Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Just read the story about that Indian woman who has given birth at 72.
    I sincerely hope that Stripey carries some bits and pieces in her bag.
    72, eh? Maybe even Mary from Glenroe could benefit from a visit to the pharmacy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

walshb wrote: »
    Oisin's character is utterly pointless. He has not had a civil/decent conversation with any of his family since he arrived weeks back. His dad, stepmum and sister cannot get on with him. He has nothing but contempt for them, so why is he in the show? Apart from poncing around all day messing on dating apps and arranging house banging raves at noon time with a bunch of mutes?

Can't stand the character. There are literally no redeeming features to him for anybody to want to know him or spend any time in his company. He's ridiculously written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

monkey9 wrote: »
    Can't stand the character. There are literally no redeeming features to him for anybody to want to know him or spend any time in his company. He's ridiculously written.

Oisin is a cocky know it all who thinks he has the answer to everything. He will alienate all his family and friends including Charlotte with his attitude. He will start relationships with Jane just for fun and with that business partner for business reasons and expect Charlotte to be happy about it. She won't be. From his cocky putdown of Paul last night, Oisin clearly is going into the drugs business and when a Nidge type he owes money to is on his tail, there is only ONE man who can help him: Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Hitchens wrote: »

I see we got a mention in the comments section....

" They should reduce the number of writers because the
    storylines have gone to complete pot in recent times.
    Hilarious thread on boards.is that is better than the soap
    itself.( not hard these days)" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ah i misread it as the actual piece mentioned us (deservedly so). Sure that was probably someone who posts on here!

• Advertisement

55,000 an episode WTF

"Actors on RTE's long-running drama earn nearly €460-a-day",

Holy F$&k

Only The Ram deserves that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FCs biggest issue with their stories is that they overload them with characters that have nothing to do with the story. The likes of Sean's story has been hijacked by two middle aged women in Niamh and Orla, who are poncing around making pointless conversation. The same with Dan and Laura and Dean and Caoimhe.......

walshb wrote: »
    FCs biggest issue with their stories is that they overload them with characters that have nothing to do with the story. The likes of Sean's story has been hijacked by two middle aged women in Niamh and Orla, who are poncing around making pointless conversation. The same with Dan and Laura and Dean and Caoimhe.......

ah its good to finally have Sean having some sort of contact with his family!!!

Not a mention about him when his sister was almost killed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Sparkly Blonde

If that's how much they earn I'd say Mr tax man loves them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

If there's 26 writers they could only do 2 weeks a year? Absolutely gobsmacked at those wages! Emmets hit the jackpot, he's appearing for a couple mins only some episodes.... No wonder they send so many on holidays so often!

If there's 26 writers they could only do 2 weeks a year? Absolutely gobsmacked at those wages! Emmets hit the jackpot, he's appearing for a couple mins only some episodes.... No wonder they send so many on holidays so often!

ah, a lot of the scenes are shot in a day though. So Emmet's could have a fortnight of scenes in a day or so. Likewise Charlie/Cas/Bella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Literally the only thing FC scriptwriters got right this year was the Heather/Ellie storyline which I thought was dark, gripping and fantastically absorbing, top marks to Una Kavanagh etc for that one. But such quality is only once in a blue moon as since then we have had.....Carol and Wayne fighting for a luxury car business...Ciaran coming to town and adding nothing to the show...the Rebellion play which went on for 3567899 years....a pointless affair between Debbie and Tommy....and....em...I think Damien and Pete had a fight or something?

My point is FC COULD be excellent if the scriptwriters actually sit down and think up a well-arced plot which starts slowly and involves actors who can, you know, act and make you believe in their struggle. I hated FC for years and only tuned in for the great storylines which were few and far between, come on guys pull your finger out!

Where is Neil?

So when Jackie appeared last night for a minute she was paid 460 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Where is Neil?

So when Jackie appeared last night for a minute she was paid 460 euro?
    Was it not €460 per day of filming, rather than €460 per episode? As far as I know it's only in sitcoms like Greys Anatomy or The Big Bang Theory where the main cast members who appear in every episode are paid by the episode. In soaps like Fair City they're more likely to be paid per day of filming, otherwise we'd be looking at a much, much smaller cast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Literally the only thing FC scriptwriters got right this year was the Heather/Ellie storyline which I thought was dark, gripping and fantastically absorbing, top marks to Una Kavanagh etc for that one. But such quality is only once in a blue moon as since then we have had.....Carol and Wayne fighting for a luxury car business...Ciaran coming to town and adding nothing to the show...the Rebellion play which went on for 3567899 years....a pointless affair between Debbie and Tommy....and....em...I think Damien and Pete had a fight or something?

My point is FC COULD be excellent if the scriptwriters actually sit down and think up a well-arced plot which starts slowly and involves actors who can, you know, act and make you believe in their struggle. I hated FC for years and only tuned in for the great storylines which were few and far between, come on guys pull your finger out!

There's never any follow up though. We got a couple of weeks of Ellie acting up for Renee and now nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

No FC tonight :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah the poxy Eurovision is on instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

Ah fekc :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

26 scriptwriters? Doesnt surprise, probably explains why the whole thing is so disjointed, like its ridiculous that the Ellie story is dropped as if Heather being institutionalised is some sort of conclusion, by the time they return to it who's going to care. Money for old rope eh. Why cant they reduce down to five or six GOOD writers and there might be some consistency/flow to it, and get rid of some of those lame characters that have been hobbling around since it started. I really like the new character, Sash's prison buddy, there should be more characters like that on Fair City, that actually reflect real working class Dublin, or anywhere in Ireland for that matter, instead of faux tycoon's like Paul Brennan etc. Much more entertaining imo.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    There's never any follow up though. We got a couple of weeks of Ellie acting up for Renee and now nothing.

precisely. I joked at the time that Heather would go to the hospital and not a mention until she returns like nothing happened and perfectly recovered! Just like Tommy!

I never got the adoration for the plot anyway!
    That plot was pretty ridiculed on here at the time which i thought was the general consensus! A few good scenes but overall for three months of a plot, it could have been covered in a fortnight, such was the way it played out! Repetitive scenes, people acting out of character. a doctor making three house visits a day to a girl twenty yards down the road with a sore tummy, evry day before the break Heather would seduce Shane followed by after the break Shane would wriggle free and say he cant do this!! All to prolong the plot. The predictability of it all! There was no moment when you went, "wow, didnt see that coming" was there?

It was a great concept ill agree but so may production mistakes in this regard that could have been avoided easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,446 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why is Orla stalking Sean's new girlfriend online :confused: she is like a groupie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

This is a national disgrace

The Eurovision is not even on the same channel as fair city

On the other hand Fair city doesn't seem to be bad now after watching the sh**e that bumped it.

26 writers!
    The late Wesley Burroughs must be turning in his grave.
    For donkey's years he was the only script writer for 'Glenroe,' and before that 'The Riordans.'
    The "writers" on FC must be laughing their heads off.
    "Today, we'll put Garda Deegan on the street to arrest fellas for p1ssing against a wall , tomorrow we'll have another poker game in the Centre, on Thursday we'll turn van driver Mondo into a top Marketing Consultant, then on Sunday we'll give Charlie another dose of bunions. No, wait, let's make it piles or dandruff this time....There, you see what I did there? It's called 'thinking outside the box".
    So obviously Brendan Behan, James Joyce and myself all have a creative mind. And it's why RTE pay me the big bucks.
    Right, well, that's my 3,500 earned for the day. Someone call my driver, I'm going home.
    See ya"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don't mind the Eurovision, there's nearly at least one song that I like in it, I actually like Ireland song this year and Australia's one and Latvia's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,446 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Sean not a backing dancer for Jedward, he should tell his new bird that to impress her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Sean not a backing dancer for Jedward, he should tell his new bird that to impress her

Ya he is haha, I saw him dancing with them when Jedward were at the Marquee. In fairness to them they put on a good show.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    fin12 wrote: »
    Ya he is haha, I saw him dancing with them when Jedward were at the Marquee.

He's ashamed to admit it. Jaysis, wouldn't you be too? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

katkin wrote: »
    26 scriptwriters? Doesnt surprise, probably explains why the whole thing is so disjointed, like its ridiculous that the Ellie story is dropped as if Heather being institutionalised is some sort of conclusion, by the time they return to it who's going to care. Money for old rope eh. Why cant they reduce down to five or six GOOD writers and there might be some consistency/flow to it, and get rid of some of those lame characters that have been hobbling around since it started. I really like the new character, Sash's prison buddy, there should be more characters like that on Fair City, that actually reflect real working class Dublin, or anywhere in Ireland for that matter, instead of faux tycoon's like Paul Brennan etc. Much more entertaining imo.

SNN01BBBRIGGS-380_544120a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Been in New York all week and I've been checking the forum every day, looking forward to catching up. FC really does give me a giggle. The more rediculous the better. Couldn't believe the figures in that article! 26 writers!!!!!! No wonders there no continuity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement