Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,797 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd love if Katie was found after a few weeks after being held captive with a girl called Amber who's being missing with a few years now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

coolhull wrote: »
    But it's Fair City! Are we to accept that the 26 'writers', within a few weeks, are gone from sh1te stories about Cass's Men's Shed and Carol's business expansion , to suddenly being capable of writing an abduction tale worthy of Stephen King?
    And why would the Love/Hate guy bother his ass?
    So far we've only ever seen him play cards or drinking a few pints. What would he gain by kidnapping an eighteen year old? And who would be paying him to do it?
    As far as I remember, Katie and himself have had no interaction so far, nor indeed any of her family apart from Eskimo Boy.
    No, it doesn't make any sense....
    But then of course, it is Fair City, and things rarely make sense in Carringstown anyway.

well he was sitting with Emmett in the Bistro when she was asking can she stay with him, and she was all upset, and then she said to Emmet Il sort something on so Ciaran would have known that she was going to be leaving home and was vulnerable , and if he's a pycho he doesn't need a reason to kidnapp her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Stephen Hero

The thing that makes me most angry about Fair City is the starting time.

Stop changing it to 8.30pm on a random basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

But it's Fair City! Are we to accept that the 26 'writers', within a few weeks, are gone from sh1te stories about Cass's Men's Shed and Carol's business expansion , to suddenly being capable of writing an abduction tale worthy of Stephen King?
    So far we've only ever seen him play cards or drinking a few pints. What would he gain by kidnapping an eighteen year old? And who would be paying him to do it?
    As far as I remember, Katie and himself have had no interaction so far, nor indeed any of her family apart from Eskimo Boy.
    But then of course, it is Fair City, and things rarely make sense in Carringstown anyway.

I wonder does 'Pauley' know more than he is letting on? My guess is Katie has committed suicide and that 'Pauley' found a place for her to stay perhaps after hearing Emmett mention that he turned her down and now 'Pauley''s friends find her dead and 'Pauley' and them cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I think she will just show up and it be all forgotten in a day or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think she will just show up and it be all forgotten in a day or two

Sadly I think you are right. Although it would be great to think the FC writers have some elaborately thought out resolution to this story that is weeks in the making, the past form of the writers just don't back this up and I can easily see it coming to and end when Katy slinks back after hanging out in some derelict buildings somewhere for a week and throwing her phone away out of spite.

Shame, as I really do think Stella is hiding something and if she doesn't have anything to do with this, then she should definitely stay, shes far and away one of the more interesting newcomers and her backstory could be decent. I don't know why people are suggesting its Ciaran, hes too nice and soft! The chap agreed to move in with someone who stole from him twice!! PLus hes always sipping on cups of tea, very gangster alright :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

If she was kidnapped by him where would he have her? Not at home obviously, he shares with Emmet. And works full time with Paul. Unless the reason for his mysterious arrival was something to do with Cathal Spillane! Revenge on the O Briens maybe? Fair City wouldn't give us a good story for once, would they???

I'm afraid I don't watch it enough to guess at where she is locked up. Is Emmet the brother? What kind of place do they live in? Could there be a basement? Under people's noses right on the street would be guess as everything happens within the area anyway.

I was going on the assumption that the guy was perhaps just a loopy freak, but if he is a hired gun he could well have killed her already. However, a paid killer going undercover seems a bit far fetched plus I'd guess this will all have a happy ending.

People must find Fair City entertaining otherwise it wouldn't still be on after all these years so they must give good stories at least every now and again. :)

It is not unusual for a TV series to go from being bad or dull to good, or vice versa. That abuse storyline a few years back came out of nowhere and received some praise as I recall. And soaps go from the mundane to murder all the time.

Also I never said it would be tale worthy of Stephen King (and sometimes even Stephen King isn't worthy if Stephen King :P). I simply offered a modicum of praise as how it has been done in a not so obvious way and that it wasn't in the revealed online weeks in advance like everything is these days. Now, all of this is , of course, assuming I'm right. I might not be but I believe I am.

And on that business of being "worthy of Stephen King" - how do you know it won't be? It might up dull or fall flat on it's face but it might also be very, very good. Why bash a thing before you see how it turns out?

"So far we've only ever seen him play cards or drinking a few pints. What would he gain by kidnapping an eighteen year old? And who would be paying him to do it?
    As far as I remember, Katie and himself have had no interaction so far, nor indeed any of her family apart from Eskimo Boy."

I think you just need to think about it a little?

Only plays cards - We aren't supposed to know it is him, so they aren't hammering us with the notion he is dodgy.

What does he gain by kidnapping an 18 year old girl - Really? What does any freak gain by doing such a thing? He just wants to. He is a nutjob. The list goes on.

Who is paying him - Somebody or nobody. Maybe he just did it because he could.

No interaction so far - doesn't matter.

Doesn't make sense - Actually it does. ;)

fin12 wrote: »
    well he was sitting with Emmett in the Bistro when she was asking can she stay with him, and she was all upset, and then she said to Emmet Il sort something on so Ciaran would have known that she was going to be leaving home and was vulnerable , and if he's a pycho he doesn't need a reason to kidnapp her.

There you go. ;)

The thing about Love/hate boy is the viewer nor any Carrigstown resident knows a thing about him, he's very stand offish and odd, if they don't have some big storyline for him coming up, what was the reason for adding him to the show, at the moment he's just like an extra that gets a few lines now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

fin12 wrote: »
    The thing about Love/hate boy is the viewer nor any Carrigstown resident knows a thing about him, he's very stand offish and odd, if they don't have some big storyline for him coming up, what was the reason for adding him to the show, at the moment he's just like an extra that gets a few lines now and again.

It could be true. I wonder if it would tie-in with his flirtation with Jane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't buy 'love hate's guy as some sort of hired hitman/abducter storyline. The whole point of soap is that the viewer sees a little of this even if it is supposed to be out of the blue and it would be very bad writing and not worthy of Stephen the bar man never mind Stephen King to do that!

I think it was obvious Katie was down and had nowhere to go...not even to Galway...she was looking for help but pretended she didn't need it. I think she is sleeping rough and something may happen to her because of that.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I don't buy 'love hate's guy as some sort of hired hitman/abducter storyline. The whole point of soap is that the viewer sees a little of this even if it is supposed to be out of the blue and it would be very bad writing and not worthy of Stephen the bar man never mind Stephen King to do that!

I think it was obvious Katie was down and had nowhere to go...not even to Galway...she was looking for help but pretended she didn't need it. I think she is sleeping rough and something may happen to her because of that.

I was thinking she was sleeping rough as well but the fact she hasn't touched her bank account is very strange and not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

But what's in it for Love/ Hate? First of all, he's sharing a house with Katey's brother, and even Emmet would notice if his sister was fastened up in the back bedroom.
    And nobody has given an explanation as to why L/H would abduct his house-mate's sister. I agree that his character seems to have absolutely no purpose in the soap, but if we go down that road, very few of the other characters serve any purpose either.
    Yes, I think it might make a good plot too, but surely every new development must have some sort of back story, Well maybe not in FC, but you know what I mean.
    I'm kinda hoping that fin12 and Spon Farmer are right, but for the life of me I can see no reason why a mechanic, even a weird one, would suddenly decide that kidnapping a teenage girl would make a nice change from replacing indicator bulbs.
    If you're all correct, then I too would be happy to go along with it, but there would have to some kind of explanation that makes sense.
    The fact that he's a bit odd and doesn't fit in ? But in that case it could be anyone..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

When he started in FC,they said there would be more to his character than meets the eye so maybe this is it?
    Could he be something to do with Flynn's gang/Cathal Spillane?
    I just really feel there has to be some point to him! Even by FC standards,he's a complete non-entity,maybe this is deliberate?
    Or am I expecting too much?! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just because Love/Hate was in Love/Hate, it doesn't mean he's a gangster now in Fair City. I agree there has to be more to his character alright, but i'm not so sure he has anything to do with Katy's disappearance.

I just assumed she'd turn up eventually, but the fact that there's no activity from her phone and that her bank account hasn't been touched would never really lead to anything good in real life.

Obviously, the writers can come up with a crazy explanation for those events happening and Katy still being found safe, but in real life it would be unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Anybody think that tommy has her. She threatened him and he has form for it, he knows debbie is worried and the more she is worried the closer they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Anybody think that tommy has her. She threatened him and he has form for it, he knows debbie is worried and the more she is worried the closer they get.
    But as far as I know Tommy doesn't have a place of his own. Also I don't think Stripey needs any more encouragement. She seems happy enough to make full use of Room 205 as it is, even now when her daughter is on the missing list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

But as far as I know Tommy doesn't have a place of his own. Also I don't think Stripey needs any more encouragement. She seems happy enough to make full use of Room 205 as it is, even now when her daughter is on the missing list.

Who said he doesnt :-P
    Plus theres always the basement of the hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yes it is an abduction story.

As the girl was walking away a car had just come to a stop in the alley so my first thought it was hint at a kidnapping, but that they didn't want to hammer it into the viewer. I thought perhaps the actress was leaving and that her disappearance would never be solved.

I'm not a regular viewer but when I saw the guy from Love/Hate was now in it and asking the father about her I just thought it is him and he has her locked away somewhere.

It is simple enough to figure out but not too obvious so the writers and producers should be given credit for not over doing it.

Trust me, Fair City doesn't do subtlety. They consistently make that clear to their writers and actors that any mention of the word or any acting that may be any way subtle will mean they dont get their three months holidays every three months and they will just be stuck nin Fair City limbo forever and ever and ever and ever. With the exact same scenes and plots.

No Fair City ensure everything is hammered home to viewers. If a do barks, there will be a close up of that dog barking followed by three or more characters making reference to the event. We knew Tommy and Stripey were going to have an affair the moment they started working together in the Ballantyne. The obvious is, well, obvious.

Hence why we get all these repetitive scenes of the same events/dialogue over and over and over again to, as you say, hammer it home.

There is never any twists or "wow, did not see that coming........(insert joke about a recently arrived character)

The writers bring a hammer to work, actually its a mallet to use when writing the script and then the script is copy and pasted twice to use on two further episodes. They listen to Hammer Time in the office and their meal ration token is for a hammer and cheese sandwich.

Repeat repeat repeat.

Unless they are going down a complete new route (or alley, as you will!) I doubt they will be forgetting that "hammering home" policy anytime soon.....

Maybe they will just repeat that particular scene a dozen times over next few episodes!

• Advertisement

For what it is worth though, I would imagine you are right though! I was just trying to do a bit of loose sattire! I'd say LoveHate is a disciple of Cathal and is out to terrorise The Ripeys. That would be a decent plot...............but, eh, well you know Fair City and decent plots!

Trust me, Fair City doesn't do subtlety. They consistently make that clear to their writers and actors that any mention of the word or any acting that may be any way subtle will mean they dont get their three months holidays every three months and they will just be stuck nin Fair City limbo forever and ever and ever and ever. With the exact same scenes and plots.

No Fair City ensure everything is hammered home to viewers. If a do barks, there will be a close up of that dog barking followed by three or more characters making reference to the event. We knew Tommy and Stripey were going to have an affair the moment they started working together in the Ballantyne. The obvious is, well, obvious.

Hence why we get all these repetitive scenes of the same events/dialogue over and over and over again to, as you say, hammer it home.

There is never any twists or "wow, did not see that coming........(insert joke about a recently arrived character)

The writers bring a hammer to work, actually its a mallet to use when writing the script and then the script is copy and pasted twice to use on two further episodes. They listen to Hammer Time in the office and their meal ration token is for a hammer and cheese sandwich.

Repeat repeat repeat.

Unless they are going down a complete new route (or alley, as you will!) I doubt they will be forgetting that "hammering home" policy anytime soon.....

Maybe they will just repeat that particular scene a dozen times over next few episodes!

I cant help but wonder why you even watch the show when you have nothing good to say about it at all? Why would you bother making long, detailed analyses of the plots and script when your descriptions are peppered with negative comments about how predictable the acting is, how woeful the actors are and how subtlety doesn't exist in FC. I mean, why bother wasting your time watching it when you clearly could be watching something you actually enjoy...

And I also disagree with you that FC doesn't do twists, I have seen a few plots where I was floored with the sudden turn in events and the ramifications of the characters actions. I do think FC can be bad but for me the fun is in waiting for when it (and it does sometimes) actually gets good and you start to care about what happens to the characters. From reading your posts though it seems you are pained by watching the show.

I cant help but wonder why you even watch the show when you have nothing good to say about it at all? Why would you bother making long, detailed analyses of the plots and script when your descriptions are peppered with negative comments about how predictable the acting is, how woeful the actors are and how subtlety doesn't exist in FC. I mean, why bother wasting your time watching it when you clearly could be watching something you actually enjoy...

. From reading your posts though it seems you are pained by watching the show.

Why dont you refer this judgement to a LOT of the rest of the posters who seem to take the same approach as me on the thread, , ! If you dont like my posts, block me! I think most of us watch it to have a laugh on the thread. And no, I wouldnt watch it all the time. E.G, i play soccr a few times a week but when i do watch it i like to post on the thread and yes, 95% of my posts are not complimentary as such but it makes me laugh with some of the events so so be it! Its just my sense of humour sometimes to laugh at aspects of the show that are so bad its funny!
    I have seen from your posts you actually do think a lot of the plots are well written and thats fine!

Thanks for the advice though! I may turn Ros na Run on in future!

Lets leave it there!

^ We all to an extent take the p!ss out of the show and its plots but it seems you always shoot down any ideas from others about what may or could happen and I just never understood why people do that when they could be doing something they enjoy. But hey, peace out, I'm not going to take it so serious as to block posts, it was just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

He also gave Eskimo Emmet a lift to Galway to put up posters even though the Garda are 100% sure she's not there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

If the Ram did have Katy it would make for a real story, an actual shocker. Instead of the usual obvious plot "twists". I have a theory as to way 99% of FC storylines fizzle out. There must be some beef between the 26 FC writers, one a writer comes on rota they say "I'm not finishing that f*ckers storyline, I'm starting my own" but they don't have time to finish it. Then the other writer comes back on rota, is disgruntled and decides to randomly flip flop back on to his story. IE Why the F are we months later back on to the Damo v Pete storyline? Is there no head writer to maintain any sort of consistency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If Ciaran is involved in Katy's disappearance, it would finally explain why he suddenly did an about-turn and agreed to rent a room to Emmett - remember he was supposed to be moving in to a flat outside of Carrigstown with his cousin, and made it clear to Emmett that he didn't trust him and didn't want to share a house with him, then a day or two later he decided to rent Chawlie's house and offered Emmett the chance to live with him? That seemed very odd at the time. Maybe, just maybe, we're having a bit of subtlety for a change and this was all planned?! As someone else pointed out, he was there when Katy was begging Emmett to help her out so he knew she was vulnerable. It's something to do with Cathal Spillane in my opinion, I'm just wondering if the next step will involve Ciaran finding out about Stripy's affair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

bazermc wrote: »
    Surely Katy is gone wherever Leos missus went. What has her name again , Lana??

Lana was kidnapped and killed by Terence and was dumped in the mountains. Leo then had a cliff top show-down with Terence who ended up in the Irish Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Sparkly Blonde

Well with cass looking for a new man shed I suspect whoever has Katy (if she is kidnapped) is hiding her in a shed which will be conveniently located where cass gets his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wanderer, FC is no different than the late late thread and the Ray D'Arcy thread. They exist to be slated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement