Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games similar to Dark Souls and Bloodborne

Options
  • 31-03-2016 6:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I absolutely loved Dark Souls and BloodBlorne, I have gotten to the last boss on Dark Souls and completed Bloodborne. I couldnt really get into Demon souls or Dark Souls 2 because Demon souls looks dated in comparison and Dark Souls is too hard plus I dont like the dull look for Dark souls 2. Is there anything else similar to these games or should I perservere with one of them until DS3 comes out Monday week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Off the top of my head, lords of the fallen, salt and sanctuary.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm near the end of Lords of the Fallen now and enjoying it a fair bit, it's definitely Souls-lite but it's serving as a nice warm up to DS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ni-Oh and Necropolis are coming out soon

Demons Souls is really really good, I think its worth looking past the graphics.

Dark Souls and Blood borne have loads of replay ability with different builds if that's any good. The DLC for Dark Souls is unreal if you don't have it.

If you're stuck on Gwyn lern2parry

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be very similar

Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be very similar

It's probably got more in common with Dragon Age games, but it is a very good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Some suggestions here:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be very similar more fun

FTFY

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    FTFY

What's the f stand for?

Dragons Dogma isn't really similar, its pretty damn fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

FTFY = Fixed That For You

and not **** That, **** you as some people think :D

Ah yeah, fyp is all I'm used to.

Big split over Lords of the Fallen so look into it before buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dark souls 2 is great, i prefer it to Dark souls.. IMO its a big improvement and not many would agree with me as i guess they enjoy running through zones alot after dying, but give it a whirl. I'm sure you will get enjoyment out of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

penev10 wrote: »
    Some suggestions here:

It's amazing how a lot of the games I'm looking forward to are Souls-like, Ni-Oh, Eitr, Death's Gambit. We've really seen a new subgenre come into it's own in the last couple of years and it's really interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Salt and sanctuary, despite being 2d, is much closer to DS than Lords of the fallen or Dragons Dogma. It's a bloody tough but addictive love letter to the DS series and I'm loving it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

nix wrote: »
    Dark souls 2 is great, i prefer it to Dark souls.. IMO its a big improvement and not many would agree with me as i guess they enjoy running through zones alot after dying, but give it a whirl. I'm sure you will get enjoyment out of it :)

No way is DS2 better than DS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No way is DS2 better than DS

There's lot's DS II did better than DS and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

It's probably got more in common with Dragon Age games, but it is a very good game.

Found it very different from the Dragon Age games.

Dogma is more action oriented and based around reactions in combat when it comes to gameplay.

All it has in common with Dragon Age is dragons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's lot's DS II did better than DS and vice versa.

I found Dark Souls 2 was a massive improvement in mechanics and the additional playstyles gave the player a lot more choice but counter to that the level design and boss design wasn't up to Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1 level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

So for complete shame I own both Dark Souls 1 and Bloodbourne but haven't played either yet.

Which do you guys recommend me playing first?

Think I'm going to commit to playing and finishing DS 1, 2 and 3 and Bloodbourne. This may take a while. :D

So for complete shame I own both Dark Souls 1 and Bloodbourne but haven't played either yet.

Which do you guys recommend me playing first?

Think I'm going to commit to playing and finishing DS 1, 2 and 3 and Bloodbourne. This may take a while. :D

Start with Dark Souls I'd say, its easier to go from Dark Souls to Bloodborne than the other way round.

Starting with BB will allow you to take advantage of the active community though, which Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 don't really have.

Start with whatever looks more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

DS1 was a lot more active last year than DS2 or DeS (You really need to add Demons Souls to your list too!)

• Advertisement

So, currently playing Hyper Light Drifter, and there's a lot of comparisons with Dark Souls going around. I wouldn't quite compare it to DS myself, but I guess I can see where people are coming from, so I think it might be of interest to some folks here. Either way, it's well recommended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Starting with BB will allow you to take advantage of the active community though, which Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 don't really have.

Bloodbourne is pretty dead. The awful framerate issues in multiplayer have kind of killed off any PvP community and the rewards for co-op aren't really worth it so it's hard to get help. On PC Darks Souls 1 and 2 are still quite active.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Links234 wrote: »
    So, currently playing Hyper Light Drifter, and there's a lot of comparisons with Dark Souls going around. I wouldn't quite compare it to DS myself, but I guess I can see where people are coming from, so I think it might be of interest to some folks here. Either way, it's well recommended.

I think Hyper Light takes inspiration from certain aspects of Dark Souls, such as the 'fragile' healing windows. Although thankfully it's still very much its own thing, and far from the more overt influences you see elsewhere.

I do feel they're both incredible examples of minimalist but rich world-building and maintaining a dark, oppressive atmosphere through visuals and music (HLD is extraordinary in those regards). However, that puts them in a fairly prestigious family of games that have approached story and atmosphere that way, with the likes of Super Metroid and Shadow of the Collossus - several of which, of course, well predate either DS or HLD!

So, one that's popped up on my radar thanks to Super Bunnyhop, is Shrouded in Sanity. That's one I think I'll be snapping up soon, it looks terrific.

I also was greatly enamoured with Salt & Sanctuary last month, which I really must go back to, it's a spectacularly good game.

I'm also astonished at how many of these Soulslikes are seriously good games, S&S and the aforementioned Hyper Light Drifter are easily two of the best games of the year for me. I'm sure there's be more blatant Souls clones that will drop in quality and offer nothing of their own, but for now I'm seriously enjoying this little trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

In relation to Demon's Souls looking dated.. well it's not gonna get any younger so now is the time to play it.

I finished DS3 recently and now I'm on Bloodborne. DeS is next because I want beat to all of these games.

I went ahead and played the first section this morning and beat the opening boss. It's certainly dated looking, particularly the menus, but I felt right at home.

The art direction, level design and that unmistakable feeling are all present and correct.

Advertisement