Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 New Delly

by the way, has anybody noticed the Pinata donkey that has been on the desk in the communal office for the last few episodes? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

New Delly wrote: »
    by the way, has anybody noticed the Pinata donkey that has been on the desk in the communal office for the last few episodes? WTF?

I spotted that too, I reckoned it was something Hayley bought for one of the big events her company is organising :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ah here! Isn't he the irritating character from the McDonalds of the Future and Lyons Tea ads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

washiskin wrote: »
    Ah here! Isn't he the irritating character from the McDonalds of the Future and Lyons Tea ads?

Not only that, but as posh as they come. Pretty much confirming my long held belief that most actors in Ireland who play big roles come from wealthy stock, what a depressing fact. Even the ones you think look as salt of the earth as they come end up with a posh South Dub accent that you need subtitles for :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Not only that, but as posh as they come. Pretty much confirming my long held belief that most actors in Ireland who play big roles come from wealthy stock, what a depressing fact. Even the ones you think look as salt of the earth as they come end up with a posh South Dub accent that you need subtitles for :rolleyes:

actors aren't just plucked from the street in quotas from different areas!! (even FC actors) There are auditions and those auditions are attended by those who have stage/acting experience and, due to economic reasons, the vast majority of these would be from a more affluent background.
    Just because you come from a specific area doesnt mean you aren't/are salt of the earth!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

washiskin wrote: »

Yeah and I thought Siobhan killed him?

actors aren't just plucked from the street in quotas from different areas!! (even FC actors) There are auditions and those auditions are attended by those who have stage/acting experience and, due to economic reasons, the vast majority of these would be from a more affluent background.
    Just because you come from a specific area doesnt mean you aren't/are salt of the earth!!

Well that's what I find sad. I have lots of mates who are very talented actors but just couldn't afford to wait the usual few years it takes to get your foot on the ladder before you hit your big break and make some decent money. And lots of these people have had to do 2 jobs to pay to go through drama school (fees of which are way too expensive). Essentially they are priced out of the market whilst Justin and Crystal in D4 can skate through drama school and auditions because Mammy and Daddy open their wallet and pay for everything.

Look at most Irish dramas like Love Hate Red Rock Haughey etc etc, a huge number of the cast got the job on foot of their previopus work and come from very wealthy backgrounds and are essentially sorted as usually theatre offers come their way after a tv show and you get a situation where the same 20 people star in every Irish tv show and movie! (think Nidge from Love Hate, Colm Meaney, Liam Cunningham the entire Gleeson family etc), meanwhile you have perfectly capable actors in the queue but they get overlooked. This was certainly an eye-opener for me as I would never have thought a small country like Ireland could have such an enormous number of actors with wealthy parents but apparently I was wrong!

Majority of actors are from middle class and working class families. Think you are being extremely over the top here.
    Go through the FC cast, and tell me where all these "D4" heads, as you call them are! Of course established actors will get the roles but you have just name Liam Cunningham who was from the inner city, Colm Meaney is far from from a wealthy background, neither was Brendan Glesson . Ditto Saoirse Ronan, Liam Neeson, Aidan Gillen, Cillian Murphy came from a middle class background in Cork.

You don't get your job from where you come from but like ALL professions, having financial backing helps. It doesnt make you a better actor though. There are lots of ways to get into acting now, Leaving Cert entry courses etc. I think you are being over exaggerated by say6ing that the industry is dominated by those who come from wealthy backgrounds.

Majority of actors are from middle class and working class families. Think you are being extremely over the top here.
    Go through the FC cast, and tell me where all these "D4" heads, as you call them are! Of course established actors will get the roles but you have just name Liam Cunningham who was from the inner city, Colm Meaney is far from from a wealthy background, neither was Brendan Glesson . Ditto Saoirse Ronan, Liam Neeson, Aidan Gillen, Cillian Murphy came from a middle class background in Cork.

You don't get your job from where you come from but like ALL professions, having financial backing helps. It doesnt make you a better actor though. There are lots of ways to get into acting now, Leaving Cert entry courses etc. I think you are being over exaggerated by say6ing that the industry is dominated by those who come from wealthy backgrounds.

I don't think I am. The problem stems from the huge fees these drama schools and colleges charge. Yes I know that having extra money is a plus in any career, the higher your qualification then the more employable you are. As for FC, Renee, Carol, Jo, Heather, Christy and Niamh come from privileged backgrounds, have you ever heard Carol interviewed in real life? Her posh voice would floor you! That's all in FC that I know of but its not exactly known for quality acting so I wouldn't put it into the same category as, say, Love Hate. Which DOES have an imbalance of posh versus working class.

I'm not saying that being poor or wealthy makes you a good or bad actor (there are of course good and bad actors from all walks of life) but take an honest look back over the Irish dramas over the past 2 decades (I'm thinking Bachelors Walk, Pure Mule, Love Hate, Glenroe, Red Rock). Can you seriously say that there isn't at least a preference for middle and upper class actors and that working class actors are in the minority? There was a time when I thought Colin Farrell came from a working class area but one interview later and I was completely cured of that thought! If we were dealing with a higher population than Ireland then yes, I couldn't back up my facts but the facts are there for all to see when it comes to actors and actresses in Ireland.

I'd swipe right for Jane..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

What is Wayne like, fool of a man.
    Jane on Internet dating I'd say she's a shoe in so with lovehate McDonald's add man.

The Ram Junior already into his technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,615 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, Emmet back stalking the Carrigstown women!

I'm more of a dogs man..... your in the right place so

Emmet, Dean, Mongo, Mumbles etc....... all essentially the same character.

Ah , Wes Richardson, must of been his singing Joe fell for

Emmet moving onto deano now

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Charleygal

I'd love to give Dermot a good hard slap. For God's sake, it's not Deirdre's fault that Jo has found another fella!

Orla new job as a manager means a change of clothes - she pulls off "prostitute" perfectly!

Ellie's comeback to Renee about her cooking was priceless!

• Advertisement

what actually happened that episode!! Weve known for months the way this Jo plot was going to see itself out, I couldnt care less about Emmet sniffing around every woman like a dog in heat, nor of Mongos dodgy dealings.
    IFTA Ellie shouted a few times, Jane swanned around in either negligee or that childs barmaid tshirt she wears, Thats literally all that happened??
    Or did I miss something! Its like one of those dreams that seem so vivid yet when you awake all you have is tiny tiny details which evaporate after a few minutes!

oh, I forgot about Orla and Wayne. But what actually was happening there anyway?

Orla got a second job as a prostitute, Jane completely changed her personality from Thursday to now, seducing any man who came within ten feet, Ellie threw a tantrum, Emmet sniffs around Hayley and Dermot did his best Heres Jonny Jack Nicholson expression at the end - "She WILL come back Arghhh!"
    That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

That Jane one would get up on a hairy hand.

We might see some more Love/Hate characters come into it. Maybe Fran will come into the station for a game of pool.

So Jo just forgetting Zoey?

That Jane one would get up on a hairy hand.

We might see some more Love/Hate characters come into it. Maybe Fran will come into the station for a game of pool.

What's the chances that Nidge books a nite in the Dolphin Pod?

And, I see love hate's Pauly is as wooden and unconvincing in FC as he was in love hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ellie needs a short, sharp shock

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

So Jo just forgetting Zoey?

Whatever her feelings are about Dermot, I really find it hard to believe that Jo could be so heartless towards Zoe. :(

youwould wrote: »
    Whatever her feelings are about Dermot, I really find it hard to believe that Jo could be so heartless towards Zoe. :(

^^^^^^^^^

youwould wrote: »

Its up there with the Zak leaving Lisa plot at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

And......they're all back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement