Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Later 84X services midweek.

• 31-03-2016 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

It's very frustrating that the last 84X service from the city is at 6.30pm.

I know that certain local councillors were meant to be raising this as an issue.

Surely a couple of later services at 7.30pm and 8.30pm are more than feasible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It would be great if they could just end the absolute farce of the 84 going to Blackrock and extend it back to town again. It's really annoying (not to mention stressful) late at night when you find yourself on a slow 145, hoping to somehow get to Bray before the last 84 departs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I posted feedback to Dublin Bus echoing both our sentiments. May as well piss into the wind

ballyargus wrote: »
    I posted feedback to Dublin Bus echoing both our sentiments. May as well piss into the wind

This (word-for-word) is likely to be their response:

"Dublin Bus always welcomes feedback from the public and we have logged this suggestion in our Customer Comment Database which is reviewed on a regular basis. Where the suggestions are in line with our strategy and where resources are available, we seek to implement ideas we consider appropriate."

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

thanks for raising - this is the story of my life. i work shifts so some days finish at 6pm (which is fine for the last 84X) but some days i finish at 7 which means a dart at half 7 and hanging around for the 184 or a 25 minute walk home. the 145 / 184 combo is a complete disaster because the 145 is totally unpredictable in its journey time (can be 40 mins, can be an hour and a half). and trying to combine the dart and 184 is equally difficult as theyre not synched to meet up with other in greystones (why not is beyond me).

it would be incredible even if they put 2 or 3 more on at say 7 and half 7, even 8. im going to submit the same feedback on their website - i guess the more people who mention it...etc etc....

"Dear Mr Lindsay,

I refer to your email regarding the route 84x.

Every reasonable endeavour is made by Dublin Bus to ensure the operation of its buses according to schedule. I have informed the Depot Manager of your email and he will review the possibility of adding more buses in the coming weeks.

On behalf of Dublin Bus thank you for bringing this matter to our attention."

That's what I got back. Gone on their ever growing list of "Not to do".

• Advertisement

I've just submitted a suggestion form there too, I shall expect the same response verbatim!!! :(

eleMental wrote: »
    the 145 / 184 combo is a complete disaster because the 145 is totally unpredictable in its journey time (can be 40 mins, can be an hour and a half).

The worst part is when you think you're actually going to be on time for the 84/184, but then the 145 ruins everything by stopping on Castle Street to change drivers.
    ballyargus wrote:
    "Dear Mr Lindsay,

I refer to your email regarding the route 84x.

Every reasonable endeavour is made by Dublin Bus to ensure the operation of its buses according to schedule. I have informed the Depot Manager of your email and he will review the possibility of adding more buses in the coming weeks.

On behalf of Dublin Bus thank you for bringing this matter to our attention."

That's what I got back. Gone on their ever growing list of "Not to do"

Glad to see they've changed their standard response anyway. It's really stupid that they have an 84x running from town to Newcastle at 12pm every day, practically empty, but can't find the resources to add extra capacity at a time when people would actually use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

They seem to work on the assumption that everyone finishes at 5/5.30 and the odd person at 6ish.
    If only!

They also badly need extra buses at rush hour. The 84X is full by leeson street and mostly with people who get off by Leopardstown.
    Recently on a Facebook group for Greystones this was brought up and the response was huge.

This seems to affect a LOT of people and it has been suggested to put together a template email including everything that we ALL send.

Then they might listen!!

MIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

I agree that an 84X leaving the city centre later than 6.30 pm would be great, and that there should be greater use of 'minimum fares' to keep Donnybrook / UCD / Stillorgan / Foxrock / Cabinteely / Loughlinstown commuters off the 84X so that it has space to take commuters who need to get to Greytones and further afield. Those who are commuting to locations closer to the city can use many other services. Perhaps the bus should not stop (at bus stops) between UCD and Loughlinstown.

Shared template letters are never taken seriously by public bodies or state sponsored companies like Dublin Bus - it's too easy for someone to just copy and paste the text into a mail memo and hit "Send", and for keyboard warriors to lend support to causes they don't actually support.

Individually drafted letters demonstrate that the author felt strongly enough about the topic to spend time drafting a letter, and that the author might lobby their local politicians (who should all be falling over themselves to help because of the likelihood of another election) looking for their support on the topic.

Another weakness in this case is that the number of people arriving in Greystones after the last 84X is demonstrably low - look at numbers on the DART and the 84 / 184 bus routes arriving in Greystones after 7.00 pm - the headcount simply isn't there, and that fact will always trump the wishes of a small number (including me) who'd like to see an 84X leave the city centre after 6:30 pm, unless all who agree demonstrate that we are many by writing to Dublin Bus and contacting politicians seeking their support. Politicians decide how much money Dublin Bus gets in State funding, and if politicians believe that many of their electorate want something reasonable, they'll ensure that it happens.

As a compromise between template letters and individually drafted letters, maybe CaoimheSquuee might suggest a number of issues to be addressed by those who want to pursue the issues - I'd start with the following
    (1) higher minimum fares on X routes
    (2) 84X not stopping between UCD and Loughlinstown Hospital
    (3) making 84 / 184 buses wait for passengers (some of whom pay real money!) at Greystones DART station whenever a train has just arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

burnaby wrote: »
    (3) making 84 / 184 buses wait for passengers (some of whom pay real money!) at Greystones DART station whenever a train has just arrived

It's inexplicable that they don't do this already (and never have) - it's potential extra revenue! Even if it's not timetabled to meet the trains, the bus should never pull off while there are people still coming out of the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

Am on an 84X as I type this - the 5:30 departure from city centre.
    Driver allowed one person to board in Donnybrook, and (correctly) told several others that the bus was full.
    Bus passed five people on pavement at UCD
    Bus then stopped at Stillorgan to let several passengers alight. Same at White's Cross and Foxrock Church. These passengers could have waited for a 46a, and might have done so if Dublin Bus would only implement minimum fares on X routes.

What a pity the Greystones, Kilcoole, Newcastle commuters can't retaliate by filling up the 46a buses occasionally!!

What a pity Dublin Bus never listens to any suggestions unless the suggestions are aligned with their own strategy.

What a pity common sense is so uncommon in Dublin Bus

. These passengers could have waited for a 46a, and might have done so if Dublin Bus would only implement minimum fares on X routes.

There are minimum fares on X routes already, but many commuters have monthly or annual tickets.

Am on an 84X as I type this - the 5:30 departure from city centre.
    Driver allowed one person to board in Donnybrook, and (correctly) told several others that the bus was full.
    Bus passed five people on pavement at UCD
    Bus then stopped at Stillorgan to let several passengers alight. Same at White's Cross and Foxrock Church. These passengers could have waited for a 46a, and might have done so if Dublin Bus would only implement minimum fares on X routes.

What a pity the Greystones, Kilcoole, Newcastle commuters can't retaliate by filling up the 46a buses occasionally!!

What a pity Dublin Bus never listens to any suggestions unless the suggestions are aligned with their own strategy.

What a pity common sense is so uncommon in Dublin Bus

Everyday this happens. :(

Simon Harris has a survey on his website looking for feedback on issues that constituents would like addressed. Theres the option at the bottom to fill in any other feedback. Perhaps if enough people raise the challenges with getting home in the evenings after the last 84X if they live beyond Greystones it might have some benefit.

http://www.simonharris.ie/#!latest-news/czm7

I know he has more important issues to address but looking through his recent posts, its something thats already on his radar, so the more pressure the better..

http://www.simonharris.ie/#!Dublin-Bus-to-consider-Kilcooles-increased-customer-demand-–-Harris/c1ck3/57069a120cf27cb8ad1c61f0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Poochie05

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's inexplicable that they don't do this already (and never have) - it's potential extra revenue! Even if it's not timetabled to meet the trains, the bus should never pull off while there are people still coming out of the station.

Before the Dart came to Greystones, without fail you would be standing at the door to get off the last Dart in to Bray station and see the last 184 pull out as if to prove a point.

When it was brought up with Dublin Bus, the answer was the 184 wasn't a feeder service! Meant you had to get the second last Dart to make sure you got the last bus and then you had to do battle for a place on the bus with people just heading up to the top of Bray

BOOOM! We have an increased service. It seems that a bit of complaining has worked. Let's see what the expanded service looks like

Simon Harris has welcomed plans to add additional 84X services in October

brilliant news! the 84X is getting busier and busier each week both going into and out of town (i know theres a reduced summer service but its definately still getting busier). great to hear that our feedback was listened to. say what you like, but sometimes simon harris really does come good for his constinuency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Good news definitely.

But really, how dysfunctional is that. The Minister of Health has to spend his time getting an increased bus service to a growing town in the Dublin region.

I am holding my breath till they announce what the increased service is.

Andrew Doyle has been great too. He recently sent me this which was a reply to some queries I forwarded on. Needless to say they were all completely ignored and diverted with other information! Dublin Bus are ACE at that.

Dear Deputy Doyle,

I would like to thank you for your email dated 27 July 2016 on behalf of your constituent regarding Route 84x

Dublin Bus currently operate seven morning departures on Route 84x from Newcastle/Sea Road Kilcoole during peak hours.

We also introduced an extra morning departure during the college term on Route 84x from Southern Cross to the City at 07.15hrs. This service was introduced to ease demand from Loughlinstown Hospital during peak hours.

Regarding the evening peak service, Dublin Bus introduced a further two departures in the evening peak during the College term on Route 84x; 17.00hrs from Donnybrook Church and 18.10hrs from the City Centre. These extra services during winter peak hours eased loading issues and meet customer demand at Donnybrook and UCD. We also introduced extra departures on the Route 145 from UCD outbound to alleviate pressure on Route 84x. Furthermore, Dublin Bus in conjunction with the NTA propose to introduce a further morning and evening peak departures to improve the service even further during college term. The timetable for these extra departures will be advertised on our website over the coming weeks.

I will keep your office informed of any further changes in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not much

An extra 6.50am from Kilcoole and an extra 5pm from Dublin

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Timetable-Changes-on-Routes-25d-and-84x/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Not exactly what we were hoping for. In fact, it's pretty much the same as before the summertime. When college finished they removed one of the evening services.

yep I agree. service is the exact same and much much busier particularly in the mornings - half the morning services are UCD students, there seem to be lots more than in previous years. The opening of Temple Carraig has also greatly increased passenger numbers. what I wouldn't give for a 7:30 and 8:30pm service!!

eleMental wrote: »
    yep I agree. service is the exact same and much much busier particularly in the mornings - half the morning services are UCD students, there seem to be lots more than in previous years. The opening of Temple Carraig has also greatly increased passenger numbers. what I wouldn't give for a 7:30 and 8:30pm service!!

TCG students presumably all get off in Blacklion - is the bus ever full before this point? The reason they're getting the 84X is because the 184 and 84 are either too early or too late for their 08.10 starting time, it's actually the more expensive option.

I live in Blacklion. The X is pretty full by the time I get on in the mornings.

The 84x that goes by Blacklion Manor at 7.30 can be almost full by the Southern Cross Road.

This is even more of a disappointment than I could even imagined! Guess I still won't be able to get the 84x home then!

ah okay that makes sense. I didn't realise they start so early and the new opening of the school would explain the increase in those students. overall though even excluding TC the numbers are still up. the drivers are now usually either refusing additional passengers or only allowing 1 or 2 more after loughlinstown. when the 84x at 07:10 or 07:20 got to charlesland it used to have maybe 5 or 6 people upstairs, now there's typically 15-20. it's the same on the 18:10 and 18:30 services in the evenings - there's a huge increase in the numbers of passengers many of whom are going to greystones. there's definately a case / need for an increased service overall as more people move out to new developments in wicklow. there's been inspectors taking numbers at many of the bus stops in the mornings in recent weeks so hopefully this will add strength to the case for a better service.

the Dart is getting busier as well, it's standing room only from Greystones on the 0800 (which is the busiest service on the Irish Rail network), though a lot of passengers are schoolkids only going as far as Killiney and Dalkey.

Advertisement