Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Burren Marathon Challenge

Options
  • 31-03-2016 11:37am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like I'm going to be in the right part of the country at the right time to give this event a go:

http://www.clareburrenmarathonchallenge.com/

I think I'll only be able to spare the time to do the half version rather than the full. Anyone done this before? How hilly are the hills? Is it trail running, how off road is is the off road-ness of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I done the half a few years back, it's hilly to say the least. First few miles are on road heading out of Ballyvaughan towards Lisdoonvarna. You start climbing then up a farmers dirt road and up into the hills of the Burren. It was very warm the year I did it so just wore normal road shoes, but with all the lose stones underfoot it would be quiet dangerous if wet.

There is a bit of road running atop of the Burren but mostly stony trail. Similar to Fell running in England. It's a great race and nice atmosphere about Ballyvaughan after, distance may be a bit off as no roads to work off for the whole route. Year I done the half it measured 13.5 miles but don't let that put you off, on a good day the scenery is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Have done the both the half and full. Will be doing the full again this year so I hope to catch up again. Half is a more technically difficult course then the full, there is a steep climb and descent between 9 & 11 which is off road. On a dry day its okay but I done it on a very wet day and trail shoes really where needed in the conditions.

aside from that its a great race, walking club do a great job especially with the aid/food stations along both routes. I would highly recommend it but maybe leave the buggy with herself at the start :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The plan is to leave the buggy with a grandparent whilst we both run one of the different distances (10km and half), assuming the weather is nice enough to leave a grandparent roaming the streets of Ballyvaughan alone for a while.

How much of a time deficit ontop of your flat course time would you reckon the half course is?

Just want to get a vague idea of how long I'd be out for. The last trail distance race I did ended up taking nearly twice my marathon PB time, partially down to weather as well as the course profile. I'd not want to be out for too long as we'll have birthday cakes to get back to eat and blow a candle out on. :D

I ran 1.53.xx I think and was averaging 1.35.xx on a normal half route then. But I did take it easy atop of the Burren taking in the scenery, say lost 2-3 mins there looking around running easy. As ger664 said the climb/decent between 9-11 miles is tough and tricky. I didn't mention it as I presumed you were doing the full.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would like to do the full, but I think that wouldn't be fair on the support crew on this occasion so we're figuring that I'd get round the half in a time that's not too annoyingly much longer than herself doing the 10km for the supporters.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Would like to do the full, but I think that wouldn't be fair on the support crew on this occasion so we're figuring that I'd get round the half in a time that's not too annoyingly much longer than herself doing the 10km for the supporters.

It's a great race & one I want to do again in the future, plenty of water stops to up in the mountains. If you have the chance and fancy some liquid refreshment take a trip to the Roadhouse in Lisdoonvarna, they do there own beer, Burren Red, it's magic stuff!!

Agree with tang1 as well 10 to 15 minutes slower depending on conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Burkie_Fi

I did the Half last year as part of a one half a month personal challenge I was doing. I'm pleased I did it but it was very challenging for me, a relatively new runner. It starts off climbing and keeps going up for about 7k. The off road but was slippy as it was quite misty on the day. I knew I wasn't going to get a PB and added 12 mins on to my usual time so I enjoyed the view around the 17/18k mark and took a few pics. I did feel like a badass after it though because I really wasn't expecting to literally run across the Burren!

Oh and side note for the grandparents there isn't a huge amount on the streets of Ballyvaughan to see/do. The beach and the pub are about it.
    Enjoy it though, it's the best challenge once it's done 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Hi all, would this be too tough for a first time Marathoner ? I have the miles under the belt and a little hill running( I can do more in the next 5 weeks)
    Time isnt a concern, just finishing !
    Thanks

rodge68 wrote: »
    Hi all, would this be too tough for a first time Marathoner ? I have the miles under the belt and a little hill running( I can do more in the next 5 weeks)
    Time isnt a concern, just finishing !
    Thanks

It's more mountainous than hilly, some decent climbing involved. I certainly wouldn't advise as doing it as a first marathon but I don't know your level of fitness so you could well be able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

tang1 wrote: »
    It's more mountainous than hilly, some decent climbing involved. I certainly wouldn't advise as doing it as a first marathon but I don't know your level of fitness so you could well be able for it.

Thanks Tang1, Not sure how to gauge my fitness but I can run 20 miles but slow enough..
    Might do some hill work over the next week and see then before signing up....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pete_mcs

Will be doing the full marathon.First in ten years. Been throwing in a few trail runs. Am wishing for a calm day dry, would say the weather will have a huge affect on this run!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Just signed up for the half, did it two years ago was actually my very first race so looking forward to see how I'll get on two years down the line with a lot more miles into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I've signed up for the full. No notice, very little preparation. What could possibly go wrong?

Doing it as a training session for the Western Way 50 miler in July. Hope to meet a few Boardsies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

snailsong wrote: »
    I've signed up for the full. No notice, very little preparation. What could possibly go wrong?

Doing it as a training session for the Western Way 50 miler in July. Hope to meet a few Boardsies there.

Me too, me too :) Just signed up, we're going to mountain bike the course backwards before running it forwards.

I know the peeps in the club that's organising it and they've said that it's great fun with lots of food and water on the course.

Seem to have got myself a bit of an injury since a 10km race last week. Took a week off except for parkrun, which was never going to be missed, but touch and go for if I'll be able to run as hard as I'd like to at the weekend and may need to take it easy. :(

Neady83 wrote: »
    Me too, me too :) Just signed up, we're going to mountain the bike the course backwards before running it forwards.

I know the peeps in the club that's organising it and they've said that it's great fun with lots of food and water on the course.

Are you doing Western Way too?

I've also heard good reports about this event. Looking forward to meeting you.

Seem to have got myself a bit of an injury since a 10km race last week. Took a week off except for parkrun, which was never going to be missed, but touch and go for if I'll be able to run as hard as I'd like to at the weekend and may need to take it easy. :(

Won't be going hard myself, either. I'll keep an eye out for you. Mind that injury.

I'll be going easy too so you'll have plenty of company. Looking at the results from last year, there's many people walking it so it will be a mixed field. At least it's not all on road, it might give some relief to the injury.
    snailsong wrote: »
    Are you doing Western Way too?

I've also heard good reports about this event. Looking forward to meeting you.

Ditto, I haven't registered for the Western Way yet but I'm pretty sure that I'll do it, taking it easy. I'm trying to convince one of my friends who's doing the Burren on Sat to do it with me.

We'll have to figure out a way or recognising each other. If you see a girl with plaits in her hair on a mountain bike, that's me :)

Neady83 wrote: »

We'll have to figure out a way or recognising each other. If you see a girl with plaits in her hair on a mountain bike, that's me :)

I can picture the scene....

Girl passes on bike...middle aged man shouts after her, "Are you needy?"....cops are called...

Second thoughts I'll send you a pm with a detailed description :-).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

Last time I took part was 2012, scorching weather that day and was nursing a slight hangover after sampling all the pubs Ballyvaughan has to offer!!!

looking forward to this on Saturday, wont be in the same condition this year!!!

For some reason my email isn't connecting whilst roaming, although boards is for some reason. I did see an "urgent" email come through but can't see anything of the email itself. Did it say anything important that I need to know about?

For some reason my email isn't connecting whilst roaming, although boards is for some reason. I did see an "urgent" email come through but can't see anything of the email itself. Did it say anything important that I need to know about?

Nothing too important. This is the gist of it.

We would appreciate if you could check your registration details.. If you would like to change Distance please inform us of the distance change

Thanks for that.

Hoping to hit Bally V late this evening if my ancient camper can make the journey, by no means certain :).

For anyone looking out for me I'm tallish, grey haired and devilishly handsome :D.
    Don't know what I'll be wearing but I have rather bright green Solomon speedcross shoes. Please say hello.
    P.

Dunno what I'll be wearing but I'll give you a Hi if I see you, I'll be the person at the carpark when the race is over having the wife pouring a 5 litre bottle of water over me as a shower, for anyone doing the full if you hear what sounds like a woman's high pitched scream, fear not its just me :)

Just down to in Ballyvaughan now picking up my number. #584 for the half. Ominous looking dark clouds hanging about but nice looking evening.
    Hopefully it'll stay dry over night and morning.

Phew that was a lot tougher than I remember. Came in at 1:47 for the half, happy out with that considering the course. Coming down off the mountain was the hardest, lethal in places but what an enjoyable run, parked up at fanore beach now having a bite to eat, watching the marathon runners pass me by, well done to everyone who finished the race was a toughie.

That was warm today....1:46 few mins faster than 4 years ago! Love the course but tough as he'll in the legs. Downhill section at the end was torture on the knees.
    Well done to the organisers.

• Advertisement

Finally cracked 4 Hours for the full. 3:58:49. Its a great race lovely day plenty of aid stations and twix, mars, crunchies, apples and oranges. Oh yes water in bottles and cups. You could not ask for more.

Advertisement