Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v6] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

maurv1 wrote: »
    Some gym opening that. Not a sight of any of the equipment that you'd normally see in a gym :rolleyes:

Will Don Paulioni find out that Oisin gave Charlotte 5 grand?

That's what was making me laugh. Laura was worried about not being able to attract new customers because her injury might prevent her from holding a class to show what it's all about.

All she had to do was show them round the gym, introduce them to the equipment and facilities and give the special prices jargon. What the hell would she be doing putting on a class ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Because I reckon a mere 0.00000001% of the viewing audience actually notice these things and give feedback on a public thread. Its easy to dismiss a few dozen boardsies when they are pulling in decent ratings, therefore they have no incentive to improve. Shame though as FC COULD be decent if it mixed the right script with the right actors.

Everyone in my house noticed the money error immediately. I would say most of the viewers pick up on the horrendous errors. They are so blatant. Its not like in some of the big TV shows where after a few years something is said that contradicts something that happened in the first or second season. In Fair City, Wednesday's episode contradicts Tuesday's one.

The sheer number of posts on here shows that many are picking up on the errors.

It's a real pity they don't fix things, although I do agree that if it was any good, this forum wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining.

I'm dreading the return of Nicola this week. When did she become such an annoying c***? Had a look at that christmas special there and she wasn't as bad in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Everyone in my house noticed the money error immediately. I would say most of the viewers pick up on the horrendous errors. They are so blatant. Its not like in some of the big TV shows where after a few years something is said that contradicts something that happened in the first or second season. In Fair City, Wednesday's episode contradicts Tuesday's one.

It's a real pity they don't fix things, although I do agree that if it was any good, this forum wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining.

I'm dreading the return of Nicola this week. When did she become such an annoying c***? Had a look at that christmas special there and she wasn't as bad in that.

I actually like when Nicola is around cause she really gets under Paul and Niamh's skin. It's nice to see Clar back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fair City Christmas Special 1997!
    There are characters that I really like and selection boxes used be a lot bigger. (Paul had hair and Oisin/Rachel have grown!

There's a blast from the past all right, Charlie was talking in his "jaysis wha" accent and Nathalie asking for a bottle of Mugshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

EIREDriver wrote: »

I'm not a fan of Nicola either but hey, at least she made something of herself with writing a few books and doing different roles. Did you hear that, Delores? Something different and having ambition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't know why Laura was so nervous about the opening, I think I counted maybe 8 people at most apart from the staff and not one of them even asked a question.

Sash was yapping to 3 of them for nearly a minute and not a peep out of any of them.

I'm not a fan of Nicola either but hey, at least she made something of herself with writing a few books and doing different roles. Did you hear that, Delores? Something different and having ambition!

Well if you are going to say that about Delores then you can say it about plenty others in Fair city and for that matter plenty of other actors in all the other soaps who have played the same roles for 20/30 years. I don't understand what is wrong with someone just wanting to work in the same role, if they are happy doing that. I don't think anyone would be saying Ray Meagher from Home and away has no ambition for playing Alf for 28 years.

fin12 wrote: »
    Well if you are going to say that about Delores then you can say it about plenty others in Fair city and for that matter plenty of other actors in all the other soaps who have played the same roles for 20/30 years. I don't understand what is wrong with someone just wanting to work in the same role, if they are happy doing that. I don't think anyone would be saying Ray Meagher from Home and away has no ambition for playing Alf for 28 years.

Hey now at least Ray does tours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

There's a blast from the past all right, Charlie was talking in his "jaysis wha" accent and Nathalie asking for a bottle of Mugshot.

Funny to think that the house that Dolores lived in back then is now Paul and Niamhs house - its so much bigger now.

They also had those continuity errors back then - when Lorraine's doctor boyfriend arrived it was dark outside. Then in the next scene we see Mags and Charlie walking back from morning mass and it was bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Oh god. "Claaaaaar" in that insanely annoying nasal accent. I'm actually loving Oisin in it at the moment. I hated him at first but he's growing on me.

• Advertisement

Delores isn't the only one who has rotted away in FC for years when newer, more interesting characters could have been introduced. Ditto Orla (does anyone here know the point of Orla these days? Anyone?), Niamh, Bella, Paul, Charlie and Carol.

That's what I find bizarre about this thread- people will happily slag off all the actors and storylines but don't seem to find it kind of embarrassing that an "actor" happily accepts crap storylines for decades and reduced to a walking joke. Delores and Harry used to be an interesting couple but since he left, she really should have followed suit a few years later. What has she done since? A stalker storyline and a cancer storyline that was devoid of any pay-off because everyone knows she would pull through as she has zero ambition and will be still walking up and down the streets of Carrickstown in 2020. Ohhh..will Delores live and pull through? Heres a clue: of COURSE she will! :mad:

To be called an actor you really should have more than 1 role to your name and the main reason I object to so many of the cast stagnating is it leaves little room for new characters to flourish. Look at when the Dillons and O Briens joined- whether or not you liked them, it was great to see some NEW faces that didn't have any past associated with them and they could be developed based on audience reaction. A change is as good as a rest and that's where FC has always failed. There may be a place for the long-termers as there is in any soap but when it gets to the stage that the storylines are so laughable its really time to start issuing P45s. The show would live easily without Paul, Niamh, Delores, Bella, Orla and Wayne and Carol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Funny to think that the house that Dolores lived in back then is now Paul and Niamhs house - its so much bigger now.

From what I remember when the Dillions moved in it went from Delores 3 bed house into a 4/5 bedroom with a massive kitchen/living room and a Den!

Delores isn't the only one who has rotted away in FC for years when newer, more interesting characters could have been introduced. Ditto Orla (does anyone here know the point of Orla these days? Anyone?), Niamh, Bella, Paul, Charlie and Carol.

That's what I find bizarre about this thread- people will happily slag off all the actors and storylines but don't seem to find it kind of embarrassing that an "actor" happily accepts crap storylines for decades and reduced to a walking joke. Delores and Harry used to be an interesting couple but since he left, she really should have followed suit a few years later. What has she done since? A stalker storyline and a cancer storyline that was devoid of any pay-off because everyone knows she would pull through as she has zero ambition and will be still walking up and down the streets of Carrickstown in 2020. Ohhh..will Delores live and pull through? Heres a clue: of COURSE she will! :mad:

To be called an actor you really should have more than 1 role to your name and the main reason I object to so many of the cast stagnating is it leaves little room for new characters to flourish. Look at when the Dillons and O Briens joined- whether or not you liked them, it was great to see some NEW faces that didn't have any past associated with them and they could be developed based on audience reaction. A change is as good as a rest and that's where FC has always failed. There may be a place for the long-termers as there is in any soap but when it gets to the stage that the storylines are so laughable its really time to start issuing P45s. The show would live easily without Paul, Niamh, Delores, Bella, Orla and Wayne and Carol.

No offence, but who are you to tell people how to live their lives and earn their wage? They have a regular wage coming in through working on Fair City. They're not millionaires. Why would they give that up.

You pick up on the actress who plays Dolores. She's had plenty of theatre work etc. But being an actor is basically being on the dole a lot of the time with a few jobs here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

monkey9 wrote: »
    No offence, but who are you to tell people how to live their lives and earn their wage? They have a regular wage coming in through working on Fair City. They're not millionaires. Why would they give that up.

You pick up on the actress who plays Dolores. She's had plenty of theatre work etc. But being an actor is basically being on the dole a lot of the time with a few jobs here and there.

Because she is a sh*te character and has sh*te storylines. It's not her fault apart from all the usual and mostly hilarious garbage in FC is the absolute laziness from acting to writing to production value. An absolute consistent acceptance of mediocrity. Leaving a non entity like Delores or Orla stagnating adds to that. Orla for example, junior is the Rams son but once that came out it has never been mentioned again. That could be an ongoing interesting storyline but instead she just floats around, she was involved in that absolute non story of her getting Janes manager job, what was the point of that??? I was also very surprised (not at all actually) that FC's other Sports-Billy Dean was not at his 2 best mates Gym launch?

monkey9 wrote: »

Hey they are in the public eye and hence they are open to comment and criticism. Check out every single page of this thread for evidence of that.

I maintain my point that in order to be considered a real actor, then you need to spread your wings beyond a show which is considered to be very amateur. And my point of people staying in FC beyond their sell by date is that is prevents new people/ characters from adding to the show. As I have explained in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe the actors/actresses who've been in Fair City enjoy the people they work with and their job and there happy with their lives and that's all the really counts in my opinion.
    Off topic. My father knows of a guy who did an excellent leaving cert, went to college and did medicine and became a doctor. He has the high flying job/money in his thirties and he left it all to become a carpenter because that's what he wanted to do to make him happy!

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Because she is a sh*te character and has sh*te storylines. It's not her fault apart from all the usual and mostly hilarious garbage in FC is the absolute laziness from acting to writing to production value. An absolute consistent acceptance of mediocrity. Leaving a non entity like Delores or Orla stagnating adds to that. Orla for example, junior is the Rams son but once that came out it has never been mentioned again. That could be an ongoing interesting storyline but instead she just floats around, she was involved in that absolute non story of her getting Janes manager job, what was the point of that??? I was also very surprised (not at all actually) that FC's other Sports-Billy Dean was not at his 2 best mates Gym launch?

Plenty of people continue to work in jobs entirely just for the money, have no motivation, go through the motions cause they need a wage, and if some of the actors in Fair city are like that then that's their choice, why should someone have to throw up a stable income cause some viewers are sick of looking at her. I thought this thread was about having a laugh, I don't think pinpointing out one actor and yes she is an actor, when there are several others and other soaps who it applies to, it seems to be that some posters think this is only relevant to FC. I personally thought she did a good job during her cancer storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,377 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who would go to a hotel gym with Dan in a wheelchair and Laura on crutches as the head trainers, does Dan even have any qualifications, I think Laura has maybe

Hey they are in the public eye and hence they are open to comment and criticism. Check out every single page of this thread for evidence of that.

I maintain my point that in order to be considered a real actor, then you need to spread your wings beyond a show which is considered to be very amateur. And my point of people staying in FC beyond their sell by date is that is prevents new people/ characters from adding to the show. As I have explained in depth.

It's down to the writers and producers of the show how they want to develop it. I just don't agree with the personal attacks on the actors themselves. This is their livliehood. If they want to stay there and earn a regular wage in order to pay off a mortgage and raise a family etc, what it's to do with anybody else.

We all have banter on threads like this, but there's no need to attack the actors if they are happy doing what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,377 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Oisin and Charlotte elope

• Advertisement

Plenty of people continue to work in jobs entirely just for the money, have no motivation, go through the motions cause they need a wage, and if some of the actors in Fair city are like that then that's their choice, why should someone have to throw up a stable income cause some viewers are sick of looking at her. I thought this thread was about having a laugh, I don't think pinpointing out one actor and yes she is an actor, when there are several others and other soaps who it applies to, it seems to be that some posters think this is only relevant to FC. I personally thought she did a good job during her cancer storyline.

If Delores was some nobody working in a second hand shop I wouldn't care but the fact is she's on our screens four times a week on a public station and hence open to all comments and criticism and the fact is she irritates me as she does absolutely NOTHING but walk up and down the road linking Pete and rolling her eyes. No depth no storylines nothing interesting about her she literally is the most pointless character on the show along with Orla. You say you liked the cancer storyline but be honest did you really for one second think she was going to die?
    Because if FC really wanted to portray real life she would have passed away as that's the sad reality of a lot of people these days. But nooooo- they copped out and she survived to walk another street just as anyone with more than one brain cell could have predicted the second the storyline started. It was lazy and unrealistic in my view and it retained a character that should have been sacked years ago anyway. Same with Orla. Why is her character even still living there?? She does nothing but complain about her job her house and her money. Off you go then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If Delores was some nobody working in a second hand shop I wouldn't care but the fact is she's on our screens four times a week on a public station and hence open to all comments and criticism and the fact is she irritates me as she does absolutely NOTHING but walk up and down the road linking Pete and rolling her eyes. No depth no storylines nothing interst
    She and the rest are RTE "lifers". They dont give a sh1te what we think. they get their cheque every month.

If Delores was some nobody working in a second hand shop I wouldn't care but the fact is she's on our screens four times a week on a public station and hence open to all comments and criticism and the fact is she irritates me as she does absolutely NOTHING but walk up and down the road linking Pete and rolling her eyes. No depth no storylines nothing interesting about her she literally is the most pointless character on the show along with Orla. You say you liked the cancer storyline but be honest did you really for one second think she was going to die?
    Because if FC really wanted to portray real life she would have passed away as that's the sad reality of a lot of people these days. But nooooo- they copped out and she survived to walk another street just as anyone with more than one brain cell could have predicted the second the storyline started. It was lazy and unrealistic in my view and it retained a character that should have been sacked years ago anyway. Same with Orla. Why is her character even still living there?? She does nothing but complain about her job her house and her money. Off you go then!

Well she is hardly on our screens four days a week, she gets very little scenes and she gets her 3 months off like the rest of the cast so I don't see how she can annoy you that much. Well there is a character in Emmerdale doing a cancer storyline at the moment and I know he's not going to die because I don't think he will be leaving the soap anytime soon because he like plenty others like having a stable wage coming in and have families to support. I actually think Delores has a large family in real life. Sally in Corrie had cancer don't think anyone was expecting her to die either, this is the reality of soap actors. They play the same role for years what the hell is wrong with that?

And plenty of soap actors that do leave the majority seem to prefer to leave the soap in a way that leaves the door open for them to return again and a lot do return to their role again.

Well she is hardly on our screens four days a week, she gets very little scenes and she gets her 3 months off like the rest of the cast so I don't see how she can annoy you that much. Well there is a character in Emmerdale doing a cancer storyline at the moment and I know he's not going to die because I don't think he will be leaving the soap anytime soon because he like plenty others like having a stable wage coming in and have families to support. I actually think Delores has a large family in real life. Sally in Corrie had cancer don't think anyone was expecting her to die either, this is the reality of soap actors. They play the same role for years what the hell is wrong with that?

Because when the character turns from being an interesting and fresh character with dynamic storyline to a pathetic parody of themselves walking up and down a street then it's BORING and painful to watch and any scenes with that character in it is going to annoy you. Try to separate the person from the character. I don't even know the actress real name who plays Delores and I don't care it's irrelevant.
    All that matters is when you watch a show and you see a character that has served their purpose and the only storylines they get are either giving out non stop like Orla or just rolling their eyes like Delires then of course you are going to be annoyed by them hence the rant and I make a very good point that if they were gone it leaves room for NEW people with storylines that ARENT predictable and that you can't work out how they will progress. We all knew she was never going to die from cancer we all knew Niamh and Paul weren't going to be shot last year. No tension no suspense. And that is a big problem when it applies to more than one character.

Because when the character turns from being an interesting and fresh character with dynamic storyline to a pathetic parody of themselves walking up and down a street then it's BORING and painful to watch and any scenes with that character in it is going to annoy you. Try to separate the person from the character. I don't even know the actress real name who plays Delores and I don't care it's irrelevant.
    All that matters is when you watch a show and you see a character that has served their purpose and the only storylines they get are either giving out non stop like Orla or just rolling their eyes like Delires then of course you are going to be annoyed by them hence the rant and I make a very good point that if they were gone it leaves room for NEW people with storylines that ARENT predictable and that you can't work out how they will progress. We all knew she was never going to die from cancer we all knew Niamh and Paul weren't going to be shot last year. No tension no suspense. And that is a big problem when it applies to more than one character.

But that applies to all the other soaps, why do you keep ignoring that point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re the cancer thing, survival rates are higher than ever. Treatments are more effective than ever. It's very realistic to see someone overcome it. Was it an amazing, inspiring storyline? No. Would it have been improved by killing off the character? No. But for me, to see a storyline that dealt with diagnosis, treatment, partner and family reactions, feelings about work, hair loss, getting the all clear, the aftermath... It might not have been done very well, but I thought the message was positive (cancer is crap and hard to cope with but life goes on around the sufferer and it's not always fatal). I have a family member of a similar age who survived cancer too, and I remember her saying at the time that the portrayal was not half bad for a soap, and that it was nice to see a survival storyline.
    I think some of the 'critique' of the actors today has been unnecessarily harsh and downright nasty. Insult the storyline and the characters but calling the actors lazy and blaming them for not having control of the script?! Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Jeez wanderer you really need to not invest so much thought into these things. I give out about such things as charlie's Jekyll hyde accent but that's really a continuity thing. But you're talking about an actor as if shes personally insulting u for picking up her payslip once a whatever. Blame the writers..... I'm sure she d happily accept meatier storylines but if shes guaranteed a regular wage for phoning in her role well that's her prerogative really and not unlike lots of ppl in any given job.
    It doesn't hinder YOUR life like.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Just after watching Sundays episode of FC. I am starting to enjoy the scenes of Damien and Pete, in a schadenfreude kind of way.
    :)

There needs to be characters within a soap who gives that longevity, that continuity towards a programme like this to make it real. Believe it or not, people live on streets their whole lives. They really are there in the background.

Your criticism is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

I enjoyed that synopsis,great to see again some of the fine actors who have left us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement