Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about new job and pregnancy.

Options
  • 31-03-2016 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a job 6 weeks ago. Last week I found out I'm six weeks pregnant. My job is a one year fixed term but I have no doubt that was just done starting off - the intention being if I'm good I'll stay. I love my new job but I'm bricking it telling them I'm pregnant. I'll be on maternity leave when my fixed term expires. Should I offer to come back early? I probably won't want to but I'll consider it if I get to keep my job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I started a job 6 weeks ago. Last week I found out I'm six weeks pregnant. My job is a one year fixed term but I have no doubt that was just done starting off - the intention being if I'm good I'll stay. I love my new job but I'm bricking it telling them I'm pregnant. I'll be on maternity leave when my fixed term expires. Should I offer to come back early? I probably won't want to but I'll consider it if I get to keep my job.

its a tough one, firstly congrats on your pregnancy.

secondly, you dont actually have to tell you employer (depending on the role ie office v manual labour) that you are pregnant for approx 6 months.

however its best to let them know out of mutual respect for time off for appointments etc

realistically you will not be able to fulfil your contract however this does not mean that for the 9 months you do work out of the 12 contracted that it will not be renewed after.

its tough because they could use it as an excuse to not renew and theres no problem with this, but if your good and they like you then they could renew and you would be fine.

dont offer to come back early. one because ive had staff say it to me and it never happens, and the only time it did happen the poor woman pushed herself to hard and ended up leaving anyway- maternity leave is vital for your health and recovery after birth and its a nice time to spend with the little one before heading back to work.

tell them you are preggers when you are comfortable in this situation i would recommend telling with within the 3-4 month mark.

Tell them you enjoy the job and that you are good at it and would hope that post pregnancy that the role would still be open for you via a renewal of contract after you have proved your worth.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Hi OP,

Congrats!

I would be upfront with your boss as soon as you are comfortable with announcing the news in general. It's not ldeal, but your best chance of securing the best outcome here is to give the heads up ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Good advice given above. Best of luck.

Advertisement