Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apply for driving test while on provisional licence?

• 31-03-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just about to get my provisional license. I realized that by the time the six months before I can apply for a full license have passed, it will be October - one month after I start back in college. I saw that to apply for the full license driving test, there is an average 10 week waiting period, which will make it not possible for me to drive alone until around January 2017.

My question is, am I able to apply for the driving test before the six months are up, while I have my provisional license? So if I have held my provisional for say 4 months, can I apply for the driving test at that time, and then by the time the test comes around, I'll have done the 6 months and will be eligible to sit the test?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

And by "provisional license, I do mean "learner's permit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yes. You have to hold your provisional for six months before you can sit your test according to the RSA website. They say "sit" repeatedly and they do not say "apply for". http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

Speedwell wrote: »
    Yes. You have to hold your provisional for six months before you can sit your test according to the RSA website. They say "sit" repeatedly and they do not say "apply for". http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/

That's strange you mentioned that specific thing, because I actually asked the question because I saw that the first line in the link you gave it says "How long you need to hold a learner permit before you can apply for a test", note the word "apply". It's just under "Six Month Rule" at the top. But everywhere else on the page it says sit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

That's strange you mentioned that specific thing, because I actually asked the question because I saw that the first line in the link you gave it says "How long you need to hold a learner permit before you can apply for a test", note the word "apply". It's just under "Six Month Rule" at the top. But everywhere else on the page it says sit...

I know, it's strange. But they also tell you in so many words that if you show up for the test and are found to be ineligible, then you can't sit the test. I can't read this in any way but "if you show up with a provisional license under six months old". My driving instructor also told me it was "you have to hold the provisional for six months before you can take the full driving test".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You can apply. When you receive your test date, simply change it to one after the six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

you can apply but you won't be given a date until your 6 months is up

You can apply, but you won't be given a date until your 6 months is up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Apply. State you're not available for test until the date your 6 months is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

aon1998 wrote: »
    You can apply, but you won't be given a date until your 6 months is up though.

I know of at least one person who was given a date in spite of not having their license for 6 months, and worse he made the mistake of turning up with the assumption that he wouldn't have gotten a date if he wasn't eligible.

OP, by all means apply, but as mentioned already, explicitly state the date before which you won't be eligible to sit a test, and if you get one before that date anyway, contact them to defer it, don't just assume your eligibility will be taken into account in allocating a date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

aon1998 wrote: »
    you can apply but you won't be given a date until your 6 months is up

Still could be given one, simple to change it though.
    Apply. State you're not available for test until the date your 6 months is up

From memory, probably best to state a date, rather than to say not available.

• Advertisement

when I applied I was worried that I'd get a date before the 6 months were up so I emailed them and this is what they said
    I am contacting you in relation to your email you sent on 18/11/2015 regarding your driving test application. As you are a first time learner permit holder your application automatically is placed on hold until:
    (1) You have held your learner permit 6 months
    (2) We have received completion of your EDT lessons from you driving instructor.
    Once we have received confirmation of completion of these your application will come off hold and we will issue you with a driving test date. You will receive 4 week notice prior to you test appointment. You have requested to be contacted by email.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

they wont give you a test date until all the 12 lessons are done. You can get a cancellation appointment within a week , you just have to call them

Advertisement