Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Ah lads I cant understand how you didn't find the whole Heather story fantastic. Yes I agree it was at times contrived the way characters meet in Spar every day or Ellie getting an appointment in 5 seconds flat but the actors were extremely good and that's what gripped me. Lets face it, 90% of actors in FC are awful and some are clearly cruising for a paycheque between plays, driving taxis etc.
    But.....every now and then you get the right mix of actors and compelling script and it just works. Now they need to give the Heather story a proper ending or climax if they have any respect for the fans.

I think that the Heather storyline was very well done and it shows us what can be done when the effort is made. I enjoyed the Flynn/Cathal/Ballintine story too.

It is hard to know with the ability of some of the actors in Fair City as many of them are not given anything worthwhile. You could have Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Mel Gibson, Tom Hardy, Yul Brynner and Orson Welles on hand and you still could not make that Condors storyline exciting.

I find the problem is there are actors on the show contracted to be there but nothing is written for them. Orla, Leo, Bela, Dan, Robbie, Carol, Charlie, Dean and Dolores are some obvious current examples. Even Paul to an extent is not doing much these days. This is why we get silly filler inner storylines like the Condors and the 1916 play.

We should see more of the Bishops. The actors who play Decco, Charlotte, and Zumo are all very good imo and excel when they have the right material. Many characters that were good left too soon. Lucy is a perfect example. She gave Wayne, Pete and Dolores a proper story as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

@ BuilderPlumber, I agree that even with the cream of the crop acting in FC, they couldn't make poitin in a shed or a flirty PR woman in any way interesting so the script writers have a lot to ask for and yes, its hard to lay down quality storylines for a fixed number of weeks which ties in with the contracts of the characters, that's something that should be revised in FC, and on that point there really should be a massive cull on the soap to keep it fresh. Is there really a need for Orla, Delores, Paul and Niamh, Charlie, Dermot and Carol? They have been stinking up the screens for years now.
    When the Dillons came to FC it was a breath of fresh air and Tommy admitting the affair to Judith was one of the best series of episodes of FC, proving that, again, when the crucial mix of writing and acting bolts together, the results are fantastic, but sadly such moments are few and far between. I don't understand why certain posters here continue to watch it if they knock it so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I got the impression the drink was an energy drink, and he was pouring it into vodka?
    Another pointless story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fittle wrote: »
    I got the impression the drink was an energy drink, and he was pouring it into vodka?
    Another pointless story!

I'm not sure : didn't Dean say something about smuggling alcohol into the pub? I've no idea what it was supposed to be though, looked like red lemonade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

. I don't understand why certain posters here continue to watch it if they knock it so much!

Its the thread, my friend, the thread!

• Advertisement

Its the thread, my friend, the thread!

I wasn't referring to you specifically The Talking Bread, there seems to be a lot of posters here who love knocking it as if they are forced to watch it. Whereas I'm frank about my reasons: I'm waiting to see if Heather will cap her storyline and if some hilariously bad acting happens as I'm waiting, then more the bonus! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What exactly was that sh1t emmet was drinking anyway??? He pored it into a glass half full of water like diluted orange but when offering it to Guiness Head he made him drink it straight out of the bottle??

I thought he was adding it to vodka, I think it might be a sports drink.

I wasn't referring to you specifically The Talking Bread, there seems to be a lot of posters here who love knocking it as if they are forced to watch it. Whereas I'm frank about my reasons: I'm waiting to see if Heather will cap her storyline and if some hilariously bad acting happens as I'm waiting, then more the bonus! ;)

Ah, I know, Im embarrased tbh how much pleasure I get from watching FC just to knock it!! I just keep telling myself Storylines are gone after three months the thread is here forever!!

Re The Heather storyline, do you bnot think Ive given justifiable reasoning though as to why many thought it wasnt as good as some on here have said it was ? I genuinely am taken aback how some have reacted to it! Like I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder but Id like to hear a bit of reasoning as to why someone like you thought it was brilliant! I kind of fear I missed something!

(PS, this is just a friendly debate just in case you are misreading the tone of my message! Just interested in your thoughts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,615 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Heather's ridiculous over acting ruined that story. I just couldn't take her seriously. It was cringe! Similar to how Orla destroyed us all with her acting during Junior Gate!

@ BuilderPlumber, I agree that even with the cream of the crop acting in FC, they couldn't make poitin in a shed or a flirty PR woman in any way interesting so the script writers have a lot to ask for and yes, its hard to lay down quality storylines for a fixed number of weeks which ties in with the contracts of the characters, that's something that should be revised in FC, and on that point there really should be a massive cull on the soap to keep it fresh. Is there really a need for Orla, Delores, Paul and Niamh, Charlie, Dermot and Carol? They have been stinking up the screens for years now.
    When the Dillons came to FC it was a breath of fresh air and Tommy admitting the affair to Judith was one of the best series of episodes of FC, proving that, again, when the crucial mix of writing and acting bolts together, the results are fantastic, but sadly such moments are few and far between. I don't understand why certain posters here continue to watch it if they knock it so much!

I think that a lot of the characters you mention above have not added much to the series in recent years. Orla for instance IIRC was introduced as a minor character and potential love interest for Jimmy Doyle. She was a cocaine snorting, partying type who worked in PR (Hayley is basically a tamer version of this old version of Orla). Later on they made her Niamh's cousin and then she was the love interest of a series of characters from Keith to Tommy to Wayne. But did she contribute anything herself? This minor character now has become one of the top 6 characters in it but I cannot remember her being involved in any interesting storyline at all.

Dermot does not seem to serve any purpose much either. It could be argued his character has not done anything either since the days he was in politics. Carol used to be involved in great stories up until a few years ago but she is turned into just another version of Orla.

Another thing I often notice is that one character exists and a similar one then comes in to replace them basically doing the same thing. Some of the better characters exited it quickly enough. Characters like Emmett, Michael, the new image Oisin and Hayley are all just variations on older characters we have already had. I take it a new doctor has to come too and will see him or her soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,802 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If anybody is trying to avoid spoiler avoid looking at the RTE Guide or TV Now covers. Sort of a predictable storyline a few months ago that they've decided to do now!

Ah, I know, Im embarrased tbh how much pleasure I get from watching FC just to knock it!! I just keep telling myself Storylines are gone after three months the thread is here forever!!

Re The Heather storyline, do you bnot think Ive given justifiable reasoning though as to why many thought it wasnt as good as some on here have said it was ? I genuinely am taken aback how some have reacted to it! Like I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder but Id like to hear a bit of reasoning as to why someone like you thought it was brilliant! I kind of fear I missed something!

(PS, this is just a friendly debate just in case you are misreading the tone of my message! Just interested in your thoughts)

No problem, I will tell you where I am coming from with my views on the Heather story and how it ties into my viewing of FC:

In the past 10 years, I have 90% of the time switched off when the FC opening credits came up. I was sick for a few weeks back when Barry killed that Sarah girl and what started with me just tolerating the story quickly became me wanting to know what happened because to me, in a show full of very weak acting and ridiculous storylines, this was a jewel. I was gripped right up until the end but very shortly after it ended I gave up because I just couldn't tolerate the usual nonsense, not knowing if or when a decent storyline may return.
    That was it until I was told a new family arrived, I gave them a chance but with them needing a while to bed in, I tuned out until people were talking about a developing affair with Jo so I tuned in and I did find Tommy and Jo and Judith (less so the bratty kids) interesting and they are decent actors and they made the best of the script given to them so I tuned in......through it all. I'm ashamed to admit I called off a social occasion because I wanted to see the ep where Tommy admitted the affair and it was fantastic, devastating stuff that split the family apart for weeks afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just a watcher of tv soaps! I have watched and loved Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, 24, Criminal Minds etc etc and all manner of films and documentaries so I know good acting and I know bad acting/scripts.
    There were 1 or 2 other stories I tuned in for but the common denominator for me was when the story was dropped/ended, I was gone, I couldn't take the crap stories if there wasn't something worth hanging around for.
    Cue Heather- I literally happened to be channel hopping and I happened across her doping her little girl and the way she was doing it suggested it was on purpose so I was like "Hmmm....whats this about then" and that led to her flirting with Shane and the whole affair and poisoning (you have to admit that's a bit OUT THERE for FC) and I was hooked, largely because Una Kavanagh, Ellie, Bob and Renee are PROPER actors with vast experience so if anyone could pull it off it was them.
    I accept your point that some of the whole cast meeting each other in the street etc is very unlikely and many mistakes are made but my point is, with the right combination of people and script, it IS possible to make a decent storyline that gets cynics like me gripped, but with the faults like shift-worker casting, rushed storylines and God Awful actors (Oisin anyone?) its like a solar eclipse i.e a rare event but with a lot of cleaning and upheaval FC could be a great show.

Sorry for long post, hope that helps you understand my viewpoint.

If anybody is trying to avoid spoiler avoid looking at the RTE Guide or TV Now covers. Sort of a predictable storyline a few months ago that they've decided to do now!

just spoiler caption what you mean.............. you have people "half" interested now.
    What is it, was the reception counter finally arrested for murdering Mumbles
    Did Dolores decide to report a million euro missing
    Ha charlie now adapted a Rastafarian accent
    Has the Ram being filming again?
    Did the actress playing Ellie get awarded an Emmy?
    Has Dougs head spun off

I need to know!

PS this is another ridiculous RTE publicity flaw. They don't give a hoot about spoiling something, whether it be through website,paper or magazine articles, programme descriptions, teletext, radio or television interviews or even the bloody voiceover before the programme!
    The best was when they spoiled the one time someone won a million on that godawful Nicky Byrne show! It kind of "slightly" took the whole idea of the show away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,802 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

just spoiler caption what you mean.............. you have people "half" interested now.

Hope this works because I'm posting off a phone!
    Tommy and Debbie affair!

No problem, I will tell you where I am coming from with my views on the Heather story and how it ties into my viewing of FC:

But you arent really addressing the most obvious issues I complained about: the constant scene/dialogue/scenario repetition (merely to drag out the plot without too much creative invention being applied), the story failing to be developed and then just ending abruptly, the plot driven character personality transplants, the sense of predictability, the ridiculousness of a doctor making 2 dozen home visits in a month and a half to an 11 year old with a stomach ache and going through the same routine of check up EACH TIME!, someone like Rennee turning into this naive, bimbolike character overnight to suit the plot so that she doesnt believe Meeeeeeeeee Daaaaaaaaaaaaa and the fact that we still haven't been given any indication as to why this plot happened at all, ie what exactly happened to Heather in Brazil!! Shane dropping all common sense just about sealed it!

Surely these are the most important and OBVIOUS issues to address when managing a plot like this! Just because it was an interesting story concept and a couple of the actors can half act does not mean it can get away with such glaringly obvious errors ! A lot of it boils down to the block story plot management system due to the way they contract a lot of the actors but it cant be that hard to address this, even if it costs them a bit more!

I would have slowly built the plot upon over 6/7 months. a couple of episodes a week dedicated to it , a couple of scenes every episode, no more. Have other plots going on, I dont mind the pointless short term filler plots if they allow other plots time to develop naturally. Its just the whole intensivity of it.

The Ballantyne/Cathal story..... that could have been great if it was given another two or three months to really burn up before that "Big Week" .

You are right in saying "with a lot of cleaning and upheaval FC could be a great show."
    There are some great characters who are very distiguishable and consistent (Paul, Wayne, The Ram, Hughie, Cas, Leo, Charlotte, Decco, Doug, Ray), a nice mixture of old and young characters, some great plot concepts, some occasionally brilliant lines and a great set.

But they keep making the same repeated mistakes over and over again so its all ifs, buts and what ifs! Potential is pointless until its fulfilled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Sparkly Blonde

I just finished the other thread 😂 haven't watched in aaaaggggeeesss, is it worth the series record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I just finished the other thread 😂 haven't watched in aaaaggggeeesss, is it worth the series record?

That depends how much you have going on in your life :(
    :D

ha!! Just watch "Ballantyne Night" (mumbles gets murdered by a reception desk, a man with a couple of months to live is told he is going to be locked up for years!) It will feed your fix!!

bazermc wrote: »
    Who the hells makes hot chocolate in a pot on a hob???

Microwave all the way

dee_mc wrote: »
    That depends how much you have going on in your life :(
    :D

Not enough to stop me catching up, although I pop in here from time to time for a brief update 😂

• Advertisement

ha!! Just watch "Ballantyne Night" (mumbles gets murdered by a reception desk, a man with a couple of months to live is told he is going to be locked up for years!) It will feed your fix!!

😂ðŸ‘

Hope this works because I'm posting off a phone!
    Tommy and Debbie affair!

Called it since their Ballantyne days together. The Ram versus
    Gripey
    would be a great duel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

But you arent really addressing the most obvious issues I complained about: the constant scene/dialogue/scenario repetition (merely to drag out the plot without too much creative invention being applied), the story failing to be developed and then just ending abruptly, the plot driven character personality transplants, the sense of predictability, the ridiculousness of a doctor making 2 dozen home visits in a month and a half to an 11 year old with a stomach ache and going through the same routine of check up EACH TIME!, someone like Rennee turning into this naive, bimbolike character overnight to suit the plot so that she doesnt believe Meeeeeeeeee Daaaaaaaaaaaaa and the fact that we still haven't been given any indication as to why this plot happened at all, ie what exactly happened to Heather in Brazil!! Shane dropping all common sense just about sealed it!

Surely these are the most important and OBVIOUS issues to address when managing a plot like this! Just because it was an interesting story concept and a couple of the actors can half act does not mean it can get away with such glaringly obvious errors ! A lot of it boils down to the block story plot management system due to the way they contract a lot of the actors but it cant be that hard to address this, even if it costs them a bit more!

I would have slowly built the plot upon over 6/7 months. a couple of episodes a week dedicated to it , a couple of scenes every episode, no more. Have other plots going on, I dont mind the pointless short term filler plots if they allow other plots time to develop naturally. Its just the whole intensivity of it.

The Ballantyne/Cathal story..... that could have been great if it was given another two or three months to really burn up before that "Big Week" .

You are right in saying "with a lot of cleaning and upheaval FC could be a great show."
    There are some great characters who are very distiguishable and consistent (Paul, Wayne, The Ram, Hughie, Cas, Leo, Charlotte, Decco, Doug, Ray), a nice mixture of old and young characters, some great plot concepts, some occasionally brilliant lines and a great set.

But they keep making the same repeated mistakes over and over again so its all ifs, buts and what ifs! Potential is pointless until its fulfilled!!

WOW, nail hit directly on the head
    By the way, has anyone noticed the different scrip writers change each week,no wonder the plots dont last long and are inconstant

In the past 10 years, I have 90% of the time switched off when the FC opening credits came up. I was sick for a few weeks back when Barry killed that Sarah girl and what started with me just tolerating the story quickly became me wanting to know what happened because to me, in a show full of very weak acting and ridiculous storylines, this was a jewel. I was gripped right up until the end but very shortly after it ended I gave up because I just couldn't tolerate the usual nonsense, not knowing if or when a decent storyline may return.
    That was it until I was told a new family arrived, I gave them a chance but with them needing a while to bed in, I tuned out until people were talking about a developing affair with Jo so I tuned in and I did find Tommy and Jo and Judith (less so the bratty kids) interesting and they are decent actors and they made the best of the script given to them so I tuned in......through it all. I'm ashamed to admit I called off a social occasion because I wanted to see the ep where Tommy admitted the affair and it was fantastic, devastating stuff that split the family apart for weeks afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just a watcher of tv soaps! I have watched and loved Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, 24, Criminal Minds etc etc and all manner of films and documentaries so I know good acting and I know bad acting/scripts.
    There were 1 or 2 other stories I tuned in for but the common denominator for me was when the story was dropped/ended, I was gone, I couldn't take the crap stories if there wasn't something worth hanging around for.
    Cue Heather- I literally happened to be channel hopping and I happened across her doping her little girl and the way she was doing it suggested it was on purpose so I was like "Hmmm....whats this about then" and that led to her flirting with Shane and the whole affair and poisoning (you have to admit that's a bit OUT THERE for FC) and I was hooked, largely because Una Kavanagh, Ellie, Bob and Renee are PROPER actors with vast experience so if anyone could pull it off it was them.
    I accept your point that some of the whole cast meeting each other in the street etc is very unlikely and many mistakes are made but my point is, with the right combination of people and script, it IS possible to make a decent storyline that gets cynics like me gripped, but with the faults like shift-worker casting, rushed storylines and God Awful actors (Oisin anyone?) its like a solar eclipse i.e a rare event but with a lot of cleaning and upheaval FC could be a great show.

Sorry for long post, hope that helps you understand my viewpoint.

FC at its best as I said previously is good viewing. At its worst, it can be terrible. Most of the time, it can be in the middle. All soaps fall into the same thing. Run out of ideas = dream up another affair story. Some affair stories can be good: Shane and Heather was for example and I was not one bit sorry for Ama.

Oisin adds nothing to the proceedings. He acts like an annoying spoiled brat but eventually will become good and settle in. This has been done to death with other characters: we are shown how unlikeable they are at first and then we see them change and become very likeable. Oisin is basically a more upmarket, snobby version of Callum. Emmett is an older version of the same type of character too.

There is too much time given to Orla. She has done nothing remarkable storylinewise and is similar to characters like Robin (who also began her life as a Jimmy Doyle love interest) who are largely forgotten today. When Orla and Robin were in it at first, the likes of Billy Meehan and Marty Halpin outshone them. Robin left it, don't remember why she left it, don't remember much of her storylines only that she was in the garage.

Some characters were a waste. Look at Robbie. He was introduced as a guy who had to work off a debt and was dipping into criminal activities. Now, he is reduced to this Condors storyline. Carol too has gone from being caught up in the Middle of the fallout from organised crime to largely being as bland as Orla. Hooking Carol up with Cathal would have been good or perhaps bring Sylvester Garrigan or dodgy solicitor Anthony Farrell back.

The ultimate test is do people remember characters? Or do they miss them? There have been many that came and went but many would not be even remembered. Robin for example. I had to google to see when she left and she was in it up to as recently as 2009. I would have assumed she would have left around the 2005/2006 mark. Not much was done with her apart from her being with Paul briefly and Jimmy Doyle longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

I always hated Robin. I hope she stays well away! Good looking girl though.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I binge watched the walking dead and was looking for something to carry on the zombie genre, this works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

It's hugely unbelievable that an American doctor would get together with Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

It's hugely unbelievable that an American doctor would get together with Jo

Doctors brother Deirdre said so maybe he isn't a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I hope Tommy isn't heading down the point of no return he's one of the few if not only reasons i tune in to watch the show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

je551e wrote: »
    Doctors brother Deirdre said so maybe he isn't a doctor

Deirdre said he was a doctor too, a lot of folk on this thread don't pay much attention to what's going on, which would explain all the who's Bella ? who's Charlie ? Who's Pete ? type questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement