Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Work in New Zealand?

• 31-03-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey guys, Just wondering on the availability of farm work in New Zealand? Thinking of going on a working holiday visa in the next month or two and I come from a family farm so working on a farm would be ideal for me! Im just inquiring as to the availability of work, is there alot of positions? and would farmers be reluctant to hire somebody on a working holiday visa for a 6-9 month period? What is the best area of New Zealand for farm work, ie Bay of Plenty or the large Canterbury area of South Island?
    I understand that alot of farm work is Dairy based and while i come from a beef farm,( formally of sheep also) a neighbour has a dairy farm so I could always head over to his place to gather some experience for a few days!

I think that New Zealand would be a unique place to visit for a year, plenty of adventure and Maori culture also, i would play a bit of rugby as well but i am apprehensive that work could be difficult to find, I wouldn't have a trade and my degree(Law Degree) wouldn't be of much use out in New Zealand?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Have zero experience in the area myself, but Google tells me there is more beef farmed on the North Island apparently: http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/beef-farming/page-1 so there must be opportunities around for temporary workers, Irish farmers are well respected down here too and generally are known for working hard.

Also have you heard of WOOFING? Great way to travel the country and get your food and accommodation covered. If you're good at your work it might turn into paid work.

http://www.wwoof.co.nz/

If you like rugby and farming you'll get on very well down here!

Be aware obviously we're coming into Winter here soon....Doesn't really freeze or snow in the North Island but i'm sure it would affect the work you'd be likely to be doing.

One other tip is to find and join the "Irish people living in New Zealand" Facebook group, might get a few contacts on there of Irish lads working on farms here that could hook you up.

Advertisement