Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'll never have my hopes up about Christmas after last year. They had the ad with Heather in it, looked like serious **** would go down. The Christmas ep then proceeded to be terrible

No mention of Heather in ages either. Looking at the rte Christmas guide there wont be too many episodes of fait city over Christmas. So will Dermot or katy feature in these?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Your wan who knocked on eoins taxi and aaked are your free looked demented .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Me and the missus were away for the last week so have four episodes to catch up on. Might watch them on fast forward after reading this thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ahahahaha mad thing eoin sprays your man in the eyes !

• Registered Users Posts: 56,138 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What may have saved the episode was Gripey reacting remotely normal to Spillane and jumping him, choking him to within an inch of his life and then breaking free at the last second (not wanting to be a double killer) with Spillane having escaped death...No, instead barrier man got blinded for his very minor indiscretion.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Last nights episode was way too little, way too late. If it had happened near the end of Summer when the family were about to implode from the grief and tension then it MAY have been interesting as we didn't know what had happened to KT. As it is, its bizarre to think that its still going on this long, I was fully convinced it would ne resolved last month with that great episode.

But last night was just a massive anti climax, and by the way no robber ever, in the history of the world, would turn back and ask their victim what motivates them. Weird. And I also agree that he should have beaten Cathal to an absolute pulp, even killed him, he had nothing to lose.

Cmon now Katy storyline -it NEEDS to end now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Last nights episode was way too little, way too late. If it had happened near the end of Summer when the family were about to implode from the grief and tension then it MAY have been interesting as we didn't know what had happened to KT. As it is, its bizarre to think that its still going on this long, I was fully convinced it would ne resolved last month with that great episode.

But last night was just a massive anti climax, and by the way no robber ever, in the history of the world, would turn back and ask their victim what motivates them. Weird. And I also agree that he should have beaten Cathal to an absolute pulp, even killed him, he had nothing to lose.

Cmon now Katy storyline -it NEEDS to end now.

Eoghan is meant to be at his wit's end though and a broken man. The Eoghan of a year ago would certainly have gone for Cathal and given him a hiding (as he actually did when Debbie was held hostage).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Ahahahaha mad thing eoin sprays your man in the eyes !

As he was saying 'you're on candiiiiid camera'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

When is Heather back? According to Renee back in October "somebody close to me is coming back soon to cause havoc".So it that "reality" soon, as in January 2017, or "Fair City soon" as in Janaury 2020?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

As he was saying 'you're on candiiiiid camera'

I wonder if that was suppose to be CCTV?

I thought the prostitutes were hilarious. Where were they suppose to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I wonder if that was suppose to be CCTV?

I thought the prostitutes were hilarious. Where were they suppose to be?

They're way behind the times. All prostitution in Ireland is done online now.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I would have assumed the days of street walkers and Benburb Street and all that is long gone and a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Strazdas wrote: »
    Enjoyable episode for me. There was almost a hint of Liam Neeson in Taken with the father desperately searching for his daughter.

I wonder where they'll go with the Eoghan storyline. Even if he doesn't jump, he looks like someone on the verge of a nervous breakdown - death of Michael and Katy's absence is driving him to the edge.

My brother - who only half watches fair city made the same Taken comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Yes, I was wondering about that. I would have assumed the days of street walkers and Benburb Street and all that is long gone and a distant memory.

While Benburb street ended with the coming of luas, you are very wrong. There are lots of girls still plying a trade on the streets.

Last nights episode really needed to happen before we knew who was responsible for holding KT. As an episode, it came across as a very self indulgent piece that was out of place. Now self indulgent episodes of soaps make great TV , but only within some kind of believable context. There was no believable context last night. We know who has KT. We know Cathal hates the gripeys and we know Cathal wanted to piss them off. But FC went to a different level of production to waste the viewers time.

In terms of production, I read a media piece today from the actor who plays Eoghan. He went on about a night shoot around Dublin that took weeks, blah blah. I can safely say that the majority of last nights episode was shot in the RTE complex. The only different thing done was in a car with the actor and streetscape shots done from most likely the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just watched Sunday's episode, what a brilliant episode. Really nice to Fair city outside of the set. Eoghan is a great actor.hope he doesn't go through with jumping.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    While Benburb street ended with the coming of luas, you are very wrong. There are lots of girls still plying a trade on the streets.

Are there? You would have thought the 'street' scene would have been obliterated by the rise of the internet and smartphones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

fin12 wrote: »
    Just watched Sunday's episode, what a brilliant episode. Really nice to Fair city outside of the set. Eoghan is a great actor.hope he doesn't go through with jumping.

Yup if jumps he'll probably crash through the roof of the garage where Katie is being held captive, killing her instantly.

Poor chap will get life imprisonment.

fin12 wrote: »

Sorry Fin, but FC didn't really go outide the set. All the main action took place within the RTE grounds. The rest of it was a Go Pro and a cameraperson with an actor in a car.

Sorry Fin, but FC didn't really go outide the set. All the main action took place within the RTE grounds. The rest of it was a Go Pro and a cameraperson with an actor in a car.

I wonder if there is some contractual thing that won't allow them film outside the RTE campus? Coronation Street and Eastenders have often filmed at locations well away from their studios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I wonder if there is some contractual thing that won't allow them film outside the RTE campus? Coronation Street and Eastenders have often filmed at locations well away from their studios.
    I'd say it's more to do with not wanting to spend any money.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'd say it's more to do with not wanting to spend any money.

That would certainly spring to mind but it would hardly cost 'that' much to film a scene or two away from RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That would certainly spring to mind but it would hardly cost 'that' much to film a scene or two away from RTE?

I thought it was well put together last night even if story is silly. We got many sights of the city via the cab and this was blended with scenes that were no doubt filmed on campus. I don't see an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This story is going f'in nowhere.

a9985f25fcc457d549ada5d97423e56be41f4c4e8ade2326920b4c90e6bd7555.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Last night started really well, looked great. But....it descended into nonsense as soon as he picked up the prostitute. Where was this red light district? Lucky Eoghan had met whatever her name in Athlone. WTF was the thief/coffee scene in aid of? Christ what an anti climax. That was Cathals big motiveless plan? "Ha ha it's a wind up mate, lol!" And Eoghan just walks off, in the direction of the roof of course. If (and he wont) Eoghan jumps, cathals prints etc would be all over the place. If its an industrial estate, cctv. Cathals revenge is as pointless as Ciarans revenge. You know what's a great way to get back at people? Just kill them, or beat the crap out of them, burn down their house. Not embarking on a month long elaborate plan that will put your freedom at risk. Cathal holding the Gripeys responsible for his father's death is as ridiculous as Eoghan being responsible to Mumbles death

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Eh, I liked the episode regardless of it being shot in the RTE grounds or not. It was different and good to see it away from the FC set itself. The one thing I didn't like is the whole Cathal aspect of it. Ridiculous beyond belief at this stage. Also if he's blaming The Ripeys for his fathers alleged death why aren't The Ram, Carrie Crowley and others being blamed as well? Stripey wasn't the only one involved. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Are there? You would have thought the 'street' scene would have been obliterated by the rise of the internet and smartphones etc.

Hey, some of you guys seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject of 'street entertainment' :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Bit surprised at the amount of negative response to the episode tbh. We all love poking fun at the ludicrousness of FC but credit where its due,I actually thought it was top class. Eoghan was thoroughly believable and I was gripped throughout. I know we knew it was all a wild goose chase as we know where KT is but this just made it all the more powerful for me as we were witnessing a desperate man whose pursuit we knew was inevitably fruitless.

I think the reason Eoghan didn't do the predictable and batter Cathal is all hope of finding his daughter alive had been snatched away and he finally just gave up,no energy or fight left in him to punish Cathal. He sprayed the barrier guy because at that stage he still had hope and was high on the adrenalin but at the end all hope was gone and his attitude was just what is the point anymore?
    Thought it was poignant too that it was LoveHate who rang him at the end and he just said to him "she's gone."

That episode was on a par with the "release" one a few weeks ago IMO and actually quite affected me! Thought all the actors (barrier guy,thief,guard,prostitute) were all good and believable too.

Well done FC I say (and I don't say it all that often ;-), more of this calibre please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Cathal holding the Gripeys responsible for his father's [whom he didn't really know and actually disliked] death [from cancer] is as ridiculous as Eoghan being responsible to Mumbles death
    as ridiculous as Ciaran holding wombles responsible for his sisters disappearance..... i wonder if this storyline is filed under 'The Stories of Misdirected Blame' in RTÉ Headquarters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

No FC on Next Tuesday 20th, per the RTE TV listings

Wonder why that is??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement