Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 910 v 920

Options
  • 31-03-2016 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of people have traded up from perfectly good 910's to the new 920 recently. Just wondering if people have found the higher cost unit to be worth it? I have all the functionality that I need on the 910 but like some of the "nice to have" features on the 920 such as wifi upload and live tracking for peace of mind. Any other features that make it worth the additional cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

EC1000 wrote: »
    I see a lot of people have traded up from perfectly good 910's to the new 920 recently. Just wondering if people have found the higher cost unit to be worth it? I have all the functionality that I need on the 910 but like some of the "nice to have" features on the 920 such as wifi upload and live tracking for peace of mind. Any other features that make it worth the additional cash?

Swimming is worlds improved.
    Range for PM usage.
    Pairing
    Battery life
    Works as a normal watch

No brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What about if you add the fenix3 to the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I was thinking about this too but elected to stick with 910xt since the improvements didn't really give me excuse to spend that amount on it, although if my 910xt broke I would by 920xt...

@tunney: battery life seems fantastic, but "Works as a normal watch" - depending on how you look at it. I wouldn't wear none of those two as my day-to-day watch, but on the other hand I know a guy who wears 910xt as his regular watch and don't see why would 920xt be so much better (maybe a bit ligher?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    I know a guy who wears 910xt as his regular watch and don't see why would 920xt be so much better (maybe a bit ligher?)

I vaguely remember only getting about 12 hours of use from trying to have the 910xt as a normal watch (and the added hassle of manually turning off GPS etc) . I can get up to a week of use with the 920, or 3 - 4 days depending on how I use it for training between charges.

920xt beats 910xt hands down in everything, wouldn't think twice about going back and upgrading again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ground contact time is a nice feature of 920 .

pro of 910 is price
    and that the 920 is such a bad cheap looking colour sceem and looks so cheap plasticy

I would keep my 910 for a few month more until the price of 920 will drop. but its fair to say apart from design the 920 was a nice step up
    in user friendlyness apart from the ground contact time there is nothing i would be interested ( and i wish my casio had ground contact time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'd kinda wait or save for fenix 3 hr over getting a 920xt in those choices.
    910xt is great for training, but that's all.
    Often results in me forgetting it for swimming as it was left near laptop for ant uploads etc.

920xt I wouldn't wear everyday but Fenix 3 I would.

I hate hr straps so am intrigued by the new hr model now that it's out.

Glad I didn't stump up for 920 or fenix 3 now as a result.

In saying all above, 910xt is a bargain now and will do all your training.
    Main con is not an everyday watch and bloody Garmin ant uploads which are fine when working but a few times a year a pain.

Fenix 3 HR is the best out there imo at the moment and next on my list.
    Have a 910xt and broken button, but still working so haven't punted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Just to give another more expensive option :)

520+620. Bigger screen on the bike. Lighter and smaller watch for run/everyday use. And Wi-Fi/Bluetooth uploads from both.

And use the f-ing pool clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

@fazz don't you lose some of the run features of the fenix 3 and 920xt with their heart rate straps if you go to the optical heart rate. Seems to be no ground contact time and a few other run specific features that come from the newer heart rate straps themselves so aren't available on the Fenix3 Hr, might only be a small thing but worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »

520+620. Bigger screen on the bike. Lighter and smaller watch for run/everyday use. And Wi-Fi/Bluetooth uploads from both.

Careful now, that's twice in a week you've agreed with Sutton :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

look at you and your fancy pool with the clock

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    @fazz don't you lose some of the run features of the fenix 3 and 920xt with their heart rate straps if you go to the optical heart rate. Seems to be no ground contact time and a few other run specific features that come from the newer heart rate straps themselves so aren't available on the Fenix3 Hr, might only be a small thing but worth considering.

Yep, without the HRM strap you lose:

- stride length, ground contact time, vertical ratio
    - swimming hr

But when are you realistically going to use anything other than cadence regarding dynamics which.
    It still has the cadence, VO2 max metrics etc.

Small as you mention but can be added if you add the strap for another 50 bucks for the odd workout if those dynamics wanted.

What's your Training Stress Score from a swim workout? ;):confused::pac:
    Are you targetting a CTL for your ironman based on known likely outcomes for that CTL/Fitness? - e.g Kona Q = 130-140+ etc.

What was the cause of that tiredness/injury/illness last week? Is your TSB at record lows or just sleep/diet related?

All too much data in some respects and not a total advocate but I do think it's useful and helps with training/goals/etc.

Granted a swim workout can be estimated if wanting the tss, and most swim coaches will tell you to stop looking at that watch or I'll bin it! :D:pac::pac:
    I'm prob around 80-90% data gathered from training.
    Some workouts just off feel or watch forgotten etc. And no issue work is work don't need a watch nor pool clock for that.

Granted on the 2 choices though. I'm still on ant or cable uploads for both 500 and 910xt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

They have still not mastered swim TSS though have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fazz wrote: »
    What's your Training Stress Score from a swim workout? ;):confused::pac:
    Dont know, dont care
    Are you targetting a CTL for your ironman based on known likely outcomes for that CTL/Fitness? - e.g Kona Q = 130-140+ etc.

CTL? Is this used in conjunction with ALT and DEL??

What was the cause of that tiredness/injury/illness last week? Is your TSB at record lows or just sleep/diet related?

Illness last week caused by 24hr stomach bug the child picked up in creche, he passed on to M the following day and I got a couple of days later. This week is due to lack of sleep as hes waking for 1-1.5hrs at around 3am every second night with his teeth. None of which fancy data will do anything to help with.
    All too much data in some respects and not a total advocate but I do think it's useful and helps with training/goals/etc.

Granted a swim workout can be estimated if wanting the tss, and most swim coaches will tell you to stop looking at that watch or I'll bin it! :D:pac::pac:
    I'm prob around 80-90% data gathered from training.
    Some workouts just off feel or watch forgotten etc. And no issue work is work don't need a watch nor pool clock for that.

Granted on the 2 choices though. I'm still on ant or cable uploads for both 500 and 910xt.

K.I.S.S.

They have still not mastered swim TSS though have they?

Seems fine for me as long as you have your correct CSS pace in settings on TP etc.
    Tallies relatively similar to RPE of other workouts for similar time/duration etc.

Either way, better than the nil otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Seems fine for me as long as you have your correct CSS pace in settings on TP etc.
    Tallies relatively similar to RPE of other workouts for similar time/duration etc.

Either way, better than the nil otherwise.

When did they add the swim in? I only spotted it under settings and have now adjusted it based on threshold pace.
    Up to now i was estimating TSS based on 1tss for every minute.

When did they add the swim in? I only spotted it under settings and have now adjusted it based on threshold pace.
    Up to now i was estimating TSS based on 1tss for every minute.

Ages ago. Like over a year or two.

Close enough depending on effort.
    Easy swims about that. Medium/hard closer to 1.5tss per min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

On 'can't be used as a normal watch' on the 910xt

Am I the only one who leaves it on pool swim mode (automatically turning GPS off) and just changes one of the screens to Time?

Not that I ever wear it as a watch, only when I've forgotten my in public, grown up watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. Sold my 910 last week and took delivery of my 920 today. Rubber arm...

Advertisement