Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

With posters on here fascinated with the fact that Fair City has 26 writers (and that does seem overkill in fairness), it comes across that some people think that a certain writer will write one episode and then another writer comes along to write the next episode and that it’s all done separately. It’s as if they believe the second writer looks at where the previous episode left off and takes it away from there with their own little plot line.

Storylines are worked on and developed months in advance. They’re not made up on the spot, episode by episode, depending on who the writer is. When the credits says the episode is written by ‘so and so’, that writer is just writing the dialogue and developing a particular situation, but it’s all within the general arc of a storyline that’s been given to them.

I know I’m stating the obvious with the above, but it genuinely comes across that some posters here believe it’s written episode by episode under different writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

monkey9 wrote: »

I know I’m stating the obvious with the above, but it genuinely comes across that some posters here believe it’s written episode by episode under different writers.

I didn't interpret it like that. I interprted it as posters being deliberately obtuse as regards the writers not knowing who was writing what. All adding to the pi&s take nature of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

walshb wrote: »
    I didn't interpret it like that. I interprted it as posters being deliberately obtuse as regards the writers not knowing who was writing what. All adding to the pi&s take nature of the thread.

What I meant is that each plot will have a variance of writers. This means that characters personal will alter a lot leading to inconsistencies in both the way some characters are portrayed story to story etc. Writers will overlap with approaches to the plot and in attempt to try keep things consistent this may have opposite effect in terms of viewer quality as scenes are repeated etc. Each writer will have to have their say over the year so inconsistenies become an issue.

Iits the same with all soaps of ccourse (large writer numberss) but for whatever reason it stands out moreso in FC.

You can kind of see when a writer goes on to his break as the story reaches an ul mighty conclusion in an anticlimatic manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

With posters on here fascinated with the fact that Fair City has 26 writers (and that does seem overkill in fairness), it comes across that some people think that a certain writer will write one episode and then another writer comes along to write the next episode and that it’s all done separately. It’s as if they believe the second writer looks at where the previous episode left off and takes it away from there with their own little plot line.

Storylines are worked on and developed months in advance. They’re not made up on the spot, episode by episode, depending on who the writer is. When the credits says the episode is written by ‘so and so’, that writer is just writing the dialogue and developing a particular situation, but it’s all within the general arc of a storyline that’s been given to them.

In fairness to some of the posters from watching the program one could well believe this it is "written episode by episode under different writers"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

In fairness to some of the posters from watching the program one could well believe this it is "written episode by episode under different writers"

Yeah don't worry about it monkey6 thems just jokes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Anorak34c

I Remember the time christy died, and everyone was talking as if he had been a shopkeeper all his life, i wondered why the cast didnt point out this error in the scripts to the writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Another FC forum???? We have tge licence. Copyright/plagiarism/ how dare they.

Another forum, not boards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anorak34c wrote: »
    I Remember the time christy died, and everyone was talking as if he had been a shopkeeper all his life, i wondered why the cast didnt point out this error in the scripts to the writers.

What was the bold Christy up to before being a shop keeper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

You're man who plays Oisin isn't awful like I thought he would be. This week is the first time I actually watched him and he was pretty decent.

Any ideas or leaks on what the story is with Katie?

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    You're man who plays Oisin isn't awful like I thought he would be. This week is the first time I actually watched him and he was pretty decent.

Any ideas or leaks on what the story is with Katie?

Yeah Oisin was growing on me for a while but that whole Jane story was surreal and I turned off him again. He isnt the worst actor, and his character has potential and him and Charlotte, who is herself probably the best (or second best after Katie) young actress on the show, have a good dynamic between them.
    I think they should make him into a more cowardly and less evil version of David Platt before he met Kylie. Him and Callum need to interact. (callum his half brother that is, not the Callum who has just exited out of Gail Platts hole !!)

On another note you would wonder if the actors ever think, christ we would be better off ad libbing! They know their characters better than any of the 26 writers yet they are for the most part inconsistently portrayed due to the writing.
    Thats main reason why the acting can seem so weak.

Take Dan for example. Surely the actor is thinking. WTF am I doing with my life! My acting carreer is essentially sitting on a wheel chair on a street corner bickering with a young woman about a bloody broucher or gossiping with whoever walks by.

Or Pete, whose main role seems to be arguing with that lump Damien.

Or Sean who gets one story every couple of years which lasts three weeks and is awful before he disappears into obscurity!

Surely they say, christ, not this again. It must be groundhog day having to shoot essentially the same scenes and dialogue day after day after day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I'm sure they do Bread but the job is to do what you're told, well on Fair City anyway.

Try anything more than that and they wouldn't be long cutting you loose.

I'm sure they do Bread but the job is to do what you're told, well on Fair City anyway.

Isn't that what happened Jo?

I hear you! So instead of a decent character and a good soul of an actor like:

ByX3kEFCEAEjsZU.jpg:large

We have two teachers' pets who will do anything for that €460 per day!

Fair-City-Eps-48-Damien-twists-the-knife.jpg

Isn't that what happened Jo?

And the bould Christy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Speaking of Jo. Is that storyline dead now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,782 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

SB_Part2 wrote: »

No, the writers of her story are probably on a break!

SB_Part2 wrote: »

Seems to be. But what do they do with Dermish? Any screen time now will have to have him reference Jo and her disappearance with Binjimin. Unless they just give Dermish amnesia and he forgets all about life pre Jo's U.S. departure! Wouldn't surprise me! Sure look at Pete and the Ram. Both seem to now have amnesia. If only Pete fooking forgot that Damien existed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Is that what they've did with Katie :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

So funny in the police station when Oisin was explaining why he didn't have anything to do with Katie's disappearance and he said something like "why would I have to, I mean look at me".

The actress that plays Katie took a saabatical from Fair City to do some theatre. She is currently on stage so she probably may not be back for some time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The actress that plays Katie took a saabatical from Fair City to do some theatre. She is currently on stage so she probably may not be back for some time!

Lets hope they remember her by at least October.

Posters here judge the soap episode by episode. We know about the storylines being developed months in advance and your post has stated nothing that I think regulars here wouldn't already know or understand.

I'm an old hack, but you come across as an RTE yellowpack working on FC or hoping to work on it or a hack like me that knows how the show is made?

Do you remember Nighthawks???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Sparkly Blonde

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Posters here judge the soap episode by episode. We know about the storylines being developed months in advance and your post has stated nothing that I think regulars here wouldn't already know or understand.

I'm an old hack, but you come across as an RTE yellowpack working on FC or hoping to work on it or a hack like me that knows how the show is made?

Do you remember Nighthawks???:D

What's a hack?

What's a hack?

The opposite of that old term "Yellowpack".;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I'm lost and now gene Hackman is stuck in my head

And Dan is still a eejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

Mary from Glenroe sounds like she's looking for the ride all the time.

Ah, the Sunday morning how many cast members can you fit next to the fizzy drinks section!

Sash an Laura. Made for each other!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

"You've got to do the right thing" the neck of her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement