Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

nagdefy wrote: »
    Right, actors like Jo, Christie and Harry criticised the show and got short shrift?

Obviously there may have been more going on behind the scenes but all those people got absolutely shafted when they mentioned the slightest negative thing about the show, I imagine FC is ruled by fear and a real attitude of "Do as we say and keep your mouth shut" and the actors and actresses get little to no input into their characters development.

If Ireland were bigger they could just say "Sod it! I'm off to a bigger/better production" but they take any gig they are given. Do you really think people like Dan and Sean are happy to play their roles? Dan is a mere extension of Lauras mind: He only ever appears when Laura is thinking about steroids or other women. Sean only appears twice a year to complain about his love life, I mean theres no WAY they could be happy in that soap and hence why a lot of them do proper work between FC, but of course they have to have the big painted smiles on them for the media and gush about how great it is to be in Irelands favourite soap!

Shame, as I'm sure people have a lot of great ideas about storylines but trusting a handful of decent script writers (hence the Heather and Katy storylines) out of a few dozen is just poor odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

nagdefy wrote: »
    Yes i'm losing sympathy with her by the episode. It obviously would make for a shorter storyline but why doesn't she rant at him,filefor divorce and get her 50%, do the decent thing!

One of the greatest myths out there is that in a divorce or separation each party is entitled to 50%. Simply not true.

In a case such as Paul and Niamh , Niamh loses out by a fair whack. Firstly none of the children are hers. (No dependants - no child maintenence ) Secondly she has been helped on her way business wise by Paul - it's not like she was chained to the kitchen sink and gave up her career. She can easily earn a living for herself and owns a house (her mams). Therefore no spousal maintenance. She can't really go for Judicial Separation on grounds of adultery as she has been adulterous in the marriage herself - she'd be a laughing stock.She'd be entitled to eff all really.

Sadly Fair City never takes on issues in a responsible way or educational way. There could easily have been scenes done with Niamh visiting a solicitor and finding out all the above. This would have made the storyline far more believable. Instead we get herself and Dermish talking the same endless c**p the whole time !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

Nagdefy. I don't know how to private message . Just wondering do you know you can an injection to prevent pheumonia for 5 years. As I remember you said you have chest infection.
    To send a private message click on the name of the person to whom you wish to send a message (in the name box to the left of the post). Select private message from the list that appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

walshb wrote: »
    Sorry, have to ask again. WTF are Niamh and Dermish doing?

Dermot and Paul are going to double cross Niamh and rob her money.

They'll then reveal that they are in love. To keep their secret they had kidnapped Katie ( she had found out about the love affair as she was given the wrong script ).

They'll then move to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,239 ✭✭✭✭walshb

desbrook wrote: »
    One of the greatest myths out there is that in a divorce or separation each party is entitled to 50%. Simply not true.

In a case such as Paul and Niamh , Niamh loses out by a fair whack. Firstly none of the children are hers. (No dependants - no child maintenence ) Secondly she has been helped on her way business wise by Paul - it's not like she was chained to the kitchen sink and gave up her career. She can easily earn a living for herself and owns a house (her mams). Therefore no spousal maintenance. She can't really go for Judicial Separation on grounds of adultery as she has been adulterous in the marriage herself - she'd be a laughing stock.She'd be entitled to eff all really.

Sadly Fair City never takes on issues in a responsible way or educational way. There could easily have been scenes done with Niamh visiting a solicitor and findinpg out all the above. This would have made the storyline far more believable. Instead we get herself and Dermish talking the same endless c**p the whole time !

She is legally Ruth's mother. Sourpuss is an adult. But Niamh I believe is legally her mother. Through legal adoption I think. So through legal adoption she is mother to both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Obviously there may have been more going on behind the scenes but all those people got absolutely shafted when they mentioned the slightest negative thing about the show, I imagine FC is ruled by fear and a real attitude of "Do as we say and keep your mouth shut" and the actors and actresses get little to no input into their characters development.

If Ireland were bigger they could just say "Sod it! I'm off to a bigger/better production" but they take any gig they are given. Do you really think people like Dan and Sean are happy to play their roles? Dan is a mere extension of Lauras mind: He only ever appears when Laura is thinking about steroids or other women. Sean only appears twice a year to complain about his love life, I mean theres no WAY they could be happy in that soap and hence why a lot of them do proper work between FC, but of course they have to have the big painted smiles on them for the media and gush about how great it is to be in Irelands favourite soap!

Shame, as I'm sure people have a lot of great ideas about storylines but trusting a handful of decent script writers (hence the Heather and Katy storylines) out of a few dozen is just poor odds.

FC at its best is good TV. As with any soap though it can go through periods of poor storylines and sometimes ridiculous storylines coexist with the good ones. The whole Ballintyne story and the Heather story were kept company by the Condors basketball story for example. Dan, Laura, Sean, etc. all have good potential if given the right material. Perhaps having less stories but of a better quality at a given time would be best? The Condor storyline was not needed and the related Laura steroids one did not go anywhere. The Dean fighting storyline was one that could have developed further.

Only character in FC I can say I dislike is Orla. When she is the major storyline source the stories are always poor. Her sick baby one was infamous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Loads of business terms tonight! I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

walshb wrote: »
    She is legally Ruth's mother. Sourpuss is an adult. But Niamh I believe is legally her mother. Through legal adoption I think. So through legal adoption she is mother to both.

Paul is biological father and therefore stands more chance of custody - Niamh would owe Paul child maintenance. Rachel was until recently a student. If she goes back shes a dependant till she is 23 and once again Niamh is liable for her maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Loved the way Niamh compared being married to Paul with having terminal cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I'm bored! What's happening with KT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Do fair city script writers think that you dont need training to look after old people?

desbrook wrote: »
    Paul is biological father and therefore stands more chance of custody - Niamh would owe Paul child maintenance. Rachel was until recently a student. If she goes back shes a dependant till she is 23 and once again Niamh is liable for her maintenance.

My point was from a legal view. You said the kids are not hers. Legally she is their mother. Biology is a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

I flit in and out of fair city so I don't know everyone's name, but that girl Cass seems to have taken under his wing has literally zero redeeming qualities, why would they even bother with her!

Although in typical soap fashion I presume she'll turn her life around and be a pillar of the community in no time!

Oh please, pull out of the fooking plan and spare us all this sh1te.

Guarantee you Dermiisssshhhh and Niamhs plan will be back on by the last scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Amanda has not one redeeming feature. Every word out of her mouth is vitriolic (same for Hayley)...... yet they're all bending over backwards to give her a bed. Stooopid.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Where's Charlit?

Amanda has not one redeeming feature. Every word out of her mouth is vitriolic (same for Hayley)...... yet they're all bending over backwards to give her a bed. Stooopid.

Am I bovverred?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Back by popular demand.....it's The Plan!!!!!

Bets on last scene being Dermissshhhh and Niamh meeting up and Niamh saying she wants to take everything and that he will wish he never crossed her

AGAIN

• Advertisement

Niamh is all in!

Bets on last scene being Dermissshhhh and Niamh meeting up and Niamh saying she wants to take everything and that he will wish he never crossed her

AGAIN

HAHAHAHA-GIF.gif?gs=a

Ffs ..... didn't we see that last scene verbatim three weeks back! Copy and paste scutter. What are they paying writers for.

I would like to say you couldn't write this sh1t................

but the truth is SOMEONE is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

AGAIN

It really is beyond a joke. Might as well just watch the same episode on repeat for two weeks and we'd have the same amount of progression!

Ffs ..... didn't we see that last scene verbatim three weeks back! Copy and paste scutter. What are they paying writers for.

We have seen it about ten times already!! It really is madness!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Niamh and Paul is just deja vu at this stage.

Niamh is really pathetic, no other way of describing her. The minute Paul shows any bit of decency and she's all in love again. Really unstable character!

8.23 niamh loved him enough to forgive all and take him back home for a good seeing to. 8:28 she hates him enough to want him destitute. Would the actors themselves not say ..... ah here .... this is ridic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I'm confused. Is the speakeasy going into Barry's old house?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement