Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

The lighting in Spar is always blinding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Hilarious, why would someone from Ringsend need to be shown around Carrigstown which is where Rialto-ish? Also how is there no Dubs fans in Carrigstown? ðŸðŸ‘•

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

That Jane one would get up on a hairy hand.

We might see some more Love/Hate characters come into it. Maybe Fran will come into the station for a game of pool.

Probably still carrying his own cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

so who is actually on their three month saabatical at the moment? Not many. Closest I can think of are Robbie, Caddle, Stripey, Gripey, Leo, Doug, Ray? Maybe the producers are reading this and starting to address the ridiculous houidi like character disappearance cast management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ellie's a little biatch, and I only ever see people from Fair city wearing chockers, they're hideous.

• Advertisement

WTF was that in the station, emmett trying to sell the bottle of drink to Dean, acting as if he was selling drugs, Fair city is hilarious....

Cormdogg wrote: »
    The lighting in Spar is always blinding

A lot of shops are like that, very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

That dermot lad would bore you to tears. Good grief I can't bear him lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I can see Jane jumping on Wayne and blackmailing the ass off him before the month is over.

That dermot lad would bore you to tears. Good grief I can't bear him lately.

hes hilarious lately! Hes on the verge of a breakdown just skuttling around like Mr Potato Head in a suit under his hitler trench coat carried by his tiny legs looking anxious and getting bullish with anyone who even says hi to him!

:D:D

44673684-a-cartoon-detective-man-looking-angry.jpg?ver=6

FairWed1320133122339705.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hilarious, why would someone from Ringsend need to be shown around Carrigstown which is where Rialto-ish? Also how is there no Dubs fans in Carrigstown? ðŸðŸ‘•

It's basically Phibsboro or that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Also how is there no Dubs fans in Carrigstown? ðŸðŸ‘•

Seems ridiculous doesn't it? Especially on Sundays when the GAA is on! My guess is that RTE would be seen as endorsing the Dubs? Although I'm sure The Ram has worn a Kilkenny jersey a couple of times. (boo KK :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Ok so Deirdre is staying at the Ballintine...which was never mentioned when she lived there. She races off to tell Dermot about Jo but doesn't ring just appears in The Pig. They obviously have each other's numbers as he calls as she is in the lift going down in her coat...but it will take her half an hour to get there...how?

[Mod snip]

Why hasn't Aunt Kitty been cast yet! She would be a great addition to the cast, she must have sooooooooo many stories to tell and would give The Ram some contacts. Also Zak, seriously they are bringing in another stereotypical thirty year old guy now in the same cut as Dean/Mongo/Mumbles/Emmet. Surely the most obvious thing to do is cast someone as Tommys son. At least he would have a reason to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's basically Phibsboro or that area.

They've even had the No.9 bus come through in an episode or two.

youwould wrote: »
    Seems ridiculous doesn't it? Especially on Sundays when the GAA is on! My guess is that RTE would be seen as endorsing the Dubs? Although I'm sure The Ram has worn a Kilkenny jersey a couple of times. (boo KK :p)

It's filmed weeks in advance so some fixtures wouldn't be even set yet for the days a particular episode airs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Why hasn't Aunt Kitty been cast yet! She would be a great addition to the cast, she must have sooooooooo many stories to tell and would give The Ram some contacts. Also Zak, seriously they are bringing in another stereotypical thirty year old guy now in the same cut as Dean/Mongo/Mumbles/Emmet. Surely the most obvious thing to do is cast someone as Tommys son. At least he would have a reason to be there.

[Mod snip] - use report button please

Isn't Zak only Rachel's age though? If Zak's character is brought back I hope they use a different actor, maybe even one that sounds like he's been to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Did nobody spot the conversation between Renee and Dermot (in Spar, for a change...)?? When Dermot asks where's Bob and Renee says he's away, Dermot's reply was 'Ah it's hard on your own..' suggesting that Renee and Bob are Ellies parents, and that Renee is now parenting alone...!!!!!

Seriously, what was the point in that conversation at all:confused:

Dermot’s reactions to Deirdre’s appearance last night was strange. For the past few weeks, he’s been trying to get hold of Jo but she either doesn’t answer or hangs up after a minute or so. Ben has told him she won’t bring him home and Dermot has been left in the dark as to what is going on at all over there and it’s been stressing him out.

Then Deirdre shows up and naturally, his first reaction is “is Ben ok?”. Once it’s established he is, there’s nothing. Just a passing condolence to Deirdre on the death of her aunt. She suggests meeting up at the house as she has some other news to discuss.

Next scene, when you’d think Dermot will be asking Deirdre just what the hell is going on over in America with Jo and what’s all this with Ben saying she won’t bring him on, instead he’s just doing the dishes talking about Ben’s test results being all good.

When Deirdre informs him that Jo has met someone else, he goes mad accusing her of lying and trying to break up his family. I know you could say he’s in denial as to what he’s just heard and doesn’t want to believe it, but he even seems surprised at the relevation as if the thought of her meeting someone else hasn’t even entered his head. Yet for the last week or two, when he’s even admitted that he thinks there’s someone else, he’s been having a go at Tommy, kicking over his plants and accusing him of murdering Judy and burying her body in the allotment etc became he’s a reminder of her infidelity.

And what’s the craic with Jo anyway? Deirdre said it’s being going on for months. Well she only went over there a few months ago. The last we saw her, she was so worked up about Ben’s illness that surely the last thing on her mind was getting it on with a doctor and moving in with him days after landing in America? And we’re meant to believe that she’s just forgotten about Zoe?

Whatever reasons the writers had of getting rid of the character who played Jo, there’s no excuse for a storyline with hardly that much thought going into it to explain her exit. Just kill her off in a car crash or something. Or add a little spice by having her murdered by an American serial killer or a Columbine type mass shooting spree for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

monkey9 wrote: »
    Dermot’s reactions to Deirdre’s appearance last night was strange. For the past few weeks, he’s been trying to get hold of Jo but she either doesn’t answer or hangs up after a minute or so. Ben has told him she won’t bring him home and Dermot has been left in the dark as to what is going on at all over there and it’s been stressing him out.

Then Deirdre shows up and naturally, his first reaction is “is Ben ok?”. Once it’s established he is, there’s nothing. Just a passing condolence to Deirdre on the death of her aunt. She suggests meeting up at the house as she has some other news to discuss.

Next scene, when you’d think Dermot will be asking Deirdre just what the hell is going on over in America with Jo and what’s all this with Ben saying she won’t bring him on, instead he’s just doing the dishes talking about Ben’s test results being all good.

When Deirdre informs him that Jo has met someone else, he goes mad accusing her of lying and trying to break up his family. I know you could say he’s in denial as to what he’s just heard and doesn’t want to believe it, but he even seems surprised at the relevation as if the thought of her meeting someone else hasn’t even entered his head. Yet for the last week or two, when he’s even admitted that he thinks there’s someone else, he’s been having a go at Tommy, kicking over his plants and accusing him of murdering Judy and burying her body in the allotment etc became he’s a reminder of her infidelity.

And what’s the craic with Jo anyway? Deirdre said it’s being going on for months. Well she only went over there a few months ago. The last we saw her, she was so worked up about Ben’s illness that surely the last thing on her mind was getting it on with a doctor and moving in with him days after landing in America? And we’re meant to believe that she’s just forgotten about Zoe?

Whatever reasons the writers had of getting rid of the character who played Jo, there’s no excuse for a storyline with hardly that much thought going into it to explain her exit. Just kill her off in a car crash or something. Or add a little spice by having her murdered by an American serial killer or a Columbine type mass shooting spree for the craic.

Even if Jo had started a new relationship, there's no way she wouldn't tell Dermot this, probably face to face and I don't think she would abandon Zoe like this. She's quite a moral person and has integrity. This seems to be more about the FC writers demonising her character for reasons unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even if Jo had started a new relationship, there's no way she wouldn't tell Dermot this, probably face to face and I don't think she would abandon Zoe like this. She's quite a moral person and has integrity. This seems to be more about the FC writers demonising her character for reasons unknown.

If anything this senseless, unresearched mess of a 'storyline' just confirms the actress that played Jos grievances with RTE were well founded. Facepalm fair city writers!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Zoe's reaction to any setback is always the same. "" It's my fault, isn't it?"

This time Dermot should answer," Yes, yes, Zoey, it is your fault. If you weren't such a miserable young wan, Jo would still be here, trying to control my life, interfering in my business , having rows with the neighbour's, comparing my sexual abilities with Tommy's, and speaking in that God- awful, put-on accent of hers.
    So yes, Zoe. It is all your fault.
    And I'm very proud of you! "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm baffled by the fact that Deirdre wasn't staying in The Pod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

If anything this senseless, unresearched mess of a 'storyline' just confirms the actress that played Jos grievances with RTE were well founded. Facepalm fair city writers!

Fair City has over the last while been plagued by pointless and/or incomplete storylines. This latest Jo storyline is uninventive and all too convenient. What is currently lacking is a compelling storyline like the Ballintine/Flynn one or the Heather one.

Pointless storylines have included the 1916 play that was suddenly dropped (and we never got to see!) and this Condors basketball team which tends to get revived every few months or so. The whole Doug/Ama/Emmett thing was pointless and Doug and Ama will continue to go around in circles when they return. This Pete v Tommy/Damien thing has been going on and going nowhere much too

I think that there should be a concentration on a couple of good storylines at a given time and this filler inner stuff should be dropped. The only point of that play seemed to be to give Charlie, Cass and Bela screentime. The only point of those Condors scenes was to do the same for Dan, Robbie, Carol, Sally and Dean. The other storylines like Pete v Tommy/Damien or Ama and Doug could have potential if taken to another level.

But Jo having (yet another) affair offscreen is lame. Affairs have been done to death on soaps at this stage and surely I would have thought there would be some interesting way to write Jo out. But apparently not. The concept of Jo having an affair is not typical of her character makeup. The original Jo of the early 2000s was a much different person. Now, she is turned into another Carol or Orla type!

Am I the only one who thought the Heather story was almost as awful as the rest?? Great concept, terribly executed. It dragged on for a couple of months and then just climaxed with this bizarre Lucy like ending. I'm glad they are at least addressing the reprecussions of it as I was sure that Heather would just disappear into oblivion although they really could do with some more scenes with Heather in the hospital. No doubt when she is released she will be perfect again.

Heres a post I wrote in the midst of the story to outline my irritation as to how they were making a hash of what could have been a great plot. Im surprised it gets so many plaudits on here. As I said Great concept, acting from Heather and Ellie AT TIMES was above par but nonetheless still a typical FC plot development.

It was also so plot driven and not character driven in the sense that it altered certain personalities just to feed the storyline.

oh, god sorry but they have made a balls of the story. I'd love to be able to see it through your eyes though ��

To back this up...heres why it has been terribly written.

They have brought Heather back into the show for this plot and completely changed her personality just to suit the plot

Noone has noticed this complete change of personality except here on this thread

they have repeated umpteen scenes and dialogue just so as to prolong the story. The main case in point is about 10 episodes in a row with this chain of events

at the start of the next episode shane and Ama will bump into Heather in Spar/Hungry Pig etc; Shane will tell Heather it's over between them, by the ad break she will have him up for Ellis daily appointment to the McCoys living room, just before the break Heather will have told ellie to f off somewhere leaving her in a compromising position with street doctors mouth wide open. After the break Shane will have wriggled himself free and told her unconvincingly that it's over and Heather ever present jokers grin will have saliva dribbling down it.; later on Shane and Ama will walk into McCoys and Shane will be shocked to see Heather is behind the counter (yes even though she is the only one behind it for months despite having a daughter on deaths door) , at the counter Shane will try order something and pretend to be oblivious to heaters drooling and sinister and downright ugly flirting. BY END OF EPISODE HEATHER WILL BE EATING STREET DOCTORS EYES AGAIN.

Then there is the fact that a busy GP has visited Heathers living room five minutes walk, if even, from his surgery twenty odd times in the last few weeks everytime Ellie has even the slightest pain in her chest.

He doesnt even contemplate doing any tests after all these complaints, merely repeating the same line.... "complications from the appendicitis". This he diagnoses and attempts to cure by touching her forehead

They have gradually turned Shane into a submissive warbling love struck idiot that is unable to figure out how batty this lunatic is despite it being more obvious than Bellas limp.

there are so many more examples of why this potentially very intriguing plot has just joined the echelon of predictably has joined a long line of badly managed storylines.

As i said beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Am I the only one who thought the Heather story was almost as awful as the rest?? Great concept, terribly executed. It dragged on for a couple of months and then just climaxed with this bizarre Lucy like ending. I'm glad they are at least addressing the reprecussions of it as I was sure that Heather would just disappear into oblivion although they really could do with some more scenes with Heather in the hospital. No doubt when she is released she will be perfect again.

Heres a post I wrote in the midst of the story to outline my irritation as to how they were making a hash of what could have been a great plot. Im surprised it gets so many plaudits on here. As I said Great concept, acting from Heather and Ellie AT TIMES was above par but nonetheless still a typical FC plot development.

It was also so plot driven and not character driven in the sense that it altered certain personalities just to feed the storyline.

oh, god sorry but they have made a balls of the story. I'd love to be able to see it through your eyes though ��

To back this up...heres why it has been terribly written.

They have brought Heather back into the show for this plot and completely changed her personality just to suit the plot

Noone has noticed this complete change of personality except here on this thread

they have repeated umpteen scenes and dialogue just so as to prolong the story. The main case in point is about 10 episodes in a row with this chain of events

at the start of the next episode shane and Ama will bump into Heather in Spar/Hungry Pig etc; Shane will tell Heather it's over between them, by the ad break she will have him up for Ellis daily appointment to the McCoys living room, just before the break Heather will have told ellie to f off somewhere leaving her in a compromising position with street doctors mouth wide open. After the break Shane will have wriggled himself free and told her unconvincingly that it's over and Heather ever present jokers grin will have saliva dribbling down it.; later on Shane and Ama will walk into McCoys and Shane will be shocked to see Heather is behind the counter (yes even though she is the only one behind it for months despite having a daughter on deaths door) , at the counter Shane will try order something and pretend to be oblivious to heaters drooling and sinister and downright ugly flirting. BY END OF EPISODE HEATHER WILL BE EATING STREET DOCTORS EYES AGAIN.

Then there is the fact that a busy GP has visited Heathers living room five minutes walk, if even, from his surgery twenty odd times in the last few weeks everytime Ellie has even the slightest pain in her chest.

He doesnt even contemplate doing any tests after all these complaints, merely repeating the same line.... "complications from the appendicitis". This he diagnoses and attempts to cure by touching her forehead

They have gradually turned Shane into a submissive warbling love struck idiot that is unable to figure out how batty this lunatic is despite it being more obvious than Bellas limp.

there are so many more examples of why this potentially very intriguing plot has just joined the echelon of predictably has joined a long line of badly managed storylines.

As i said beauty is in the eyes of the beholder though!!

Totally agree - can't understand the retro admiration for that plot. It went on and on for months, poorly written, poorly acted and then in classic FC form just disappeared with a host of loose ends left unaddressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Strazdas wrote: »

True: anyone who remembers the early Jo would know she would not act like this. It seems that the writers want to turn her and all women of that age in it into a Carol or Orla type. The problem with soaps in general is that they are on all the time and writers get lazy. So they go back and revive some affair storyline already done with other characters.

Fair City at its best is worthwhile viewing though. Storylines involving gangland and other criminal figures like Billy Meehan, Paddy Bishop, Thomas Flynn, and Sylvester Garrigan were always worth watching. Similarly, the self sacrifice of Luke Dillon, the murderous thugs Marty Halpin and Bill Taylor and the racist killing of the Nigerian businessman were all among the better storylines of the soap. The seemingly reformed thug who eventually shows his true colours has been reinvented successfully several times as Meehan, Halpin, Taylor and Bishop have shown. Perhaps Heather could become a female version of these in the future?

What exactly was that sh1t emmet was drinking anyway??? He pored it into a glass half full of water like diluted orange but when offering it to Guiness Head he made him drink it straight out of the bottle??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ah lads I cant understand how you didn't find the whole Heather story fantastic. Yes I agree it was at times contrived the way characters meet in Spar every day or Ellie getting an appointment in 5 seconds flat but the actors were extremely good and that's what gripped me. Lets face it, 90% of actors in FC are awful and some are clearly cruising for a paycheque between plays, driving taxis etc.
    But.....every now and then you get the right mix of actors and compelling script and it just works. Now they need to give the Heather story a proper ending or climax if they have any respect for the fans.

• Advertisement

Ah lads I cant understand how you didn't find the whole Heather story fantastic. Yes I agree it was at times contrived the way characters meet in Spar every day or Ellie getting an appointment in 5 seconds flat but the actors were extremely good and that's what gripped me. Lets face it, 90% of actors in FC are awful and some are clearly cruising for a paycheque between plays, driving taxis etc.
    But.....every now and then you get the right mix of actors and compelling script and it just works. Now they need to give the Heather story a proper ending or climax if they have any respect for the fans.

Well I gave a healthy and fair justification above as to why I didn't find it good!! The acting wasn't exactly brilliant either, Heathers crazy smile and flirting was cartoonish at times and Shane was just dry and merely a plot device. Ellie was portrayed well but given she was repeating the same scenes over and over again, it would be harder for her NOT to perfect it! Ama's and Farrah were portrayed well buy once more same scenes over and over again.

If they had spread the story out a bit it would have developed better, but they once again used their infamous 3 month start to finish, intensIve plot management. And when the characters are repeating the same actions over and over again every day for these 2/3 months it becomes awful to watch!

That's fair city's main problem, block storytelling. It's used for every plot now, irrespective of the story involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement