Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Paving Project

Options
  • 31-03-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi All, looking for some tips on a new paving project planning to get done. Have an old patio (See pics) looking to extent this right across the full length of garden and down to gate at side of house. It's not a huge area, have yet to measure but it's your typical 3 bed semi garden. Also want to put in a fence and gate where grass meets patio do i can lock dog out of patio if we're having dinner outside or if guests are over that are uncomfortable around dogs. Does this seem like a decent idea? Would brick paving look decent?
    all opinion welcome :-)

back 3.jpg

back2.jpg

back1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

anyone any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I can't see why this wouldn't work.

It might look a bit industrial, unless you plant some shrubs or climbers to soften the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

ah yeah i'll have a few pots, planters around. The fence i'm thinking would be more like a timber railing you see on a decking. Would i be as well off keep the slabs that are there already and try to get more. I like the style of the dfferent sized slabs being used. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy juts needs tidying.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Bricks would look good alright, but take longer to lay and will probably require a bit more preparation/maintenance to stop weeds & grass growing up through the gaps between them. After the paving (of whichever sort) is laid, it's a good idea to dry-mix some sand and cement, sweep it into those gaps and once there's none left on the surface use a mist spray or similar to soak it without washing it away. The mortar will set, effectively giving you a solid surface and making it more difficult for windblown seeds etc to get into those gaps and take root. Did this on one patio I laid, wish I'd done it on the other one in time!

Advertisement