Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting options for privacy

Options
  • 31-03-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all we are getting a patio in our garden this week it is going the far right corner and extending to the middle of the garden. We were going to plant a raised bed on it but our builder has said it will be a disaster when it rains and soil will go over the patio and ruin it. I would really like to gain some privacy but it seems planting on the patio is out now. Would anyone have any ideas please? I know we can attach wall trellis but would we have to grow stuff out of pots and how would it look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

tink2 wrote: »
    Hi all we are getting a patio in our garden this week it is going the far right corner and extending to the middle of the garden. We were going to plant a raised bed on it but our builder has said it will be a disaster when it rains and soil will go over the patio and ruin it. I would really like to gain some privacy but it seems planting on the patio is out now. Would anyone have any ideas please? I know we can attach wall trellis but would we have to grow stuff out of pots and how would it look?
    Try Google Images for ideas of what you do/don't like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

it will be a disaster and the soil will overflow and ruin your patio...lol and you believed him? how about leaving the top level of the soil two inchs below the top of the raised bed???? go ahead with your raised bed. did he also tell you the earths flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It may be that the builder is concerned about is if he builds the patio and then builds a raised bed structure (ie. on top of it), it would need drainage holes leading to some soil etc leaking onto the patio.

If the raised bed is to one side then just put drainage holes to the outside, and dont put the patio beneath it

If the raised be is in the middle somewhere then just dont put the patio beneath it either allowing natural drainage.

You could just leave out the raised bed and leave about 3 foot between patio and property boundry and plant for privacy.

its a bit difficult to advise unless we get some photos, (just include the garden up to some of the fencing for privacy on here). and an idea of the directions you want privacy from.

You can use things like trellis to grow/train plants upwards on anywhere on the patio or beside it, large decorative pots with trees, bamboo in an ordinary bed, lots of things you can do, nothing is out really, and the limit is your imagination (and ours :D ) and just have a plan before the patio is built.

ps I had a 40 foot by 16 foot garden in London and managed to get privacy through a number of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

it will be a disaster and the soil will overflow and ruin your patio...lol and you believed him? how about leaving the top level of the soil two inchs below the top of the raised bed???? go ahead with your raised bed. did he also tell you the earths flat?

I assumed they were talking about having a raised bed built on the patio with no bottom on it at all and only the sides closed in? Not sure now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

tink2 wrote: »

That is absolute nonsense. It is straightforward thing to do. Actually incorporating a raised planting bed into a patio area not only offers enhanced design opportunities to include planting (screening and/or ornamental), create a sense of privacy 'enclosed space' but also valuable informal seating. One would need to ensure that the height of RB is adequate for planting/seating ie 50cm high and not too narrow (minimum 50cm) and for reasonably comfortable seating RB wall cappings approx. 30cm wide. If you need more info, let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It would be normal practice/more prudent to first build the raised bed and then build the patio around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you space to plant semi mature evergreens, I bought some 30yr old evergreen oaks last year and they've really started to fill out, I got some cheaper maples and evergreen birch as well but once everything leaves during the summer I should have good privacy on the back of house and patio area.

Bamboo is something you could consider but I heard it can start sprouting up everywhere and do damage to other plants and trees not sure how true that is, willow is the same I think but both grow quickly and give coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kilsaran have savage display gardens and ideas. Bamboo kept in big pots is grand, cherry laurel is a good evergreen hedge that can be neatly trimmed, grows quick and high

http://www.kilsaran.ie/home/our-display-gardens/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

water trays under pots ensure plants in pots always have water available.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Thanks so much for all your replies some really good ideas that I will look into! Took a pic of the garden today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

My daughter has a patio that is surrounded by a few matching pots with bamboo plants. They give great privacy but don't even think of putting bamboos into the ground - they're a nightmare. Bamboos don't need any care - hers didn't get any and they are thriving! You could have other plants/shrubs/flowers in containers inside the bamboos for ornamental purposes as the bamboos on their own would be a bit plain.

Advertisement