Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Strazdas wrote: »
    Virtually the only real criteria you can use for a soap opera though is how it's faring in the ratings and by that standard FC is doing very well, currently the second most watched programme on RTE1 after The Late Late Show. If it was a genuinely bad show, I don't think the ratings would hold up to that extent.

no it isn't! Are you honestly saying you judge something's quality by its viewership?

As I said earlier re FC viewership figures being decent: It is a cultural thing for Irish viewers. It is on peak tv, regular 4 times a week listing and an RTE institution. It would be very hard for the one consistently shown Irish prime tv programme not to get decent viewing figures. Pitt another soap against it or a match or anything other than a repeat or a relatively interesting programme against it and it will lose most its ratings. Same with Winning Streak, Ray Darcy, Late Late. They are winners rating wise regardless of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

That episode last month where Katy almost escaped was the best episode of FC I have ever seen, followed very closely by the Heather storyline. And I'm a complete control experiment here- I watch NO other soaps and generally I appreciate excellent acting so I loved The Wire, Breaking Bad, and any tv shows which are highly acclaimed so I know quality acting when I see it. Equally I have seen my fair share of rubbish on tv or in movies.

I'm coming to FC from a pure unbiased angle- I scarcely even breathed the night Heather blurted out her affair to the pub and started the series of events which led to her breakdown. I enjoy the real actors in FC and I know that I have to put up with absolute illogical and boring crap like Damien, Pete, Orla, Sean, Laura etc as an offset for the genuine quality drama that FC can deliver if it tries.

There are 2 extremes to FC- I think The Talking Bread is a bit far towards "every single thing about FC is rubbish" for my own liking, but you don't want someone who wont even admit one negative aspect of the show, I like to think I'm somewhere in between, and yes I enjoyed the theorizing with yourself during the KT story when I thought they may have a different angle on it!

Moral of the story- good acting and script writing will always get peoples attention.

I can't say FC has ever effected my breathing:D

Now Love/Hate certainly did. Would you find any of the old horror films like The Omen, The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby giving you that type of feeling? I wouldn't be scared per se but the old classic horrors still excite me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

As I said earlier re FC viewership figures being decent: It is a cultural thing for Irish viewers. It is on peak tv, regular 4 times a week listing and an RTE institution. It would be very hard for the one consistently shown Irish prime tv programme not to get decent viewing figures. Pitt another soap against it or a match or anything other than a repeat or a relatively interesting programme against it and it will lose most its ratings. Same with Winning Streak, Ray Darcy, Late Late. They are winners rating wise regardless of quality.

Which is an absolute crying shame coz the man cannot do a decent interview to save his life, never have I seem someone make such a balls of having a conversation with another human being. He laughs, interrupts and misses the point, then leaves long gaps and makes for cringe viewing. Woeful interviewer.

That episode last month where Katy almost escaped was the best episode of FC I have ever seen, followed very closely by the Heather storyline. And I'm a complete control experiment here- I watch NO other soaps and generally I appreciate excellent acting so I loved The Wire, Breaking Bad, and any tv shows which are highly acclaimed so I know quality acting when I see it. Equally I have seen my fair share of rubbish on tv or in movies.

I'm coming to FC from a pure unbiased angle- I scarcely even breathed the night Heather blurted out her affair to the pub and started the series of events which led to her breakdown. I enjoy the real actors in FC and I know that I have to put up with absolute illogical and boring crap like Damien, Pete, Orla, Sean, Laura etc as an offset for the genuine quality drama that FC can deliver if it tries.

There are 2 extremes to FC- I think The Talking Bread is a bit far towards "every single thing about FC is rubbish" for my own liking, but you don't want someone who wont even admit one negative aspect of the show, I like to think I'm somewhere in between, and yes I enjoyed the theorizing with yourself during the KT story when I thought they may have a different angle on it!

Moral of the story- good acting and script writing will always get peoples attention.

That unfair. Anytime I criticise it, I give fairly reasonable reasons. And I have complimented aspects of it before. (and not just that apple biting scene from The Ram either!)

Take for example the Heather storyline, it consisted of repetitive scenes, unrealistic behaviour by Shane and his house visits, unrealistic aspects such as Renee completely turning against Farrah. There was some good aspects to Heathers acting and Farrah is a very realistic and consistent character (apart from her aesthetic and career changes over the years!!)
    It was anticlimatic and I genuinely think you are going way over the top about that scene in the end! I would like to see it again maybe to convince me otherwise!

• Advertisement

If it's so rubbish than why are it's ratings always so high. On a personal note. Did you hear back from movie extras.

Got the anti pneumonia vaccine yesterday thanks donkeykong. Very kind of you to mention it.

That unfair. Anytime I criticise it, I give fairly reasonable reasons. And I have complimented aspects of it before. (and not just that apple biting scene from The Ram either!)

Ah I know theres room for all views here, I must look harder for your occasional compliment ;)

I just had an image of you there in tears reading my comment just like Love Hate a few weeks back when KT wrote he was a psycho.

"The things you wrote about me Wanderer, they weren't true, LIES!".

Which is an absolute crying shame coz the man cannot do a decent interview to save his life, never have I seem someone make such a balls of having a conversation with another human being. He laughs, interrupts and misses the point, then leaves long gaps and makes for cringe viewing. Woeful interviewer.

Oh horrendous.. How Brendan O'Connor was moved to accommodate him i'll never know. He's getting worse as he ages.

He can't handle strong women at all.

Ah I know theres room for all views here, I must look harder for your occasional compliment ;)

I just had an image of you there in tears reading my comment just like Love Hate a few weeks back when KT wrote he was a psycho.

"The things you wrote about me Wanderer, they weren't true, LIES!".

Pure defamation, I'd say!

nagdefy wrote: »
    Oh horrendous.. How Brendan O'Connor was moved to accommodate him i'll never know. He's getting worse as he ages.

He can't handle strong women at all.

Literally his technique is to just giggle throughout the whole conversation and miss the entire point of his guest. I had to hide behind the sofa when he was interviewing the lawyer from Making a Murderer- painful.

• Advertisement

Jesus Robbie has a plan and Cathal now..

What grave did they get Dermot's new business associate out of? Jesus he's insipid.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,148 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, Dermish. You'd want to get that flu looked at...sorry, sorry. Liver!

Wtf are the plan(s)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

"Dermot only put me on the list last week" she wasnt his p.a last week LOL

FFS, Gripey. It's Kiki, not K T. To LoveHate it's ki ki.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

If it's so rubbish than why are it's ratings always so high. On a personal note. Did you hear back from movie extras.

Got the anti pneumonia vaccine yesterday thanks donkeykong. Very kind of you to mention it.
    My arm was sore for a week after it. But I am glad I got it. It lasts 5 years. Hope you will be back in February for your work.

My arm was sore for a week after it. But I am glad I got it. It lasts 5 years. Hope you will be back in February for your work.

Same here with the arm :)

Stripey: Jodie, tell Lauren that she can find me in the Ballintine stacking the vending machine.

Jesus Stripey instead of naively believing every single thing some prostitute stranger who goes missing for days at a time tells you, maybe a few alarm bells should be ringing at the fact that your previously good as gold mysterious sidekick is foaming at the mouth at any mention of KT being in Dublin.

Love Hate mustn't have a job anymore- since he was revealed, there hasn't been one scene of him working with Doug or Ray.

• Advertisement

Stripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThzLpqCRW3n1Rx0yTqfbFpyeREr5sQrB3jicXc7sosh8NHi2pu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThgaEMF7pXOGxC5aqqHYRzUyiwboPXgLjwM1y_vSrDE-bcJtYmEw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCJybbbLJoCCH5yQDjKNGl9IXuXSAkbFblUAWe4pDBaNGtOJ9Zsw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSddBBDmtOtuweKVqtp2RPLvFVG7ch4FI06AYAzq26G_NBrJJK2RA

Gripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS6EGftg-8WW55sLPTRvqZPjk-vYk79cEDCEH_zp4o9gej9fTNSw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjZz2qYdq4DILNtdfq7TG35ZHupNEr9L5Z6MGOP2a0y8nLmtEtCQ

Stripey Gripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScVmriqzAtQdHkkihQC27m1DsdCk0eWKqwSut9IvmcesR-FmOi

Gripey Stripey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3xxVN893L-EySUPXQ034wOODOFTUcflRQVIQCbbUatVmHktvm1w

Can I laugh at my own post please!! :D:D:D:D:D:

Can I laugh at my own post please!! :D:D:D:D:D:

It's annoying when you think you have typed a comedy gem or produced a work or art and you seem to be the only one laughing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bad continuity this evening.

Jane gets a phone call to collect Ben. She magically gets off work to collect him and brings him straight to Dermot's house. She's wearing completely different clothes to the bar uniform she was seen in minutes ago.

Her acting leaves a bit to be desired too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

OMG, they're turning Jodi into a Stripy :eek: did you see the dressing gown she was wearing?

It's 'Missing Persons Day' today, it was mentioned the other night on FC but I thought it was something FC just made up, (just seen it on the news) FC never even mentioned it tonigh.... Things like this are the reason why people laugh at FC! .... Aren't I right Bread? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

For gods sake I know the housing rental problem in dublin is bad, but does Mongo honestly think he can get his two tenants to move out every weekend so he can use the place for an air B and B.

Is there not a lease in place that provides for quiet enjoyment. ??

The rental sector is mad now Ben, these things do happen. 'Share a bed ' that's how bad things are.

Sorry, Bez! ^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Sorry, Bez! ^

Baz :)

Oh, :D

• Advertisement

It's annoying when you think you have typed a comedy gem or produced a work or art and you seem to be the only one laughing:mad:

It isn't annoying when you know it is a comedy gem!!! And you know it! :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement