Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I suppose they will drag the Katy storyline out until Christmas? Most likely as we are only a few weeks from it. Things will come to a head in the hour long Christmas special.

This Dermot story gets weirder and weirder. Why the sudden interest in helping Niamh? Is he planning to rip Paul off and divide his money between himself and Niamh? Has to be that as he appears desperate for money. Dermot must owe some Nidge type a load of money that was used to bribe the doctor to get a fake diagnosis. He is to tell Niamh tomorrow he is 'dying' and it will find its way second hand to Jo via Orla who Niamh tells. All set up as intended by Dermot. Of course he could also get Jo to give him a heap of money to pay off Dr Nidge and more besides. He may owe 600K but he will ask for a million and he will have Paul's money too!

I too find myself wondering about this storyline more than I should, and reading every single article or the tv listings to see if its mentioned! I just wish its resolved this month and that the recent scenes weren't just a tease to keep us going another few months. People will simply stop caring if it drags on much longer.

Oh, and Dermot isn't going to die. Hes another lifer. He will find a donor at the last minute, get better and stay another 20 years on the soap.

I have a feeling this Dermot story is going to be a very complex one that will be a JR Ewing-style Dallas one FC style. I was reading earlier posts and had forgotten a few of the fake illness storylines such as Jane's. This Dermot one will combine a fake illness scam with a dodgy professional scam. Plus a tie in to the other major storyline in FC (he is already linked to the Paul/Niamh one so he has to be linked to the other one too).

First off it would seem Dermot is depressed, poor and single. He is trying to juggle children and careers. He is desperate for money. He sees a plan to get money and some criminal lends him money so as he can bribe a doctor to give him a fake diagnosis that he is dying of liver disease. He lets this information out to certain people sparingly and his intention is for Orla to tell Jo. He brings Robbie to the hospital to make it look convincing. He will also have to find a way to pay back the criminals who gave him the money and contemplated poker. Jo may or may not fall for this and give him access to her new man's cash.

BUT not to worry: the innocent Dermot becomes a crooked conman who sets up a system to take Paul's money and transfer it to Niamh. Niamh of course will insist Dermot take half of it so as to look after his children when he is 'gone'. Dermot will do the same with other clients. Dermot then has been setting this up with months and the criminals he is working for also happen to be associates of Flynn. Dermot has been loaned a million by them and has to pay off half that and the other half is cancelled in return for Dermot looking after their prisoner Katy in return. Dermot has got to be the kidnapper of Katy and this is where things are going it would seem.

I think Dermot is sick.

I think there is going to be some miracle where someone dies and happens to be a liver match and Dermot will live.

I agree that I think Dermot is now going to collude with Niamh to rob Paul of all his money and split it with her, except it wont all work out and everyone will forget it and laugh about it in days to come.

I also think the Katy thing with be drawn out till Christmas. I wonder is Header ever getting out of hospital?

I advise anyone who hasn't seen Ellie (well the actress who plays her) singing as gaeilge in a sweetshop in Bray to give it a watch, it's adorably cute, and I don't usually think kids are cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Angela dies next week

Does it say what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Eoghans trial begins this day next week. Yay, in the hope that the Katy storyline is somehow coming to an end

Also, there's no way Dermot bribed a doctor into pretending he had a fake illness, first time for the cameramen and second time for Robbie. That theory is just a waste of time! Firstly, why? And secondly where would he get the money, that would cost a massive chunk? Plus: loads of other reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Angela dies next week

A liver for Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Dermish-Niamh story has some potential, however, knowing FC writers it will probably drag on for two years with next to nothing actually happening. Countless cliffhangers at each ad break that peter out to nothing. Two years later and Paul's brood of strays will have risen to 7 or 8, and Niamh will begrudgingly welcome them to her home. Dermish and his consultant will completely forget that he should be dead almost 2 years. He'll wake up in a sweat one morning. "****, me new liver?"

walshb wrote: »
    Two years later and Paul's brood of strays will have risen to 7 or 8, and Niamh will begrudgingly welcome them to her home. "

And then take full responsibility of ''securing their future'' in event of a break up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭maurv1

This whole Dermot "terminal illness" thing is very confusing. As was mentioned here recently, there is no sign of any illness at all and yet we are meant to believe he is practically at deaths door. And at the same time, I don't get why people here think it is all some kind of scam , involving doctors, consultants etc :-)

However , I would really love to see himself and Niamh taking the Don to the cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Methinks Hughie won't like that if Dermot goes into cahoots with Niamh! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I'm guessing that the Dermish story line is going to be a Breaking Bad rip-off. Dermish is going to morph from a mild-mannered local accountant to a badder than bad baddie..... You saw it here first....

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

youwould wrote: »
    Does it say what happens?

I think
    she has a heart attack after arguing with Mondo

Anyone think Eoghan might attempt suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think

I hope he doesn't that's terrible.

fin12 wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't that's terrible.

Just an attempt maybe, he has lost his daughter Katy and his missus Debbie, he really has nothing or no one except mammy Rose

I think

No, that would involve too many layers plots at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Just an attempt maybe, he has lost his daughter Katy and his missus Debbie, he really has nothing or no one except mammy Rose

Would certainly be plausible : blames himself for Michael's death, his daughter is missing and now his wife has left him. The one thing that would stop him though would be Katy, it's hard to imagine that he would try this without knowing her fate.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Would certainly be plausible : blames himself for Michael's death, his daughter is missing and now his wife has left him. The one thing that would stop him though would be Katy, it's hard to imagine that he would try this without knowing her fate.

In fairness, as bizarre as it is Stripey caring more about her affair than her daughter missing, you can see why the director(s) have her lose two kids and have an affair, herself and Eoghan are played by quality actors who can certainly consistently handle themselves with deep storylines.

Unlike the repeated facial ticks used by Orla, Niamh and Dolores! Drives me up the wall.... (orla sticks her top teeth out or nods along with her words, Niamh always sighs or something and Dolores always inappropriately glares)

In fairness, as bizarre as it is Stripey caring more about her affair than her daughter missing, you can see why the director(s) have her lose two kids and have an affair, herself and Eoghan are played by quality actors who can certainly consistently handle themselves with deep storylines.

Unlike the repeated facial ticks used by Orla, Niamh and Dolores! Drives me up the wall.... (orla sticks her top teeth out or nods along with her words, Niamh always sighs or something and Dolores always inappropriately glares)

I agree about the guy who plays Eoghan a good actor

Eoghans trial begins this day next week. Yay, in the hope that the Katy storyline is somehow coming to an end

Also, there's no way Dermot bribed a doctor into pretending he had a fake illness, first time for the cameramen and second time for Robbie. That theory is just a waste of time! Firstly, why? And secondly where would he get the money, that would cost a massive chunk? Plus: loads of other reasons.

This Dermot story would make no sense otherwise. Why? To get Jo's sympathy. He could get the money from different sources. Saying this is the only story that makes sense for how we have seen Dermot act is a different thing to saying what they will actually do.

I feel that they have not known what to do with Dermot exactly after Jo suddenly left last year. If he
    gets Angela's live if Angela's death is for real
    and then makes a full recovery I will never be able to take his character seriously again. He is a man who is normal and was in worse humour before he was given 'months to live'. We did not see him break down or we have not seen any physical deterioration befitting a man of his condition. The Floyd storyline where we saw Floyd loose his ability to walk and have bad turns was genuine. Unless the fake illness thing which I do hope is the angle they are going on is for real then this is a sloppy and poorly written storyline.

this is a sloppy and poorly written storyline.

/thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

How could Dermot's illness be fake? Sure haven't we seen him alone with the consultant? Even if he had bribed her for a fake diagnosis (unlikely!), there would be no point in keeping up the charade when they're alone?!

No I think he's sick alright but knowing FC,the story will probably plod along aimlessly for ages and then reach a rushed and unsatisfying conclusion when the writers eventually remember it and don't know how to wrap it up effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

MelanieC wrote: »
    How could Dermot's illness be fake? Sure haven't we seen him alone with the consultant? Even if he had bribed her for a fake diagnosis (unlikely!), there would be no point in keeping up the charade when they're alone?!

No I think he's sick alright but knowing FC,the story will probably plod along aimlessly for ages and then reach a rushed and unsatisfying conclusion when the writers eventually remember it and don't know how to wrap it up effectively.

Yeah, it cant be fake or the doctor bribed if there have been scenes of JUST Dermot and the consultant, that makes no sense to be pretending to chat about a fake liver disease diagnosis with nobody nearby! I still think he will probably faint again soon, start to take his treatment serious and then rapidly go downhill....until a donor is found last minute and he survives yay! Who didn't see that coming? If Niamh was diagnosed with cancer, does anyone here actually think the character could die?
    Katy and her captor are back next week. Her kidnapper torments her by slipping newspaper clippings about Eoghan and the trial and Debbie sleeping with someone else through to her cell and she demands to know what is going on in the outside world. Jesus, this good kidnapper bad kidnapper is really played out. Wrap up now please, don't drag out until Christmas :rolleyes:

Katy and her captor are back next week. Her kidnapper torments her by slipping newspaper clippings about Eoghan and the trial and Debbie sleeping with someone else through to her cell and she demands to know what is going on in the outside world. Jesus, this good kidnapper bad kidnapper is really played out. Wrap up now please, don't drag out until Christmas :rolleyes:

Ok that spoiler signifies the beginning of our heads being wrecked.

Yeah, it cant be fake or the doctor bribed if there have been scenes of JUST Dermot and the consultant, that makes no sense to be pretending to chat about a fake liver disease diagnosis with nobody nearby! I still think he will probably faint again soon, start to take his treatment serious and then rapidly go downhill....until a donor is found last minute and he survives yay! Who didn't see that coming? If Niamh was diagnosed with cancer, does anyone here actually think the character could die?

This meeting with the consultant is one of the two main problems I have with the Dermot story ... the other is his lack of crying/panic attacks/depression as well as further fainting, fatigue, and deterioration. I don't know if they would run a devious JR Ewing type story but Dermot's normality and ENERGY to do all he does do not weigh up with the other part of the story.

It looks like this sounds like
    Cathal
    He
    is the only one who could mess with her head like this, or is this what they want us to think!

So she is being kept in Carrigstown if local newspapers are available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Isn't Dermot just in denial that he's dying, maybe that's why we are not seeing any real strong emotions from him about it, maybe he just can't face it. But obviously he will eventually crack. I don't think he's going to die so he will get a live saving transplant.

MelanieC wrote: »

I overall enjoy FC but know the storylines can run the whole spectrum from very poor to excellent and from pointless to vital. If Dermot is REALLY dying, then this has got to be the most poorly executed storyline yet.

Dermot is one of these characters who haven't had a storyline in years and would not have if Jo didn't leave. He was always largely a background character complementing the many storylines Jo was central in and when she was gone, the makers of FC have been unable to decide what to do with him.

Anything is possible with this Dermot storyline but I cannot take him seriously again if his diagnosis is real. The way Dermot is acting would be like Nidge deliberately seeking to hang out with Dano or Patrick or Fran (after Nidge fell out with these 3 and/or they refused to do a deal or believe him) and going to where they go and being all smiles.

fin12 wrote: »
    Isn't Dermot just in denial that he's dying, maybe that's why we are not seeing any real strong emotions from him about it, maybe he just can't face it. But obviously he will eventually crack. I don't think he's going to die so he will get a live saving transplant.
    It seems Angela will be the key to this
    . His energy levels are too high but I think this storyline is too poorly handled whichever way they decide as there are too many conflicting emotions, actions and reasonings going on. As I said Dermot is never a main character of a story and even here he is being thrown into the Niamh/Paul one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Is it sad I'm looking forward to this thread more than episode...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Dan is such a creep

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement