Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭jos28

in fairness it was a good scene, well portrayed. Don't think Mongo is the WORST actor on the show but all his plots, mainly involving stupid scams and schemes are awful and non eventful. He adds nothing to the show, character wise.

I agree with you there TB, I'd love to see them give him some decent storylines. Something other than the cheeky chappy schemer. He did a good job tonight so hopefully they will write some decent stuff for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So will Nina get Sash or Laura back into bed first
    Both.

Now there's a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Caoimhe and the new baby in hiding

Damo has them hidden in his neck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    One raise of the ram's eybrows and she's his.

The writing has improved a fair bit with a lot of quotables...

my favourite was the interaction between Paul and Chewie..
    Paul: "and while yer thinking about it...A Woine, A point and an Oringe"

Oisin's writing and acting is great.. Paul's falling apart... Oisin grabs popcorn and literally watches.

What's the deal with Nicola... I missed a part a few months ago... is she plotting something against Paul with Oisin?
    baldbear wrote: »
    Her death scene on the couch was the best acting I saw in a long while in fait city.

What a poxy exit.

Were they trying to pull an Emmerdale? Where the same kinda thing happened, to a character?
    Anyway i thought that was a cheap stunt, im mean its FC not eastenders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

in fairness it was a good scene, well portrayed. Don't think Mongo is the WORST actor on the show but all his plots, mainly involving stupid scams and schemes are awful and non eventful. He adds nothing to the show, character wise.

But it's bizarre they just brought her back to kill her off. I mean, they could have had her back a few months so the audience could get a bit attached to her character again. Even Mongo, he is only on screen afewdays every few months.

It isn' the suddenness of the death, thats realistic but the suddenness of bringing her back to kill her off.

For a soap death, it was surprisingly realistic. Usually soaps go down the melodramatic or sensational route but someone simply being found dead is something that does happen in real life (I imagine what Mondo went through would be a secret fear of many adult children).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,756 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Isn't a washing machine meant to be beside the sink? (mine is) I think their sink is over at the wall.

No you just need a water supply in and some where for the water to drain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,756 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When Mondo phoned 999 I was expecting the operator to ask for his Eircode!

Stop stop stop ! After month of confusion I just have to ask : which one is Stripey and which one is Gripey ? I just can't get it into my head .....literally head wrecking !! Can we not change one of their names ? :-) :-) :-)

Stop stop stop ! After month of confusion I just have to ask : which one is Stripey and which one is Gripey ? I just can't get it into my head .....literally head wrecking !! Can we not change one of their names ? :-) :-) :-)

stripey is Debbie cause she is always wearing stripey tops. Of course if Eoghan gets time for his killing of Michael he could also be stripey which could get very confusing.

Speaking of prison. Was Leo the last character to have scenes in prison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It could have been Sash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

bazermc wrote: »

stripey is Debbie cause she is always wearing stripey tops. Of course if Eoghan gets time for his killing of Michael he could also be stripey which could get very confusing.

Speaking of prison. Was Leo the last character to have scenes in prison?

No there's been loads.

Decco, Eddie, Paddy Bishop, Sasha, The Ram, Vivienne, Barry, few more I think

Actually maybe Paddy Bishop was out of jail before he arrived.

If the actor that plays Ray isn't back for the funeral, it is a farce.

Deegan as chief mourner, even though he knew her really only a couple of days.

No there's been loads.

Yeah but did FC actually show these guys in prison or just reference they are serving time. The only character I can recall is Leo in prison.

No there's been loads.

Yeah but did FC actually show these guys in prison or just reference they are serving time. The only character I can recall is Leo in prison.

Nope, they showed them!! Whether in visiting or in the actual cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They definitely showed Eddie and Decco. If I remember correctly, Decco stopped Flynn's gang from killing Eddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Does Mondo live in that apartment too? I thought he lived with Dean? So Mondo let's hilmself in. His Ma is sitting there on the chair like a statue even though she just died of a heart at tack. You don't have a heart attack and sit calmly down and die. Not.a word about her having any sort of heart condition. If you have a heart attack big enough to kill you in one go you are on the ground. Mondo calls 999, the operator genuinely sounds like she's taking the piss. Anyway she's dead. Few hours later Mondos in the pub breaking the news to the rest of Carrickstown. Few hours later. Mondo and Deegan are back in the apartment. Deegan is sitting in the chair his lover and Mondos mother has just died in. Deegan nips off to bed leaving Mondo on his own (Does he live there?) So where's Decco his best mates? No pals at all with him, no relatives, not a beer or a cup of tea for Mondo? Then 8 hours later he rings his father to tell him his wife is dead. What was the point of his Ma coming back at all? Some big inheritance or something? And I think we all know, Ray won't be back for weeks? Will we see her French B&B partner over for the funeral or will it be a funeral of about 12 people like she was a Complete recluse?

I suppose Bunnion will have a big posh community speech ready for the funeral, even though he didn't even bury either of his own wives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

she would hardly be a donor for Dermot?

This is precisely where they are going with this. Dermot sets this thing up with Niamh in a scam to take Paul's money. He then learns of Angela's death and a liver that suits him. That's fairly obvious how it is panning out at this stage.

Niamh will be caught in the middle of the fallout. While Dermot's health takes a positive step, Paul no doubt will suffer a heart attack because of all the stress. Oisin will be on the warpath backed by Charlotte and the Bishops.

Elsewhere I would like to see the Katy story more centre stage. We need episodes focusing on her in detail as opposed to 1 minute at the start and end at this stage. We all know who the kidnapper is it would seem from reading between the lines but why is the big question? Eoghan's trial and the fallout from it has to be linked into it in some way?

The Laura fitness fanatic/steroids storyline one can do without. It is a sequel to this Condors basketball one that seems to be fillerinner around the more interesting storylines. This Condors story was teasingly used during the Cathal and Flynn as well as the Heather stories and this Laura one is the same now.

How in gods name would Dermot have any means of entitlement to Angela's liver?? You can't just decide you wantg it, nor can family decide to give it to you?? Hi, any chance I can have that liver, I once had a drink with her in the local.

If Dermot gets Angela's liver, this may be up there with the most farcical of the plots so far!

• Advertisement

Plots in soapland do not always base themselves on reality and clearly often are not realistic. Communities are oversimplified and plots are written to come up with a bigger storyline. Angela was brought in for a purpose and was killed off for a purpose: to serve another storyline obviously.

Dermot is one of these characters who has had no real storyline for years so they have decided to give him one now. If they wanted to write him out, as all they would have to do is for him to go over to America and get back with Jo. If they wanted to kill him off, all they would have to do is not show him and then have his funeral. The fact they bothered with this Paul scam and Dermot willing to take 100% of the risks is clearly to set up a storyline where Dermot is to face the wrath of Paul and others who get hurt and to have a professional misconduct storyline. Things will not go well for him that is certain and his life saving operation will be bittersweet to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I agree that they are probably going down the road of Angela being a donor and Dermot will live to fight another decade. But they do have an alternative-you know, get rid of his character and replace him with someone new and fresh and interesting. All actors on FC are on a contract that can be terminated at any time. I really think its time for some fresh blood on the show and that characters like Niamh, Delores, Dermot, Ram and Charlie should be sacked. Its just boring watching any Niamh and Paul interaction, its the exact same ending- they end up together.

Just like in 2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017.2018.2019......:rolleyes:

I agree that they are probably going down the road of Angela being a donor and Dermot will live to fight another decade. But they do have an alternative-you know, get rid of his character and replace him with someone new and fresh and interesting. All actors on FC are on a contract that can be terminated at any time. I really think its time for some fresh blood on the show and that characters like Niamh, Delores, Dermot, Ram and Charlie should be sacked. Its just boring watching any Niamh and Paul interaction, its the exact same ending- they end up together.

Just like in 2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017.2018.2019......:rolleyes:

I agree. A lot of these characters should either be replaced or reinvented. If we are to have characters in it that take up a lot of screentime, then do something interesting with them. This is the first Dermot storyline I can remember in a long time. All his previous stories in the last 10 years or more were more about Jo and her goings on with Deirdre and then Ben's illness, etc.

I think Niamh and Paul as a married couple have done all that is possible at this stage. Affairs, business crises, fights over Paul's ways in business, etc. have been done to death at this stage. Maybe it would be good to see them apart and build up new traits for their characters?

Dolores can be good when given the material. The story with her and Lucy was excellent and should have been continued for a bit more. Sometimes, characters are not in it long enough to make an impact. Eddie the conman who was in prison with Decco is an example of one potentially interesting character got rid of too soon. Some characters such as the guy who previously owned the Station before Dan and Una the sister of Turlough were interchangeable and were just copies of characters that existed already in it anyway. They often were rather silly too. In fairness to Tommy his character was often featured in the better storylines of recent times.

Leo and Carol are two characters who once had great stories. The former does not even appear in it much now and the latter is reduced to a run of the mill character often although the recent Trigger storyline got us back to the old Carol.

I'd like to see more of a focus on the Bishops. Decco, Charlotte, Zumo and Denzo all have great potential. Perhaps a prison story for Denzo would be good? Oisin is another interesting character.

The worst character in it at present for me in Orla. She does not offer anything and there is not a hell of a lot that can be done to make her character interesting. Cannot recall one interesting storyline she was ever a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

[QUOTE

The worst character in it at present for me in Orla. She does not offer anything and there is not a hell of a lot that can be done to make her character interesting. Cannot recall one interesting storyline she was ever a part of.[/QUOTE]

Do you not remember when Junior was in hospital with an ear infection Orla cried for 3 weeks solid

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

My suggestion for the Paul/Niamh/Derms storyline: Dermish succeeds in transferring all Paul's money resulting in Paul having heart attack. Dermish then gets Paul's liver transplanted into him which instantly transforms his personality so he keeps all the money and Niamh ends up with nothing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Would Angela's liver be any good seeing as she is dead, arent donors usually on life support to keep organs fresh? I dont know though, not a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My suggestion for the Paul/Niamh/Derms storyline: Dermish succeeds in transferring all Paul's money resulting in Paul having heart attack. Dermish then gets Paul's liver transplanted into him which instantly transforms his personality so he keeps all the money and Niamh ends up with nothing.

Yea but even if the FC writers had the wit to go there with the storyline, the next step would be for Niamh to fall in love with newly philandering Dermish and we'd be back to square one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

It's turning into the X files here, livers been claimed an all ;)

The worst character in it at present for me in Orla. She does not offer anything and there is not a hell of a lot that can be done to make her character interesting. Cannot recall one interesting storyline she was ever a part of.

Do you not remember when Junior was in hospital with an ear infection Orla cried for 3 weeks solid

Remember it only too well. This is precisely the kind of storylines Orla is infamous for and why she offers nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

@ BuilderPlumber, I too absolutely hate the character of Orla, so much so that I will actually start flicking through my phone whenever she appears on screen, I couldn't care less what she has to say, an awful screechy boring character who in real life would have fled Carrickstown years ago for pastures new..

I think that the actors have very little control over the scripts and storylines so I'm sure Niamh is probably sick of playing the whole do I trust Paul, is he having an affair act by now. But I also get the feeling that if they say one negative thing about the soap, that's it GONE! (look at Harry Molloy and Jo and others in the past), which leads me to believe a lot of the script writers are very thin skinned with big egos instead of trying to come up with fresh ideas. Instead, we are subjected to the same old drivel of Niamh and Paul for DECADES, who wants to watch the same scene over and over :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tragic thing is, in the right hands and right actors, FC can be edge-of-your-seat fantastic. It really can- that story with Heather had me gripped every second she was on screen and watching her unravel was disturbing but unmissable television but 90% of storylines are predictable drivel. Even this Katy story could be salvaged if they presented an intelligent link between Stella and Ciaran, even that would be worth the weeks of teasing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement