Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Have a feeling the Oisin / Charlotte "open relationship" is gonna backfire on one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

fin12 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty unfair how this show is ripped to shreds day and night, all the other soaps are aren't much better and don't get near the amount of negativity this show gets.
    If it's so rubbish than why are it's ratings always so high. On a personal note. Did you hear back from movie extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Mmmmm dunno................. could it be because Fair City is bad ?

Did you follow the Threads on Red Rock or Love Hate and see it "ripped to shreds"??
    No.

Because they were brilliant . Well written .....with actors who could act. And that's a understatement .

I don't follow the thread on red rock because I don't watch it and Love/hate I'd hardly call the 4th season well written, that was terrible and I wouldn't call everyone in Love/hate actors as some of them in it were not acting but playing themselves. Guard in real life playing guard in show, criminal in real life playing criminal in show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wonder where the Cathal - Debbie storyline is going. Could it unwittingly "out" Ciaran as the kidnapper or lead to someone like Jodi or even Cathal discovering his secret? Ciaran has already clashed with Jodi a couple of times so perhaps there's more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Strazdas wrote: »
    I wonder where the Cathal - Debbie storyline is going. Could it unwittingly "out" Ciaran as the kidnapper or lead to someone like Jodi or even Cathal discovering his secret? Ciaran has already clashed with Jodi a couple of times so perhaps there's more to come.

Tune in in October 2017 to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If it's so rubbish than why are it's ratings always so high. On a personal note. Did you hear back from movie extras.

That's a weak comeback. Ratings are high for the X Factor, that doesn't mean its any good, Breaking Bad took ages to get going and hardly anyone watched the first season. I think you are mistaking "good" for "popular". Just because a lot of people watch Winning Streak and Ear to the Ground that doesn't change the fact that its complete and utter rubbish.

Difference is, sometimes FC can be decent but its very few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Gripey becomes infatuated with Morbegs over Christmas and asks Stripey for a divorce.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

That's a weak comeback. Ratings are high for the X Factor, that doesn't mean its any good, Breaking Bad took ages to get going and hardly anyone watched the first season. I think you are mistaking "good" for "popular". Just because a lot of people watch Winning Streak and Ear to the Ground that doesn't change the fact that its complete and utter rubbish.

Ah now. Not 'complete and utter rubbish' if you're from an agricultural background which a substantial percentage of the population are from.

youwould wrote: »
    Gripey becomes infatuated with Morbegs over Christmas and asks Stripey for a divorce.

Didn't see that coming!

It is a cultural thing. It is on peak tv, regular 4 times a week listing and an RTE institution. It would be very hard for the one consistently shown Irish prime tv programme not to get decent viewing figures. Pitt another soap against it or a match or anything other than a repeat or a relatively interesting programme against it and it will lose most its ratings. Same with Winning Streak, Ray Darcy, Late Late. They are winners rating wise regardless of quality.

Oh, and the Ear to the Ground programme. That is a realistic focus on rural Ireland! It isn't laden with bad plots, script errors, bad acting and consistency errors! Which is what the main criticism of FC revolves around here!!

• Advertisement

Real Madrid v Dortmund is on tonight. FC will lose a good amount of viewers. They drop the show when an Irish match is on as they know they won't attract viewers.

Not everyone has anything past the Irish stations also.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Ah now. Not 'complete and utter rubbish' if you're from an agricultural background which a substantial percentage of the population are from.

Well I'm not from that background therefore I cant stand it and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. Same with Winning Streak- sometimes its just "on" in the background with nobody paying any attention to it. A viewing of half a million doesn't really mean 500,000 people transfixed by the screen...

Don't look at it so. You can't generalise that something is rubbish because you don't like it.

I don't like The Toy Show but i won't call it rubbish as a huge percentage of the population enjoy it.

Don't look at it so. You can't generalise that something is rubbish because you don't like it.

I don't like The Toy Show but i won't call it rubbish as a huge percentage of the population enjoy it.

Personally I only watch FC because it is rubbish! And, yes, its messed up. But by god, I love the craic on this thread!

Personally I only watch FC because it is rubbish! And, yes, its messed up. But by god, I love the craic on this thread!

I understand TTB.

Just certain programmes like Ear to the Ground show interesting new developments in the area covered. It wouldn't be rubbish to me!

While agreed FC is rubbish you won't learn anything from it or it won't move you at a deeper level etc!!

Now Winning Streak is fill in but it could be of interest if Aunt Margaret was on it winning half a million, she had no kids and was your godmother ;)

I understand TTB.

Just certain programmes like Ear to the Ground show interesting new developments in the area covered. It wouldn't be rubbish to me!

While agreed FC is rubbish you won't learn anything from it or it won't move you at a deeper level etc!!

Now Winning Streak is fill in but it could be of interest if Aunt Margaret was on it winning half a million, she had no kids and was your godmother ;)

Searches through the Succession Act 1965/ approaches Aunt Margaret tell her you need a loan to invest in a scheme,.............. Fks off to Marbella and never returns!

Tells Aunt Margaret you are terminally ill but fancy a trip to Cavan...............

Searches through the Succession Act 1965/ approaches Aunt Margaret tell her you need a loan to invest in a scheme,.............. Fks off to Marbella and never returns!

Tells Aunt Margaret you are terminally ill but fancy a trip to Cavan...............

I'll be consulting that financial wizard, Eddie (son of Grabbit from Pajo's Junkbox) in prison about my investment too!

I'll be consulting that financial wizard, Eddie (son of Grabbit from Pajo's Junkbox) in prison about my investment too!

well........... I won't give too much away but it involves a POD with a nighttime disco for sufferers of Bunnions.

Now PLEASE don't patent it!

I'm not. I'm saying that a lot of people who live in the city wont bother with that show just like I'm sure a few will. The point is that even if FC gets high ratings that doesn't in itself mean its a great show. Popularity has never equated to quality in almost every area of life- music, tv, films, fashion, social etiquette etc.

I'm not. I'm saying that a lot of people who live in the city wont bother with that show just like I'm sure a few will. The point is that even if FC gets high ratings that doesn't in itself mean its a great show. Popularity has never equated to quality in almost every area of life- music, tv, films, fashion, social etiquette etc.

I agree re. popularity not equating to quality in all aspects of life and culture.

• Advertisement

Ear to the Ground is "quality" for what it is intended to be and for whom it's target audience is! It does what it says on the tin! Viewers that have a vested interest in it or general interest in rural Ireland don't generally criticise it's content! It is what it is or at least what its meant to be!
    FC isn't what it is or what it is meant to be! Thats the problem :D

I agree re. popularity not equating to quality in life and culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

youwould wrote: »
    Which one is gripey and which one is stripey. Also you need to be separated before divorcing.

bazermc wrote: »
    Which one is gripey and which one is stripey. Also you need to be separated before divorcing.

Gripey is Eoghan :)

bazermc wrote: »
    Which one is gripey and which one is stripey. Also you need to be separated before divorcing.[/SPOILER]

Stripey

[Removed Image]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThzLpqCRW3n1Rx0yTqfbFpyeREr5sQrB3jicXc7sosh8NHi2pu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThgaEMF7pXOGxC5aqqHYRzUyiwboPXgLjwM1y_vSrDE-bcJtYmEw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCJybbbLJoCCH5yQDjKNGl9IXuXSAkbFblUAWe4pDBaNGtOJ9Zsw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSddBBDmtOtuweKVqtp2RPLvFVG7ch4FI06AYAzq26G_NBrJJK2RA

Gripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS6EGftg-8WW55sLPTRvqZPjk-vYk79cEDCEH_zp4o9gej9fTNSw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjZz2qYdq4DILNtdfq7TG35ZHupNEr9L5Z6MGOP2a0y8nLmtEtCQ

Stripey Gripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScVmriqzAtQdHkkihQC27m1DsdCk0eWKqwSut9IvmcesR-FmOi

Gripey Stripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3xxVN893L-EySUPXQ034wOODOFTUcflRQVIQCbbUatVmHktvm1w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

FC can range from very good to very poor depending on the story and what characters are being written for. Stories can range from quite good (Katy, Heather, Lucy, gangland) to poor (anything to do with Orla) to bizarre (current Dermot one).

BUT: FC even when it is poor is much better than a lot of the true junk Irish TV have on. All that poor reality stuff, all them chefs, Stetsons and Stilettos and Celebrity Bainisteor being but a few obvious examples of real drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

fin12 wrote: »
    I don't follow the thread on red rock because I don't watch it and Love/hate I'd hardly call the 4th season well written, that was terrible and I wouldn't call everyone in Love/hate actors as some of them in it were not acting but playing themselves. Guard in real life playing guard in show, criminal in real life playing criminal in show.

Love/Hate is very much missed on Irish TV. I think it was an excellent series and the fact one has real Gardai and real ex criminals in it enhanced it. Sadly RTE drama has taken a nosedive since then with restrained, mediocre and poor fare ever since.

Season 4 of Love/Hate imo was good but was intended to set things up for season 5. Maybe they ended the Dano/IRA story too soon. FC is at its best when it enters Love/Hate territory. Gangland figures in it have given us many of the better stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Virtually the only real criteria you can use for a soap opera though is how it's faring in the ratings and by that standard FC is doing very well, currently the second most watched programme on RTE1 after The Late Late Show. If it was a genuinely bad show, I don't think the ratings would hold up to that extent.

FC can range from very good to very poor depending on the story and what characters are being written for. Stories can range from quite good (Katy, Heather, Lucy, gangland) to poor (anything to do with Orla) to bizarre (current Dermot one).

BUT: FC even when it is poor is much better than a lot of the true junk Irish TV have on. All that poor reality stuff, all them chefs, Stetsons and Stilettos and Celebrity Bainisteor being but a few obvious examples of real drivel.

That episode last month where Katy almost escaped was the best episode of FC I have ever seen, followed very closely by the Heather storyline. And I'm a complete control experiment here- I watch NO other soaps and generally I appreciate excellent acting so I loved The Wire, Breaking Bad, and any tv shows which are highly acclaimed so I know quality acting when I see it. Equally I have seen my fair share of rubbish on tv or in movies.

I'm coming to FC from a pure unbiased angle- I scarcely even breathed the night Heather blurted out her affair to the pub and started the series of events which led to her breakdown. I enjoy the real actors in FC and I know that I have to put up with absolute illogical and boring crap like Damien, Pete, Orla, Sean, Laura etc as an offset for the genuine quality drama that FC can deliver if it tries.

There are 2 extremes to FC- I think The Talking Bread is a bit far towards "every single thing about FC is rubbish" for my own liking, but you don't want someone who wont even admit one negative aspect of the show, I like to think I'm somewhere in between, and yes I enjoyed the theorizing with yourself during the KT story when I thought they may have a different angle on it!

Moral of the story- good acting and script writing will always get peoples attention.

• Advertisement

I'm possibly on my own but i enjoy Ireland's Fittest Family. It's never predictable. Some of the really muscular families who do a lot in the gym often prove to be 'show ponies'. A family you don't really expect to do well may have better technique over obstacles and be hardier in general.

I've a feeling FC is going to improve a lot soon and we might even end up saying the finale of the KT story was worth waiting for :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement