Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megane 2012 oil

• 31-03-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi is there much differance between c3 and c4 oil would it cause damage to my engine if I put c4 in when it may have previously had c3 in it and visa versa thanks. I just wondered as when I put my car reg into mr auto web site it offers meboth for my model.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

vince wrote: »
    Hi is there much differance between c3 and c4 oil would it cause damage to my engine if I put c4 in when it may have previously had c3 in it and visa versa thanks. I just wondered as when I put my car reg into mr auto web site it offers meboth for my model.

Check the manual, I think it should be RN 0720.

All ACEA Cx oils are designed to be compatible with DPF fitted diesels, with minor differences - like low SAPS, different viscosity and long-life requirements. As far as a fast Google can show, C4 is like C3 but with low SAPS contents.

Get an oil with manufacturers approval, ACEA and SAE specs are more generic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

RN 0720 5w30. Get it direct from renault. 40 euro all in for 5 litres. The RN 0710 5w40 would be better if you don't have a dpf but I think after 2010 or so they all have one.
    The 5w30 is c4 and the 5w40 is c3 afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

If it's a 1.5dci then it will be euro 5 (euro 5 came out in early 2011) and have a dpf so you have to use RN0720 spec 5w30. As said probably as handy to get it in a dealer the only two brands I know of that make RN0720 oil are Fuchs or elf so don't bother looking at Castrol or Mobil as they don't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

CIP4 wrote: »
    If it's a 1.5dci then it will be euro 5 (euro 5 came out in early 2011) and have a dpf so you have to use RN0720 spec 5w30. As said probably as handy to get it in a dealer the only two brands I know of that make RN0720 oil are Fuchs or elf so don't bother looking at Castrol or Mobil as they don't make it.

Eurol also make it, no need to go to the dealer

• Advertisement
Advertisement