Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

walshb wrote: »
    You're always causing trouble here.....kidding!

Personally I don't see the need to label gay people. Laura or Nina will do, or even a nickname in line with other characters. Specifically labelling gay characters is a little inappropriate, and odd!

Ah here get off your high horse will you its just a bit of fun, nobody has said anything distasteful against gay/lesbian characters and the nicknames extend to EVERYONE on the show-- have you posted saying how outraged you are about calling someone the Ram, or mumbles? I mean that could be offensive against Rams...or people who have a stammer?

Getting back to the show, wow, you have to have hope as a script writer in this country when you get FC writers inventing, hinting at and then introducing an affair in the space of ONE EPISODE, and not only that, but between two characters who have scarcely shared the screen more than once the last 6 months, absolutely laughable!

But...that wasn't even the worst thing about the episode lastnight- how about 75% of the population of town spending their Sunday morning/afternoon in THE COMMUNITY CENTRE???? That would never ever happen, most people are sleeping off a hangover, preparing a lunch, heading off to visit the family but it seems in FC the community centre (most of them are not open on Sunday) is THE place to be on Sunday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ah here get off your high horse will you its just a bit of fun, nobody has said anything distasteful against gay/lesbian characters and the nicknames extend to EVERYONE on the show-- have you posted saying how outraged you are about calling someone the Ram, or mumbles? I mean that could be offensive against Rams...or people who have a stammer?

Getting back to the show, wow, you have to have hope as a script writer in this country when you get FC writers inventing, hinting at and then introducing an affair in the space of ONE EPISODE, and not only that, but between two characters who have scarcely shared the screen more than once the last 6 months, absolutely laughable!

But...that wasn't even the worst thing about the episode lastnight- how about 75% of the population of town spending their Sunday morning/afternoon in THE COMMUNITY CENTRE???? That would never ever happen, most people are sleeping off a hangover, preparing a lunch, heading off to visit the family but it seems in FC the community centre (most of them are not open on Sunday) is THE place to be on Sunday...

I jusr don't think the nicknames we apply to the charactesr is the same as the gay labeling. That is all. It's a little too deliberate. I am not overly offended. I jusr happen to think it a bit inappropriate to single out characters based on their sexual orientation, regardless of it being malicious or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This week on Fair City

Debbie invests in some alluring new attire to seduce The Ram

39504_1.jpg

whilst...

Niamh is distraught after seeing her Ray Darcy show appearance.

fair-sep-9th.jpg

Meanwhile after wondering why noone turns up to a play about a commemoration that people have started to forget about a month later, The Carrigstown Theatre Group turn their hand to organising their St Patricks day parade.

And

Pete, Damien and The Ram argue about who has to hang around with and humour Dan for the week after Laura needs "5 minutes" off to meet someone.

Fair-City-Eps-41-Pete-forces-Damien-to-choose-him-or-Tommy.jpg

Did anyone see Niamh on the Ray D'Arcy show and did he ask her the infamous question "Are you planning to stay in FC forever?", she strikes me as a real unambitious type who would like to play Niamh until she is 60. I remember a few years back Brendan O Connor asked Martina Stanley when she was on the show was she going to be playing Delores forever and she seemed to bristle with annoyance at the question and spewed some crap about getting "great" storylines. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Did anyone see Niamh on the Ray D'Arcy show and did he ask her the infamous question "Are you planning to stay in FC forever?", she strikes me as a real unambitious type who would like to play Niamh until she is 60. I remember a few years back Brendan O Connor asked Martina Stanley when she was on the show was she going to be playing Delores forever and she seemed to bristle with annoyance at the question and spewed some crap about getting "great" storylines. :p

What wrong with them wanting to stay in a job where they have a steady income which otherwise might be quite difficult in acting, if they are happy with that what's the problem.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    What wrong with them wanting to stay in a job where they have a steady income which otherwise might be quite difficult in acting, if they are happy with that what's the problem.

The problem is they cant call themselves an "actor" if they only have one role to their name, and in the case of Delores and Niamh etc a weak and one-dimensional role at that. Actors play different roles, do theatre, expand their wings as much as possible. Again, being an unambitious person playing the same role wouldn't be so bad in itself but a few of these FC actors have massive egos not at all in line with the role they play. I have it on very good knowledge that a few of the minor actors have absolutely huge egos and swan around like they are Daniel Day Lewis or something, gas really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ah here. Don't be getting all sensible on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The problem is they cant call themselves an "actor" if they only have one role to their name, and in the case of Delores and Niamh etc a weak and one-dimensional role at that. Actors play different roles, do theatre, expand their wings as much as possible. Again, being an unambitious person playing the same role wouldn't be so bad in itself but a few of these FC actors have massive egos not at all in line with the role they play. I have it on very good knowledge that a few of the minor actors have absolutely huge egos and swan around like they are Daniel Day Lewis or something, gas really!

Well it's not just FC plenty of actors in all the soaps have been there for years. Well Niamh is doing theatre work now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Well it's not just FC plenty of actors in all the soaps have been there for years. Well Niamh is doing theatre work now.

In fairness alot of them do theatre and are probably better suited to it but you cant blame them for taking a steady enough role if they can get it.

katkin wrote: »
    In fairness alot of them do theatre and are probably better suited to it but you cant blame them for taking a steady enough role if they can get it.

Delores has the cushiest job in all of Ireland- walk up and down a main street 3 times a day, 4 times a week, bingo!

Another downside to the long term actors is that every time there is a dramatic storyline involving them for example cancer for Delores and a kidnap for Niamh, there is ZERO tension involved because you know the actor is never going to leave the soap and hence nothing is going to happen to the character. Id wager that nobody here got in the slightest way panicked when Delores was given the last rites or when a gun was aimed at Niamh.

Whereas if the Ram went nuts and tried to kill Dermot or vice versa that would be interesting because you couldn't predict what may happen/who may die..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

walshb wrote:
    It came out of nowehere. Typical FC. I know they have had scenes together, and drama, but this is just so rushed.

Lads, ten mins with the Ram is all you need....It's Tommy's animal magnetism!

The writing is do fooked that I wouldn't be surprised if we get 3 months of Laura and Nina OTT PDAs and not once bumping into Sash!

Btw, has Eskimo boy forgotten about Nuss and Farrah? Never seems to meet the now.

Screw that. Eskimo boy doesn't sound right. From now on Emmet is 40 coats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,456 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Emkimo was working at the pub for Robbie already :confused: I remember his clashes with Caoimhe there or did new manager Sash fire him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

walshb wrote: »
    Screw that. Eskimo boy doesn't sound right. From now on Emmet is 40 coats!

That's a bit of an insult to the real Forty Coats :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiGQZfB3EGw

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Emkimo was working at the pub for Robbie already :confused: I remember his clashes with Caoimhe there or did new manager Sash fire him

I don't like the way people on this forum have to stereotype eskimos.......................... Bunch of eskimophobics! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

If they were any way decent, acting jobs wouldnt be a problem?

Unfortunately many good actors in Ireland get ignored due to the RTE cabal. But wait.... that then works its way down to the so called "independent" sector (mickey mouse film festivals) which creates yet another cabal! (those that exist in Irish indie land on the basis of fake awards ceremonies and massive BS!)

Ultimately the Irish acting community is small, just like the Irish film and TV industry aka community. Most FC actors are still jobbing in Film Board funded shorts for feck all dosh. Why?? They are still trying to be taken seriously. In fact a lot of them still do stuff for free! In the hope of some newbie director of an obscure short film or promo, making it. This is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

laylag wrote: »
    Lads, ten mins with the Ram is all you need....It's Tommy's animal magnetism!

The lynx effect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If they were any way decent, acting jobs wouldnt be a problem?

Unfortunately many good actors in Ireland get ignored due to the RTE cabal. But wait.... that then works its way down to the so called "independent" sector (mickey mouse film festivals) which creates yet another cabal! (those that exist in Irish indie land on the basis of fake awards ceremonies and massive BS!)

Ultimately the Irish acting community is small, just like the Irish film and TV industry aka community. Most FC actors are still jobbing in Film Board funded shorts for feck all dosh. Why?? They are still trying to be taken seriously. In fact a lot of them still do stuff for free! In the hope of some newbie director of an obscure short film or promo, making it. This is fact.

Irish film, music, and all other sectors of the Irish entertainment industry is clearly set up to protect and defend the few. Many poor to mediocre actors, singers, etc. gain enormous publicity because the media push them all the way. Meanwhile, many much more talented people cannot get anywhere. The closed shop mentality and the 'who you know' mentality of our media is revolting.

Fair City's actors range from poor to excellent and so does Fair City itself. A lot of the better actors in it often do not get the breaks they deserve in their acting careers and all too often, the poorer characters/actors in it like Orla get too much screentime.

Irish film, music, and all other sectors of the Irish entertainment industry is clearly set up to protect and defend the few. Many poor to mediocre actors, singers, etc. gain enormous publicity because the media push them all the way. Meanwhile, many much more talented people cannot get anywhere. The closed shop mentality and the 'who you know' mentality of our media is revolting.

Fair City's actors range from poor to excellent and so does Fair City itself. A lot of the better actors in it often do not get the breaks they deserve in their acting careers and all too often, the poorer characters/actors in it like Orla get too much screentime.

Couldn't agree more. Why on earth do p!ss poor characters like Orla and Niamh get so much airtime when genuinely good actors like Bob, Heather and Renee only get to shine once in a blue moon, its a crying shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

Ah fekc, Nina's back :(

• Advertisement

Christ, it will be the 125th Anniversary of 1916 before this play gets the go ahead. We will be back in English control by then and The GPO will be replaced by a multistory shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Thats hi larious with Damo in the hardware shop just stuffs 20 squid under the joke till

Was Gripey and Stripey's Spar shop really a two man job?

I hope one of the extras wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

That guy....from Love/Hate....Jesus he is awful

THE RAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Hate boy is whose mechanic, apart from Hayley's?

And so it begins..............................

Three months of "Its Over,"............ "I cant do this anymore",.............. "I love gripey",............ "I miss you Tommy",............ "Listen Stripey I cant do this anymore to Gripey",,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Come to the ploughing championship with me".......

fasten your seatbelts boardsies. Its going to be a repetitive three months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Laura is Damos sister but she has an American accent. Also.......go on Tommy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

This poker bit is lame

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement