Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 | Finale | Last Day On Earth [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Now Jeffrey Dean Morgan has said they're going to show it all in graphic detail. Who knows what the hell is going on anymore!

Some interesting quotes in this piece actually. From the little we saw of him I think he looks very promising.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/features/the-walking-dead-interview-jeffrey-dean-morgan-negan-season-7-spoilers-1201744987/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

gazzer wrote: »
    The ending reminded me of of the cliffhangers from the 80's in Dallas and Dynasty where they would have a number of characters be in mortal danger but you wouldnt know who was dead until the show came back for the next season and contracts had been signed etc.

Season 7: Rick wakes up in the shower and it was all a dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I really enjoyed it. Seem to be a minority here! I thought at the end when they were surrounded by Negans group it was cool as other season finales they have been surrounded by walkers and this seemed more ominous to me. Not bothered if Glenn gets it. If it's Darryl though, I will have serious issue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

smash wrote: »
    Season 7: Rick wakes up in the shower and it was all a dream!

I cannot believe anyone hasnt made that joke before...

:D;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I was really looking forward to the finale. I've mostly enjoyed this season, and am a JDM fan so couldn't wait to see him bring Negan to life.

The episode was too long, they could have cut out some of the driving and boring natter between Rick and Negan's lieutenant. Rick once again proved he is a rubbish leader, making all the wrong calls. They should have tried to take on the first group of Saviors blocking the road - there were only three cars and a few guys at that stage, and Rick's group were fully fit (bar Maggie) and armed. Rick never looked as helpless as he did in the last scene, so kudos to Andrew Lincoln for that.

I hate what they've done to Carol's character this season. However, Morgan redeemed himself in those scenes and the horse was a cool callback to the pilot.

Bar the ending, the last scene was done quite well. The eerie whistling of the group surrounding Rick's crew was great, and I loved Negan's introduction. JDM played the part exactly as I imagined it after reading the comics. After seeing Dean Ambrose's barbed baseball bat in Wrestlemania, Lucille could have been even more menacing!

That ending made me want to smash something. After last week's blood on the lens cop-out, I can't believe they pulled that crap again. I wanted to see brain and skull and reactions by the other characters! We didn't need a cliffhanger. I bet the identity of the character at the end of the bat will be spoiled by the time the new season starts, as some muppet will tweet about which actor hasn't been turning up for filming during the summer.

I think it's Eugene as he gave Rick the bullet recipe, and he had that bromance scene with Abraham. Then again, Abraham told Sasha he wouldn't mind making some ginger babies with her, so it could be him.

Sorry for the rant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Oh they ****ed it up. ****ed it up big time. There are only so many times you get away with the whole "who died" thing. One too far for me. I never thought Glenn was dead, or Daryl, but that episode pissed me off so much. Far better experience for us viewers to see who died at the end and be left to wonder what happens after. I don't care who is dead now. I really don't. Only plus points from the episode were Andrew Lincolns acting and the man who played Negan. Not familiar with the comics at all so not sure how that played out. Not sure if I will bother with season 7. The anger over that epsiode is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If people paid attention to the cutaway scenes to the POV in the dark over the course of the episode and the one when the four captives were introduced at the end it's obvious it's Glenn who the storyline is set up for.

https://imgur.com/a/Bz2e6#B7TWKoU

If people paid attention to the cutaway scenes to the POV in the dark over the course of the episode and the one when the four captives were introduced at the end it's obvious it's Glenn who the storyline is set up for.

https://imgur.com/a/Bz2e6#B7TWKoU

no its not as when the scene was written the writers/crew/cameramen/noone knew who the victim was going to be!

It could be used and Glenn would have been the most appropriate victim but you can't base anything on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Bit late to the party here, but anyhoo.

Quite apart from anything else that happened, I think they did Eugene's character a disservice by not filming at least one, short scene of him driving the RV and coming upon another impassable roadblock flanked by Saviours. He doesn't even need to interact with them - just a gradual expression of recognition across his face that the group are well and truly bunched. By having his character built up like that in those scenes with Rick and Abe, only for d'oh! - they caught him! in the next scene, it was like the writers built him up, only to smack him down to comic relief status again during such a pivotal episode. Unless of course we see flashbacks or something in S7. Maybe he took out a crowd of them before he got caught :D But how it went down on screen didn't sit well with me.

Alexandria - When Gabriel asked Rick if he was comfortable leaving him in charge of defence, did anybody think by Rick's reaction (the little laugh) that he knew he simply didn't have any other choice?

Carol and Morgan - this felt a bit shoehorned in and tbh could have been left until the next season, I thought. I know we got a brief introduction to some new good (??) guys, but again, it could have waited until maybe S7E2, with E1 focusing on the obvious elephant in the room/clearing.

I did like how they built the suspense with all the roadblocks. It dawned on Rick that Negan's group knew exactly which routes they would take, that they had the numbers to stop them at every turn, and the increasing brutality of the blockages did its job in unnerving him almost completely.

One thing I did find good about the Big Scene in the clearing was the fact that Rick was completely emasculated in front of his group, including his son - not that he deserved it, but I think it needed to happen to move his character on. This is going to change him, all of them in fact. Actually, of all of them, I think he looked the most terrified, because he knew that this was all on him. He brought them here. He knew now that he wasn't Top Dog, not by a long shot, that there was no way out of this one, and he also knew that Negan was piiiiiiiiiiiiiissed at him for killing all his men. I thought the Saviours whistling at the group as they ran into the clearing was a very stylised comic book-type moment also, and very effective. They finally knew the depth of the sh!t they were in.

As for who got Lucilled, I won't speculate but I do think it was a silly move to leave it as a cliffhanger. There is no way in Hades that someone (either from the set, someone who knows someone from the set, or someone who sneaked some photos over a fence or something) won't spoiler who got killed by posting stuff on the internet, and unless you avoid anything remotely TWD related until October you're bound to hear whispers, thus negating the whole impact. It worked for Who Shot JR, but they didn't have the Internet and a camera on every phone back then :) I think Aaron might have been there as a bit of a red herring, he is definitely a secondary character who's death wouldn't impact the group much, and everyone knows that, but of course the writers are second guessing us second guessing them, so who actually knows. I won't work myself up over it.

But as a whole, I enjoyed it. The group haven't been in this much genuine peril since Terminus, and Rick was at the top of his game then and very much determined to escape, unlike last night's episode when he was completely blindsided. The realisation by the audience that this group meant business and had the means to carry out said business increased the tension we felt for our heroes. I thought JDM was very good as Negan (although Henry Rollins would have been great too!) and look forward to seeing how this whole story arc develops.

I think it was all an elaborate long term plan by Enid.........

All those wood visits...bumps into Saviours..
    Integrates herself into Alexandria
    Steals Glens condoms
    Maggie gets pregnant
    Gives Maggie poisoned pickles last episode
    Maggie keels over
    Roadtrip to Doom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It doesn't matter how graphic it is or who gets the bat, for me that scene has now lost all of its impact. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

apart from the second tease of a death of a particular character I think the storyline with the group having got in over it head is a good one (havn't read all the negan comic arc) if they have to become indentured servants for negan for a while I think thats a good storyline...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I enjoyed the gradual build-up and the tenseness once Negan appeared was superb. My heart was in my mouth and JDM is a tremendous choice for the role if what we've seen so far is a fair representation.

I'm undecided on the end... I guess that I *WANT* to know who died and I do agree that the entire scene played out and ending with a brutal beating would be best. However, it's a TV show and cliffhangers are not even common, but are expected.

My own gut feeling is, it's Abraham but I can easily see it being Glenn either as his becoming a dad soon and then being battered to death (probably causing Maggie to lose the baby) will result in some serious hate for Negan.

The point is it was not a cliff hanger moment. Surely someone in the production team, even a bloody camera man, even one of the couple of hundred saviours surrounding the scene would have spoke up and said......eh, this is a bad idea! Surely Robert Kirkmann would have wanted to show the whole scene conveyed in all its (toned down somewhat) glorious gorey comic book state.
    Its shocking why they didnt gauge the outrage this would cause!

It should have ended with screams slowly being muted to an emotional background sounddtracking of slow motioned screenplay of the distraught comrades of the victim and then a shot of Neagan walking off with a grin towards the camera with his bat over his shoulder and the group distraught behind him. And slowly panning in to the look of resignation/shock on Ricks face

Would have been a great end to the season and had everything from shock value, to gore to extreme emotion to excitement and anticipation to what happens next.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/05/the-walking-deads-norman-reedus-on-cliffhanger-i-know-what-happe/

Norman Reedus appeared on the Today Show talking about the finale. Perhaps as damage control for the fan reaction?

Its pure bull! The writers have said the cast werent told, the cast have said they werent told, now to gain some credibility they are putting it down as some masterplan and they all knew all along!!

They must really consider the fanbase as naive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/05/the-walking-deads-norman-reedus-on-cliffhanger-i-know-what-happe/

Norman Reedus appeared on the Today Show talking about the finale. Perhaps as damage control for the fan reaction?

could we not have seen that change of power even more with the kill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

I'm happy I havnt read the comics yet because I this this episode would have really let me down haha. Saying that though i think it could have been better, it wasnt the best episode of the season imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Just caught up on it last night. I thought it was going along really good, the tension was getting raised slowly, an impending sense of dread. But then it transpired only one person was going to face the chop, which is sort of par for the course, so all the tension left the room, and the last ten minutes felt a bit dragged out once he told them all what was going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

could we not have seen that change of power even more with the kill?

No, if you accept that that's the reason, then they were right not to show who died. The thing that makes rick powerless is that, ( as well as being overpowered totally numbers and strategy wise,) he's now waiting for one of his friends or even his son to be killed brutally and there's nothing he can do. If they showed who died and the aftermath well that's when rick and others start dealing with new situation and the stories moved on. The waiting for something awful is always the worst.. Once it happens then you start dealing with it.

Tho I'd have liked to see who died!! Am assuming its Glen, partly cos of Rick's saying to Maggie, how everything will be alright, and its not over etc... Really hope its not Abraham.

Overall I enjoyed episode, though thought the carol and Morgan scenes went on a bit, esp having watched it again. Thought tension was ratcheted up v well. God knows rick is a ****e leader tho given that by second or third roadblock surely you'd have stopped to realise ur opponents were way stronger than u thought and you'd maybe try and get back to Alexandria..tho maybe it was too late anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

Cosidering he said "hes taking it like a champ!" it "probably".... not Michonne!!

When did he say that? I missed that...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

After the first hit, when the tacky blood starts running down the screen

I don't think actually said "he" though? Just "taking it like a champ". Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

Personally I would have preferred if Negan had made Rick chose who was gonna take the beating.

That's EXACTLY what I thought was going to happen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

maximoose wrote: »
    After the first hit, when the tacky blood starts running down the screen

At this point you can hear a groan from the victim and it's definitely a male character.

sabhail wrote: »
    No, if you accept that that's the reason, then they were right not to show who died. The thing that makes rick powerless is that, ( as well as being overpowered totally numbers and strategy wise,) he's now waiting for one of his friends or even his son to be killed brutally and there's nothing he can do. If they showed who died and the aftermath well that's when rick and others start dealing with new situation and the stories moved on. The waiting for something awful is always the worst.. Once it happens then you start dealing with it.

Tho I'd have liked to see who died!! Am assuming its Glen, partly cos of Rick's saying to Maggie, how everything will be alright, and its not over etc... Really hope its not Abraham.

Overall I enjoyed episode, though thought the carol and Morgan scenes went on a bit, esp having watched it again. Thought tension was ratcheted up v well. God knows rick is a ****e leader tho given that by second or third roadblock surely you'd have stopped to realise ur opponents were way stronger than u thought and you'd maybe try and get back to Alexandria..tho maybe it was too late anyway.

Overpowered strategy wise? Numbers wise? So why did Jesus/Hilltop fail to mention there were in fact many hundreds of saviors? As for strategey - well maybe given the fact most of your best soldiers were already missing it was not a great idea to take the rest of your best warriors with you to bring Maggie on a trip to Hilltop, thus facilitating the massively unbelievable set up at the end. And all for what? So that everyone would be lined up and we wouldn't know who got popped. Why did they all need to be there? Would it have been any less devastating/point driving to have some of them come back and say "yeah, Negan murdered X with a baseball bat covered in barbed wire?". Total nonsense (the show, not your post) which in a world/show based on varying degrees of such is really saying someting.

I really don't care who it was to be honest, they've played the audience off as mugs for the sake of keeping us talking all summer. I mean really, would fewer people have tuned in next Season if we had seen it was Glenn, Daryll, whoever?? I'm glad the showrunners are getting cruicified for this. You live by the sword ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

im fairly sure hilltop people did not know how big negans army was, as they said they only seen them in groups of 20 or so in some of the episodes. But yes anyway ****ty ending it gets more annoying each season because its a great show it's just always screwed over by some crap writing or cheap amateurish cliff hanger i would love to know what the actors really think of the ****ty directions they just veer of into. I feel bad for some of the actors because they are the only reason the show is able to keep going despite its massive flaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

unreg999 wrote: »
    That's EXACTLY what I thought was going to happen!!
    He would have just chosen himself.. Plenty of right hand people to take his place, Maggie, Glenn, Mischone, Daryll or Abe.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The point is it was not a cliff hanger moment. Surely someone in the production team, even a bloody camera man, even one of the couple of hundred saviours surrounding the scene would have spoke up and said......eh, this is a bad idea! Surely Robert Kirkmann would have wanted to show the whole scene conveyed in all its (toned down somewhat) glorious gorey comic book state.
    Its shocking why they didnt gauge the outrage this would cause!

It should have ended with screams slowly being muted to an emotional background sounddtracking of slow motioned screenplay of the distraught comrades of the victim and then a shot of Neagan walking off with a grin towards the camera with his bat over his shoulder and the group distraught behind him. And slowly panning in to the look of resignation/shock on Ricks face

Would have been a great end to the season and had everything from shock value, to gore to extreme emotion to excitement and anticipation to what happens next.

Yeah a good cliffhanger should leave the audience wondering "What's going to happen next?" not "What's going on?". The writers might, might have gotten away with it if the rest of the episode wasn't so boring. For me this episode has caused me to re-evaluate whether I continue watching - do the good parts still outweigh the frustrating bits like this mystery death stunt? I'm not so sure any more.

• Advertisement

Surely Robert Kirkmann would have wanted to show the whole scene conveyed in all its (toned down somewhat) glorious gorey comic book state.

Kirkman isn't an Executive Producer/Showrunner so really he has no say in how they decide to do the show. He doesn't have any creative control. Basically he's there to do Talking Dead and promo appearances so you will never hear any creative input from him on the show's direction. Point being me may completely disagree with what they do on the show but you ain't ever gonna hear him saying it in public cos he knows who writes his checks.

Advertisement