Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Burren Marathon Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Phew that was a lot tougher than I remember. Came in at 1:47 for the half, happy out with that considering the course. Coming down off the mountain was the hardest, lethal in places but what an enjoyable run, parked up at fanore beach now having a bite to eat, watching the marathon runners pass me by, well done to everyone who finished the race was a toughie.

Nice one kookiebrew especially with the heat and the course, well done. The views were spectacular weren't they?

You might have seen me pass by at Fanore beach, yellow Achill top on, long plaits, was in too much of a hoop to enjoy the views of the beach at that point :)
    jfk247 wrote: »
    That was warm today....1:46 few mins faster than 4 years ago! Love the course but tough as he'll in the legs. Downhill section at the end was torture on the knees.
    Well done to the organisers.

Well done jfk, I couldn't believe how well organised it all was, they're a super walking club to pull it off.
    ger664 wrote: »
    Finally cracked 4 Hours for the full. 3:58:49. Its a great race lovely day plenty of aid stations and twix, mars, crunchies, apples and oranges. Oh yes water in bottles and cups. You could not ask for more.

You cracked 4 hours on that course? Really good going, plenty to shave off that PB in a road marathon?

I was switching between mars and twix at each stop :) No shortage of anything at any stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Neady83 wrote: »
    You cracked 4 hours on that course? Really good going, plenty to shave off that PB in a road marathon?

I was switching between mars and twix at each stop :) No shortage of anything at any stop.

It was a course PB and a training run for 50K in Portumna. Still happy with it as my two previous runs where 4:01 & 4:00:xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Really enjoyed this event today. The scenery was truly spectacular. I'd love to come back and see it with a bit less suffering involved.:)

Neady83, it was lovely to meet you, likewise robinph.
    Good to put faces to the names.
    Kookiebrew, we'll done.on your time, maybe meet you again.

Ger664, congrats on the time, I must have seen you on the course. I was running with my friend, a woman of similar age. We were aiming for Sub 4. Stopped to walk at most drink stations and let a few past us then caught up again. We finished in 3:55/3:56, I went on and stretched my legs in the last mile. Which one were you, we were probably talking.

I thought the organisation and atmosphere were first class. Well done all at the Ballyvaughan Fanore Walking Club. We'll be back.

Had BMOH Blue singlet on you probably passed me around mile 3 I think I caught up with you just before the second climb. After that I didn't get going until blasting home in the last road section.

Had BMOH Blue singlet on you probably passed me around mile 3 I think I caught up with you just before the second climb. After that I didn't get going until blasting home in the last road section.

I think I spotted you alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Very impressed with the event. Well organised and marshalled, but in a very minimalist way. Those walkers know how to signpost a route, but without leaving loads of bits of red and white tape across the countryside. Very happy with today's run as well seeing as I've done no running for the last two weeks effectively, the legs were complaining a bit, but don't seem to have caused my shin pain to return.

Great to see a couple of you before the start. Had to make a quick get away afterwards to get to a couple of children's birthday parties so missed out on my free soup. :)

On the final run into Ballyvaughan whilst I was passing the 10km walkers, who all looked to be having a great day out as well, I was serenaded by a few guys on motorbikes for half a mile. They rode alongside and were singing Born To Run at me. Was very funny and unexpected at mile 12 of a mountain half marathon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pete_mcs

That was a fantastic event. Ran the marathon. Really challenging course, especially the downhill between fanore and Ballyvaughan. Finished just over the 4 hour mark which I was delighted with. The volunteers at the water stations were superb. Will be back next year with a little more course knowledge to crack the 4 mile marker.

Seen ger664 well ahead of me coming down the hill into Fanore, and snailsong I was just behind you and your running partner until the last trail section then you left me in your dust. Was she 2 or 3rd woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

robinph wrote: »
    Very impressed with the event. Well organised and marshalled, but in a very minimalist way. Those walkers know how to signpost a route, but without leaving loads of bits of red and white tape across the countryside. Very happy with today's run as well seeing as I've done no running for the last two weeks effectively, the legs were complaining a bit, but don't seem to have caused my shin pain to return.

Great to see a couple of you before the start. Had to make a quick get away afterwards to get to a couple of children's birthday parties so missed out on my free soup. :)

On the final run into Ballyvaughan whilst I was passing the 10km walkers, who all looked to be having a great day out as well, I was serenaded by a few guys on motorbikes for half a mile. They rode alongside and were singing Born To Run at me. Was very funny and unexpected at mile 12 of a mountain half marathon. :D

Did I spot you running a 10k as well today?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

El Caballo wrote: »
    Did I spot you running a 10k as well today?

Yep, seemed like a good idea at the time. Legs really didn't like the inclines on the relatively flat Adare 10km after the hills of the Burren. Legs are now properly knackered though like after a tough full distance and I can't get down stairs forwards.

• Advertisement

pete_mcs wrote: »
    Seen ger664 well ahead of me coming down the hill into Fanore, and snailsong I was just behind you and your running partner until the last trail section then you left me in your dust. Was she 2 or 3rd woman?

Third woman. The second passed us at the start of the last off road section. We were browsing in the "sweet shop" or feed station. She looked very strong and less than half our age. Met her later, well done her. First woman was quite a bit ahead apparently. I think Neady83 from here was close behind us in fourth.

snailsong wrote: »
    Third woman. The second passed us at the start of the last off road section. We were browsing in the "sweet shop" or feed station. She looked very strong and less than half our age. Met her later, well done her. First woman was quite a bit ahead apparently. I think Neady83 from here was close behind us in fourth.

Yeah, she passed me going down the hill into fanore. I ran with the 4th placed woman until we got back onto the tarmac, she pulled away at the last water station. Tried to catch her but got cramps in my left calf so eased back.

I was well back in 8th position :) I finished in 4:37. Crikey, well done everyone here, ye did phenomenally well on that course and in that heat. Snailsong, it was lovely to meet you, well done on a great time, I'm in awe.

I'm fueling on mars & twix for my next long run, they were the business. Those guys certainly know how to put on a race, I'll definitely be back.

I was well back in 8th position :) I finished in 4:37. Crikey, well done everyone here, ye did phenomenally well on that course and in that heat. Snailsong, it was lovely to meet you, well done on a great time, I'm in awe.

I'm fueling on mars & twix for my next long run, they were the business. Those guys certainly know how to put on a race, I'll definitely be back.

Sorry, my mistake. Same first name. Well done in any case, good going after mountain biking it first!

Loved the aid stations. Ditching gels in favour of peanut kit kats for my next marathon. I think it's the first race where I managed to put on weight.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

robinph wrote: »
    Yep, seemed like a good idea at the time. Legs really didn't like the inclines on the relatively flat Adare 10km after the hills of the Burren. Legs are now properly knackered though like after a tough full distance and I can't get down stairs forwards.

Haha know the feeling did a six mile recovery run yesterday evening to stretch out the legs, felt stiffer than after the marathon four weeks ago, not too bad this morning though. Got a handy 7miler to do shortly but not lookin forward to intervals tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

. I was running with my friend, a woman of similar age. We were aiming for Sub 4. Stopped to walk at most drink stations and let a few past us then caught up again. We finished in 3:55/3:56, I went on and stretched my legs in the last mile. Which one were you, we were probably talking.

@snailsong I am writing to thank you. You passed me about 8-10km from the finish. I was seriously struggling after over cooking it in the first half and was hanging on to a less than average pace for dear life.

I said something like "good running, keep it up" as you passed. I had headphones on so didn't really hear your reply but I heard "4 hours" in there somewhere. I had written off a sub 4 hour finish at Fanore beach but spurred on by your encouragement (?) I tore after you an your partner like a rabbid dog, an outsider looking on probably noticed a very very slight increase in pace but to me I was sprinting.

I managed to catch your partner at about 1km from finish and crossed the line in 3:55.

You mightn't have been replying to me at all but either way it helped, so thank you.

Phil

philroche wrote: »
    @snailsong I am writing to thank you. You passed me about 8-10km from the finish. I was seriously struggling after over cooking it in the first half and was hanging on to a less than average pace for dear life.

I said something like "good running, keep it up" as you passed. I had headphones on so didn't really hear your reply but I heard "4 hours" in there somewhere. I had written off a sub 4 hour finish at Fanore beach but spurred on by your encouragement (?) I tore after you an your partner like a rabbid dog, an outsider looking on probably noticed a very very slight increase in pace but to me I was sprinting.

I managed to catch your partner at about 1km from finish and crossed the line in 3:55.

You mightn't have been replying to me at all but either way it helped, so thank you.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. Well done on toughing it out. I probably said something to the effect of 'hang in there, we're well inside 4 hours'. I hate to pass someone at the tough end of a race without saying some small word of encouragement. Hard to know what to say though, when someone passes me and says ' you're doing great' when clearly I'm not I have mixed feelings.:)

Great event though, wasn't it? Was I talking to you at the finish?

BTW, it was Betty's idea that I should push on at the last mile and let her suffer in silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

@snailsong It was indeed a great event and one I will definitely be doing again. The feed stations were the best I've ever come across.

We didn't speak at the finish, I was in too much of an emotion and adrenaline depleted mess on the ground to speak to anyone.

philroche wrote: »

Phil

I read this earlier and thought how nice it was, of both of you, and how a few words at the right time can do so much for a person. A bit like passing someone in the street and smiling at them - you never know the effect you might have on someone. Well done on sub 4, bloody hell, yer all hard core.
    Thanks, Phil. Well done on toughing it out. I probably said something to the effect of 'hang in there, we're well inside 4 hours'. I hate to pass someone at the tough end of a race without saying some small word of encouragement. Hard to know what to say though, when someone passes me and says ' you're doing great' when clearly I'm not I have mixed feelings.:)

I wondered about this. I passed about 15 people who were walking in the last 7 or 8 miles. I wondered coming up to them if I should say something but I kept quiet because I was thinking to myself that I might be walking in 200meters and I'd look like a right ejit (because I felt how they looked).

I wondered if they thought I was a stuck up so and so for not saying something to them.

So what is everyone else doing for their next challenge? I am thinking maybe about the Longford Marathon, but I don't think it could be as good as the Burren!

• Advertisement

So what is everyone else doing for their next challenge? I am thinking maybe about the Longford Marathon, but I don't think it could be as good as the Burren!

The Western way 50 mile http://www.rawultra.com/#!western-way-50-mile/qswmn :) Go on, you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Athenry half, gonna attempt my first sub 90

50K in Portumna praying that the gods shine on me and I get under 4 Hours

50K in Portumna praying that the gods shine on me and I get under 4 Hours

The Western Way 50 miler here too. I kinda have to as it finishes where I live.
    A bit scared by it, it's twice as long as Clare Burren and 4 times as much climbing. Tall order for my second trail race. I'll be happy just to finish. Nice route and there's something special about a point to point, esp when you're heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

A bit scared by it, it's twice as long as Clare Burren and 4 times as much climbing. Tall order for my second trail race. I'll be happy just to finish. Nice route and there's something special about a point to point, esp when you're heading home.

Ha, did you recruit Neady or is she just nuts like you :D:D

Will be no bother to ye, tiss all in the head :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Ha, did you recruit Neady or is she just nuts like you :D:D

Will be no bother to ye, tiss all in the head :D:D

She had already recruited herself!
    You're the only one I tried to recruit, are ya on?

And did you race in Athenry this evening? How'd it go?

Be no bother to you, the Burren didn't knock a start out of you and the Western Way is even more spectacular, especially if the weather is good and we get to head up over the Turks on the first section.

Awh Westport, I love it there. A mecca of things to do, lucky you.

I managed to recruit someone to do it with me, there ain't no way I'd do 50 miles on my own, I'd go stir crazy. We're going to take it handy, looking at 12+ hours.

Martyboy, can we tempt you into a fun day of running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Don't think I'd be able for it from where I'm at now :)
    Ya, new route in Athenry this evening, lovely course, 19:22 so happy enough with that :)
    Be no bother to you, the Burren didn't knock a start out of you and the Western Way is even more spectacular, especially if the weather is good and we get to head up over the Turks on the first section.

Awh Westport, I love it there. A mecca of things to do, lucky you.

I managed to recruit someone to do it with me, there ain't no way I'd do 50 miles on my own, I'd go stir crazy. We're going to take it handy, looking at 12+ hours.

A mecca of things to do
    The only thing I ever did in Westport in the past, involved copious amounts of alcohol :pac:

Fun???? Do you think that say 8 hours into it that I'd be calling it fun :pac:

Well done, Marty. That a pb? You'll have a good shake at sub 19 this summer.

Needy, I had 10 to 12 in mind but might end up with ye for some of it. 50 miles by yourself is a bit much. And Marty isn't biting.:D

• Advertisement

The Western way 50 mile http://www.rawultra.com/#!western-way-50-mile/qswmn :) Go on, you know you want to.

I ran 18 mile of the western way while training for the burren. Life a few miles away. It's tough! Doubt I can run 50!

Advertisement