Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd say it's normal not to respond to criticism. In fact depending on how it's phrased I could see them regarding some criticism as abuse, and plenty of it as non constructive.
    In any case, how would they respond?! 'We know the quality of some of our storylines is poor but we take your totally non-professional, unsolicited feedback on board and will try to perform better in future'?
    I've often seen and heard of tv programme writers/producers/actors responding to praise but I've never seen them respond to criticism, let alone apologise for it and I wouldn't expect or want them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I JUST WANT ANSWERS! !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Caoimhe has gone out about 3 nights this week. She is a very strange person, was desperate to have a child and now always complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

What do you "want answers " about. ? You are so so negative all the time. Why ccan'tyou give praise wwhere it's due. Everyone is talking about how good fair city is at the moment. There are a few posters on this site who write very long constructive criticism about fc. And their points are always extremely interesting. But you are just so over the top in your constant slagging and negativity that i feel sorry for you.

What do you "want answers " about. ? You are so so negative all the time. Why ccan'tyou give praise wwhere it's due. Everyone is talking about how good fair city is at the moment. There are a few posters on this site who write very long constructive criticism about fc. And their points are always extremely interesting. But you are just so over the top in your constant slagging and negativity that i feel sorry for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'd say it's normal not to respond to criticism. In fact depending on how it's phrased I could see them regarding some criticism as abuse, and plenty of it as non constructive.
    In any case, how would they respond?! 'We know the quality of some of our storylines is poor but we take your totally non-professional, unsolicited feedback on board and will try to perform better in future'?
    I've often seen and heard of tv programme writers/producers/actors responding to praise but I've never seen them respond to criticism, let alone apologise for it and I wouldn't expect or want them to.

I agree. First of all Fair City is something that I can say I look forward to. Sure there are periods when the storylines are poor (normally they tend to involve Orla!) and sure it often oversimplifies things for the sake of the story (most TV series and films have to and FC is not alone). But there are also some great storylines and the current Katy one imo is one of the better ones. If it wasn't, no one here would be talking about it for months!

There is a lot of stuff on Irish TV that deserves criticism and that the media force on us despite it being not as popular as they want us to think. There is a whole lot of music and reality TV drivel that is an insult to real singers and real TV producers that is constantly pushed on us. FC on the other hand is doing exactly what a soap is supposed to do (the same could not be said of singers who are singing urban pop and marketing it as country music for example or some poor chatshow host giving us the same old guests year in year out and pretending he is upping his game every year) and FC is as good as and often better than the UK soaps.

A lot of criticism of all things is abusive and poorly argued. It is often done for the sake of it and not because of any well thought out argument. Credit where credit is due should be given too. The Katy story as well as the Heather one are 2 of many FC stories that got people interested. Not only are they good stories but they can build ground for other good stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,837 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

As twists go, it's so far flung it could work! Maybe Dervla Dillon has been recast and it's her in the pic.

I think it's more likely Ciarans sister than ex girlfriend because he couldn't be so bitter about an ex that he'd do this to Emmet yet still carry on with Alannah. This seems to be a like for like situation but given how angry he got about Katy ripping the scarf and how upset he got when he looked at the picture we can assume she is dead. Maybe she committed suicide when Emmet dumped her or was killed in an accident and Emmet was to blame or survived.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out a girlfriend, especially if he had been with her for years and was his only relationship. Love can make people do crazy things, people have sometimes even killed a love rival before.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,742 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has anyone said anything to Debbie and Tommy about their affair besides the family, I mean come on Dermot do a dance and say I told you so and also Jackie she should be angry at both, is Caoimhe not ashamed her ram father has broke up another family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

fin12 wrote: »
    Caoimhe has gone out about 3 nights this week. She is a very strange person, was desperate to have a child and now always complaining about it.

LOL - sounds like most parents me included

Strazdas wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily rule out a girlfriend, especially if he had been with her for years and was his only relationship. Love can make people do crazy things, people have sometimes even killed a love rival before.

The 'lie' that Ciaran told Emmett about another girlfriend may not be 100% a lie. It may be the start of his campaign to get Emmett to talk about his relationships with this person both of them clearly knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,223 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am 99 percent negative about the show and 99 percent positive about the thread. I always thought the thread operated better this way.

A lot of criticism of all things is abusive and poorly argued. It is often done for the sake of it and not because of any well thought out argument. Credit where credit is due should be given too. The Katy story as well as the Heather one are 2 of many FC stories that got people interested. Not only are they good stories but they can build ground for other good stories.

The story premise(s) at times are good, but their delivery and flow and continuity and acting is pretty sh1t, hence the craic we have here.

It truly is make it up as you go along.

The 'lie' that Ciaran told Emmett about another girlfriend may not be 100% a lie. It may be the start of his campaign to get Emmett to talk about his relationships with this person both of them clearly knew.

The kidnapping of Katy could possibly have twin aims for Ciaran. First of all, put Emmett through months of hell by perhaps making him think Katy had been murdered but then ramp things up even further just before he releases her. He clearly has no intention of killing her, it's all about punishing Emmett.

Double post

walshb wrote: »
    I am 99 percent negative about the show and 99 percent positive about the thread. I always thought the thread operated better this way.

Why watch it with 99% negativity. Sad.

Ooh apparently there is another kidnapper involved and the story takes an unexpected twist. .. Dum Dum Dum

Is there a new reveal or is it because the papers are saying Katy's kidnappers? If there is a second kidnapper, then it has to be Stella and that would make Stella either Ciaran's sister or else (if the girl shown with Emmett is not Ciaran's sister but ex girlfriend) that girl's sister.

Builder plumber. Your post about urban pop singers is completely right. Why don'tthey just call themselves that instead of country and western singers. There is nothing worse than going to a country and western gig and hearing un country and western music for 3 solid hours.

Builder plumber. Your post about urban pop singers is completely right. Why don'tthey just call themselves that instead of country and western singers. There is nothing worse than going to a country and western gig and hearing un country and western music for 3 solid hours.

Did you ready my post? The thread is 99 percent positive, hence why I and others watch it. They cannot exist separately. No show, no thread. No thread, no show. That's just me.

• Advertisement

Is there a new reveal or is it because the papers are saying Katy's kidnappers? If there is a second kidnapper, then it has to be Stella and that would make Stella either Ciaran's sister or else (if the girl shown with Emmett is not Ciaran's sister but ex girlfriend) that girl's sister.

Knowing FC and this story and its all over the shop road map then I wouldn't be surprised if there were others. The fact that they haven't at all been revealed, or being part of the build up and progression of the story wouldn't bother the writers. Just quickfire in random characters as accomplices as you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Rose16 wrote: »
    Ara fx&k.. This stuff wud drive ya to distraction..as if the super employer, business owner, tycoon Paulo Brennan or Doug and Douger would forget their is a steel sound proofed room conveniently plumbed wit a bathroom suite & metal bed behind that steel dresser !!
    If Don Paulioni knew it was there, he'd have rented it out for €1000 a month !

• Registered Users Posts: 86,742 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rose16 wrote: »
    Ara fx&k.. This stuff wud drive ya to distraction..as if the super employer, business owner, tycoon Paulo Brennan or Doug and Douger would forget their is a steel sound proofed room conveniently plumbed wit a bathroom suite & metal bed behind that steel dresser !! Lol lol in real life if ya drop a biro behind a filing cabinet your boss will find it..

I can't do this to meself anymore..I'm looking behind every kitchen cabinet for shergar

Is the shed the Bishops lock up remodelled :p now Decco is going straight and missing

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

People are allowed to have different opinions you know. I don't always agree with TTB but I do find that when FC is good, that he praises it. But as most of us on this forum know, FC is only good about 10% of the time! If you want to read posts that are constantly in favour of FC no matter what the storyline, then I suggest you engage with Fair City fans on twitter and Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What criticism? Here it's not so much criticism, it's downright slating. I wouldn't respond either.

Not all of it is slating. I know people here feel different ways about the show but I was genuinely willing to give this Katy story some credibility and it looked as I they set up an intriguing premise, with a list of suspect and an unknown motive. But then they literally p!ssed all over the story from a massive height by first ramming down the not-so-subtle hints that its Love Hate all summer long so they already ruined any possibility it could be someone else.

Then they had Katy get angry and going mental a full 4 months into her stay in that tiny room, as if up to that point she just happily accepted her situation.
    I could even, at a massive stretch, forgive the numerous plot holes such as a complete lack of investigation from Deegan into this new person who is close to the family, his Guard girlfriend who not once even questioned him about his past or his family etc, none of the O Briens suspecting this new stranger who is living with Emmet and offering to help left right and centre, nobody asking why Ciaran was buying so many meals and doing so much washing.

All of that I could just above forgive but the final nail in the coffin for me was expecting the audience to believe that Ciaran masterminded all of this COMPLETELY ALONE- keeping a young girl fed and watered, buying her magazines, dvds, treats etc, doing all of her washing, fixing her sink, keeping all visitors away from this cell, plus fitting in a full time job as a mechanic, sending many weekends putting up flyers with Emmet, drinking with his workmates all hours of the day and night, entertaining his casual girlfriend...all for ONE PERSON???? No fcuking way. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I agree with you that literally the ONLY way to salvage this story would be to introduce the second kidnapper and explain whats going on. Sadly I think that we are expected to swallow that Love Hate did it all alone which is preposterous and makes no sense whatsoever. A motive is only decent if people buy into the act of the kidnap and how they (not he!) planned it out.

Guys, it's a soap. By soap standards it's in the halfpenny place compared to some of the bonkers stories on the British soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

I agree with you that literally the ONLY way to salvage this story would be to introduce the second kidnapper and explain whats going on. Sadly I think that we are expected to swallow that Love Hate did it all alone which is preposterous and makes no sense whatsoever. A motive is only decent if people buy into the act of the kidnap and how they (not he!) planned it out.

I need to know what Internet company he's with because he's got incredible wifi. I can't even get wifi that good in my own home when I'm right next to the bloody internet connection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What??? You feel sorry for me?.:get over yourself! Anyway you always seem to take issue with my posts so I'm not going to read much into this.

The "I just want answes" was a joke!! You weren't meant to take it literally........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

whosthatciaran_zpsmex45qaw.jpg

It's obvious Ciaran used to be that girl in the photo :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement