details they want, if they do it themselves, so the legislation is useless. By making everyone go to a vet, there is some accountability, as you now have to take in ID to prove your name and address.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I think that their thinking is that anyone can register any details they want, if they do it themselves, so the legislation is useless. By making everyone go to a vet, there is some accountability, as you now have to take in ID to prove your name and address.

The reputable people might go to the vet but the usual Rover only goes for a run around the block type won't bother. What happens when I transfer a dog. Do both of us go to the vet or can anyone walk in off the street with a chipped dog & claim it is theirs & change the current details.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    The reputable people might go to the vet but the usual Rover only goes for a run around the block type won't bother. What happens when I transfer a dog. Do both of us go to the vet or can anyone walk in off the street with a chipped dog & claim it is theirs & change the current details.

If they don't go to a vet though, and verify their identity, then they can't register the chip, and will fall foul of the law.

Very good point about the transfer of ownership, I don't know if from now on, people selling dogs have to also check the buyer's ID? I think (hope) that this will actually stop people being able to steal or buy stolen dogs and just change the chip details. Because each dog will have to have a certificate, without the bit from the previous owner, they won't be able to get the details changed.

If they don't go to a vet though, and verify their identity, then they can't register the chip, and will fall foul of the law.

Very good point about the transfer of ownership, I don't know if from now on, people selling dogs have to also check the buyer's ID? I think (hope) that this will actually stop people being able to steal or buy stolen dogs and just change the chip details. Because each dog will have to have a certificate, without the bit from the previous owner, they won't be able to get the details changed.

Yes actually that makes sense. It will be probably be like the transfer of ownership IKC form. I know the IKC register the details so I am sure my pup is registered to me but on the off chance I will be getting a vet to send off her Fido details also.

My issue arose from an older dog chipped 12 years ago who is on the database but whom I can't directly request a certificate for online.

I have to submit a form for
    1. Their staff (non vet) to check details that I already know is in their satabase
    2. To then get back to me
    3. For me to pay the 'fee' for their 'check'
    4. Then they issue a certificate

Ridiculous setup if you ask me ....

Then there is no communication between the various databases :mad:

My issue arose from an older dog chipped 12 years ago who is on the database but whom I can't directly request a certificate for online.

1. Their staff (non vet) to check details that I already know is in their satabase

I agree, it is wrong that those of us who have been responsible in the past and microchipped, even when it wasn't law, now have to go through this rigmarole and pay extra.

I agree, it is wrong that those of us who have been responsible in the past and microchipped, even when it wasn't law, now have to go through this rigmarole and pay extra.

+1 (although I just paid for Lucy's!)

On the way home on the same stretch of road I saw 3 dogs - 2 were pooing and one was sitting with it's bum in the air chewing on something.. All out unaccompanied but in an area where the law doesn't apply to anyone! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

How much is the fee ?
    I can't find it listed on the Fido.ie site

As usual , it's the average law abiding citizen gets to pay yet another fee , while anybody who doesn't care about their dogs will still let them roam , and deny ownership if challenged .

Surely this should be replacing the annual dog licence instead of being another charge .

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I rescued my dog from a shelter 9 years ago so he would have been microchipped then. I don't know if I ever got a certificate, but if I did, I'm not sure where it is (need to have a good look!). To check on fido.ie I need his chip number. Is there any way of inputting details without having his chip number?
    Also, how will this be regulated and checked?

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I rescued my dog from a shelter 9 years ago so he would have been microchipped then. I don't know if I ever got a certificate, but if I did, I'm not sure where it is (need to have a good look!). To check on fido.ie I need his chip number. Is there any way of inputting details without having his chip number?
    Also, how will this be regulated and checked?

You wouldn't have got a certificate as they didn't issue them then. Your vet may have a record of the chip number, mine does of my dogs, even the ones that they didn't chip, they scan the dogs each year when they have their booster.

I don't think anyone really knows how it is going to be regulated and checked, I think you now have to have the certificate to renew your dog license, and if your dog ever goes missing you will need to produce the certificate to get them back from the pound.

You wouldn't have got a certificate as they didn't issue them then. Your vet may have a record of the chip number, mine does of my dogs, even the ones that they didn't chip, they scan the dogs each year when they have their booster.

I don't think anyone really knows how it is going to be regulated and checked, I think you now have to have the certificate to renew your dog license, and if your dog ever goes missing you will need to produce the certificate to get them back from the pound.

I don't think my vet has ever scanned him. Would his chip number have been on any documents from the rescue? I was young at the time and not at home at the minute so have to tell my parents what to look for.
    Thanks again!

I don't think my vet has ever scanned him. Would his chip number have been on any documents from the rescue? I was young at the time and not at home at the minute so have to tell my parents what to look for.
    Thanks again!

You used to get a card with the details and a code for changing the details if you needed to, A5ish size.

There is a box, usually in the top right corner of vaccination cards for the chip number, I would always put one of the little stickers with the chip number in there, or they may have handwritten it in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thanks again!

MaxiZoo have chip scanners and will check FOC if that's handier than the vets.

ninja 12 wrote: »
    How much is the fee ?
    I can't find it listed on the Fido.ie site

As usual , it's the average law abiding citizen gets to pay yet another fee , while anybody who doesn't care about their dogs will still let them roam , and deny ownership if challenged .

Surely this should be replacing the annual dog licence instead of being another charge .

The Fido certificate site is listed as http://www.ncm.ie
    Asfaik you need to submit their form on http://www.ncm.ie/pet-details/ to start the process the get a certificate

Best of luck. So far I've heard nothing ...

It's €4.50 for the cert. No mention of the chip when I went to the vets earlier but they know me since Bailey is one of their best customers so wasn't expecting them to lol! :p

Hmmm, here's a question, if anyone knows the answer. All of my dogs are microchipped and passported. Their passports have my name and address, and a photo of the dog. Would that be acceptable under the new legislation, in place of a certificate? I guess it probably isn't, as the certificate seems to be what is needed to change any details on the database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

The Fido certificate site is listed as http://www.ncm.ie
    Asfaik you need to submit their form on http://www.ncm.ie/pet-details/ to start the process the get a certificate

Best of luck. So far I've heard nothing ...

Filled in the form a little while ago , even though our dog is registered with Fido.ie .

Now just have to wait , the Fido site had a notice earlier about being inundated , and that there would be delays .

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Filled in the form a little while ago , even though our dog is registered with Fido.ie .

Now just have to wait , the Fido site had a notice earlier about being inundated , and that there would be delays .

NCM is Fido Afaik

On the http://wwww.mcn.ie/pet-details Web page it says
    You will be contacted by email after Fido staff have examined your case and determined the next step. (Fido aims to keep administrative fees to the minimum.)

No other database ie Ani-mark or PetTrace listed

If you trawl thru the pages it also details the link

The whole registration thing is as clear as a large bucket of mud tbh

Hmmm, here's a question, if anyone knows the answer. All of my dogs are microchipped and passported. Their passports have my name and address, and a photo of the dog. Would that be acceptable under the new legislation, in place of a certificate? I guess it probably isn't, as the certificate seems to be what is needed to change any details on the database.

I don't think so

This
    ) Adults
    + From March 31st 2016, all dogs must be microchipped, their details registered on an approved database, and their owners must have a certificate from the database to prove this.
    + From March 31st 2016, it will be illegal to sell, supply, buy or take ownership of a dog that does not have a certificate of microchip registration from an approved database.
    + It will be the responsibility of the registered owner of the dog to ensure that the details stored on the database are always correct and up to date and they should inform the database of changes to addresses and contact details if they occur. These changes must also be recorded on the certificate.
    + Any dog microchipped prior to the commencement of these regulations DO NOT need to be re-chipped. The owner must however ensure that their details are stored on an approved database, their details are correct and the database will then supply them with a certificate confirming this.There will be a small cost for getting this done.

http://www.petethevet.com/wp/vet-spot-on-newstalks-pat-kenny-show-compulsory-microchipping-of-all-dogs-in-ireland-is-about-to-happen/

The legislation just states a certificate, to a format that the the DoA approve, I couldn't find anywhere what exactly the certificate has to state, or the format of it.

The legislation just states a certificate, to a format that the the DoA approve, I couldn't find anywhere what exactly the certificate has to state, or the format of it.

Ya the whole info thing is a disaster. From the link above it details
    The owner must however ensure that their details are stored on an approved database, their details are correct and the database will then supply them with a certificate confirming this.There will be a small cost for getting this done.

I have one of the old style "certificates" but was I informed as it it's no longer valid

Go to this link

https://www.fido.ie/
    And in the Need help section there is a drop down titled
    My dog Is chipped, Do I need a cert ...
    What does the certificate look like

https://www.fido.ie/graphics/cert.jpg

• Advertisement

Ya the whole info thing is a disaster. From the link above it details

I have one of the old style "certificates" but was I informed as it it's no longer valid

Go to this link

https://www.fido.ie/
    And in the Need help section there is a drop down titled
    My dog Is chipped, Do I need a cert ...
    What does the certificate look like

https://www.fido.ie/graphics/cert.jpg

Ah I know, just looking for a loophole so I don't have to fork out all that money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

From the regs:

A dog identification database shall be capable of producing a certificate
    containing the information specified in Regulation 5(2) in respect of a dog whose details are entered on the database (“certificate of registration”).

Per Reg 5(2) the info the certificate has to contain is:

(a) the unique identifier of the microchip inserted in the dog,
    (b) the date of insertion of microchip,
    (c) the date of birth of the dog,
    (d) description of the dog which may include breed, colour and markings,
    (e) the sex of the dog,
    (f) the address of the premises where the dog is normally kept,
    (g) the name, address and contact details of the owner and, if different,
    person having possession or control of the dog,
    (h) the identity (including a unique identifying code assigned by the Database operator) of the person who microchips and registers a dog,
    (i) details (cause, date and place) of the death of the dog, and
    (j) details and date of the loss of the dog.

I don't have my dog's passport to hand to check if that's all included?

The regs are here in case anyone is looking for them btw: www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/63/made/en/pdf

Choc Chip wrote: »
    From the regs:

A dog identification database shall be capable of producing a certificate
    containing the information specified in Regulation 5(2) in respect of a dog whose details are entered on the database (“certificate of registration”).

Per Reg 5(2) the info the certificate has to contain is:

(a) the unique identifier of the microchip inserted in the dog,
    (b) the date of insertion of microchip,
    (c) the date of birth of the dog,
    (d) description of the dog which may include breed, colour and markings,
    (e) the sex of the dog,
    (f) the address of the premises where the dog is normally kept,
    (g) the name, address and contact details of the owner and, if different,
    person having possession or control of the dog,
    (h) the identity (including a unique identifying code assigned by the Database operator) of the person who microchips and registers a dog,
    (i) details (cause, date and place) of the death of the dog, and
    (j) details and date of the loss of the dog.

I don't have my dog's passport to hand to check if that's all included?

The regs are here in case anyone is looking for them btw: www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/63/made/en/pdf

I think it is, the only thing that may not be on the passport would be the code of the microchipper, but as some of my dogs were done in England before we moved back, I doubt that would be on a Fido issued certificate anyway. I know that vets now have to put their address and phone number on the passports. Hmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I just applied there to get my dogs' certificates. Tbh the first I heard of it was yesterday :eek:

I wonder if someone could help me. What happens in the case of an adopted dog where the charity have kept the dog registered to them? My parents' dog has always been microchipped but charity said they wanted their details on the chip :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Can you ask them if the charity can be on as the secondary contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Latatian wrote: »
    Can you ask them if the charity can be on as the secondary contact?

I sent charity an email today about it. I am sure it won't be a problem. I asked them for the details at the time of adoption but they said all the dogs stay registered to charity. The dog was an assistance dog.

When I logged into my fido I requested the certificates for my dogs but wasn't asked for payment....are they free?

Apologies if this has already been answered but What is the purpose of these certificates? Is it for the dog warden? I am sure I already got a piece of paper 8 years ago from fido about my dogs.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I just applied there to get my dogs' certificates. Tbh the first I heard of it was yesterday :eek:

I wonder if someone could help me. What happens in the case of an adopted dog where the charity have kept the dog registered to them? My parents' dog has always been microchipped but charity said they wanted their details on the chip :confused:

This is actually a major worry for rescues, as up till this point, if a dog adopted from them ended up in the pound, they would be notified and could take the dog back into their care if necessary. From now on, they will be unable to trace any of their dogs, so if circumstances change and the dog ends up in trouble, they will be unable to give the back up they want to. It will be up to the owner whether they put the rescue down as a second contact or not.

Thankfully I found the microchip number. Turns out my dog is registered on two databases (according to http://www.europetnet.com), Animark and Irish Kennel Club. Should I apply for the certificate on one of those? I don't see a link for requesting certificates, just to register. Fido.ie seems to be the one to request it for?
    Also on one of them it says it was updated last year but I'm fairly sure we didn't change anything.

Mine said the same thing, don't know what that was about. I have written to both of them to enquire about the certificate- since the websites don't offer it as an option. This was about 10 days ago though and no answer yet but they are probably pretty busy.

You cannot request a certificate from Fido.ie at the moment 'cos they're not registered on it. You can re-register them on Fido.ie for about 15 euro but/and then they'll be registered on three databases.

It would be a good idea to check with the IKC and Animark that your details are up to date anyway?

Mine said the same thing, don't know what that was about. I have written to both of them to enquire about the certificate- since the websites don't offer it as an option. This was about 10 days ago though and no answer yet but they are probably pretty busy.

You cannot request a certificate from Fido.ie at the moment 'cos they're not registered on it. You can re-register them on Fido.ie for about 15 euro but/and then they'll be registered on three databases.

It would be a good idea to check with the IKC and Animark that your details are up to date anyway?

Thank you for your reply. It says on http://www.ncm.ie/pet-details/ that you can input your details and they will check it on fido.ie, but I'm confused as to whether I send my details to that website or not seeing as it doesn't say anything about IKC or Animark, and I am not registered with fido.ie. I can't find any way of checking the database on IKC or Animark so I have sent them both an email. I don't want to pay more for fido for a third database if I can get it cheaper with the ones I'm already registered with. At least I have the microchip number, saves a lot of hassle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

Millem wrote: »

My 2 youngest came from a rescue in Dublin who kept the chip registered to them. When I logged into my Fido account during the week they are now both registered to me. As part of this change they can no longer keep the details in their name.

• Advertisement

This is actually a major worry for rescues, as up till this point, if a dog adopted from them ended up in the pound, they would be notified and could take the dog back into their care if necessary. From now on, they will be unable to trace any of their dogs, so if circumstances change and the dog ends up in trouble, they will be unable to give the back up they want to. It will be up to the owner whether they put the rescue down as a second contact or not.

From FAQ on the Dept of Agriculture site
    I run a Dog Pound or Animal rescue, can I chip dogs which have come into my care.
    Yes, there is an exemption in the rules for Local Authority Dog Pounds, animal welfare charities and hunt clubs. This process must still be done either by a Vet or Vet nurse or a person who has been trained to do so on a course run by an authorised database. Furthermore the dogs must be registered on and given certification from an Authorised database.

I run an animal rescue and usually foster out dogs. Do I have to transfer their ownership to their new owner’s name?
    Some welfare groups maintain a dog’s chip registered in their own name while fostering dogs to potential new owners. The Approved Databases can accommodate this with separate owner and keeper details. In the longer term it would be seen as good practice for ownership to be transferred to the new owner if they are an “owner for life”. If registration is kept in the NGO’s name may have legal implications making the NGO liable or jointly liable where a dog causes harm. This however, remains a choice for the individual NGO.
    Some databases have indicated that if a dog is found repeatedly straying and was previously owned by a rescue they may contact the rescue as well. This is a matter to be worked out between you and the database with which you register dogs

See:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/dogmicrochipping/FAQdogmicrochipping041215.doc

Here is another link for Fido to update dogs already registered on their database

https://www.fido.ie/chipcheck

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ray Noble

Animark are still useless. I registered 2 microchip numbers with them weeks ago online for which they took payment, all I got was an email telling me payment was pending. It still shows pending despite them having taken the money from my account. Several emails later from me and I am still awaiting a response. I contacted Europetnet which is the european chip database. They told me Animark are registered with them but have failed to update their database. It would appear I have complied with the letter of the law regarding the recent legislation but anyone checking my dogs chips will fail to find my details. I will try phoning them to see if anyone will answer the phone as clearly their web site is manned only by a robot.

Bailey's cert came in the post, no sign of Lucy's who I requested the day before his! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    Bailey's cert came in the post, no sign of Lucy's who I requested the day before his! :p

I got Cocos on Monday, no sign of Benson or Buddys yet!

How long did it take them to arrive? Vet said it usually takes two weeks- which would mean mine would be due now-ish- but I'd expect a bit of a delay given that they're probably up to their ears in requests.

How long did it take them to arrive? Vet said it usually takes two weeks- which would mean mine would be due now-ish- but I'd expect a bit of a delay given that they're probably up to their ears in requests.

I paid for Lucy's on the 31st and Bailey's on the 1st!

I paid for my certs in the last week of March, so 2 weeks ish for the first one to arrive.

I wonder are they going through them by original date registered? I registered Coco in late 2007 but Benson didn't arrive here until 2011 Buddy was late 2014 when I transferred him into my name. Would explain why Baileys landed before Lucys too?

Ray Noble wrote: »
    Animark are still useless. I registered 2 microchip numbers with them weeks ago online for which they took payment, all I got was an email telling me payment was pending. It still shows pending despite them having taken the money from my account. Several emails later from me and I am still awaiting a response. I contacted Europetnet which is the european chip database. They told me Animark are registered with them but have failed to update their database. It would appear I have complied with the letter of the law regarding the recent legislation but anyone checking my dogs chips will fail to find my details. I will try phoning them to see if anyone will answer the phone as clearly their web site is manned only by a robot.

I previously emailed Ani-mark but never got any response from them. You can rereg your chip to the other listed databases if you get no go from them.

I emailed both Animark and IKC as my dog is registered with both but didn't receive a reply from either. I don't want to pay more money to register him on fido.ie for a third database, but there is nothing that I can see on either site about getting an actual certificate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement