Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cleaning and lubing chain

• 31-03-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hey guys how do ye go about cleaning and lubing up your chains ? heard a few different tips but just wanna find out what ye all do :D

Also is chain wax or chain lube better ? :)

Comments

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hey guys how do ye go about cleaning and lubing up your chains ? heard a few different tips but just wanna find out what ye all do :D

Also is chain wax or chain lube better ? :)

Wax would be for worse weather and oil for better, I use WD 40 wax but either will do fine.

Clean the chain with a toothbrush and diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Wax would be for worse weather and oil for better, I use WD 40 wax but either will do fine.

Clean the chain with a toothbrush and diesel.

cheers mate heard kerosene (diesel same thing ) is good cleaner , picked up some WD40 chain wax and lube last week in Aldi might give it a go tomorrow :) messy job alright

pudzey101 wrote: »
    cheers mate heard kerosene (diesel same thing ) is good cleaner , picked up some WD40 chain wax and lube last week in Aldi might give it a go tomorrow :) messy job alright

Yeah kerosine and diesel are pretty much identical, diesel just easier to get.
    Petrol isn't recommended as it can perish the o rings in the chain.

Took me about half an hour to give a seriously destroyed chain a good cleaning with the toothbrush. Make sure to cover the back wheel and floor in a cloth and when you spray the WD 40 wax its good in that it comes out very precisely but I wouldn't spray it like they recommend.

They suggest just spraying the length of chain, I sprayed it as it goes around the rear sprocket, its a lot less messy. If you don't have the wheel covered it will go all over it and your tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Yeah kerosine and diesel are pretty much identical, diesel just easier to get.
    Petrol isn't recommended as it can perish the o rings in the chain.

Took me about half an hour to give a seriously destroyed chain a good cleaning with the toothbrush. Make sure to cover the back wheel and floor in a cloth and when you spray the WD 40 wax its good in that it comes out very precisely but I wouldn't spray it like they recommend.

They suggest just spraying the length of chain, I sprayed it as it goes around the rear sprocket, its a lot less messy. If you don't have the wheel covered it will go all over it and your tyre.

cheers mate i woudnt care if it took me 5 hours to clean once its right haha :) yeah i get u take it handy with it :) il give it a go tomorrow and try get some before and after pics :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Some diesel,a rag,a toothbrush and some cheap gloves from Aldi or disposable gloves from Dealz.
    Bit of music on in the background,cuppa tea made,plonk your bottom on the ground and get cleaning.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's something I really really need to do, and soon. I just get lazy. The chain is well lubed (Scottoiler), but seems to be dirty/rusty on the outsides.

I guess I need to do a better cleaning job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

You know the Aldi and Lidl leaflets you get in the shop or the newspaper? I use those to protect the wheel as I lube the chain. I just hold it behind the chain and put a sheet on the ground too. Less mess.

By the way, a cheaper alternative is to use EP90 Gear Oil. You can brush it on with a toothbrush. Doesn't stick as well as chain lube but does a very good job when it is on. The chain stays cleaner with it too because it doesn't stick as long which is good because dirt is a major cause of chain wear (think of it like a grinding paste). Check your workshop manual, it may well recommend EP90 for the chain, mine does!

That being said, I use Rock Oil Chain Lube more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

I do wipe the chain with dump cloth and bit of kero from time but never soak it in cleaning solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Allways lube your chain when its warm and expanded.
    Give the chain a spray/lube after you've been out for a spin.
    Chain and metal will soak up more that way,and chain will be better lubed this way.

Motul Factoryline is a good lube,more or less no fling from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Easiest way might be to pull out the chain off and leave it soaking in Kerosine/Diesel. Bit of work to take it off on some bikes but you might save time scrubbing the thing by hand. Unless leaving it submerged would damage the O/X rings? Could somebody clarify that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If its an endless chain thats riveted it might be a lot of trouble to remove.
    I wouldn't soak it in diesel as it could leak past the seals and wash the grease out.
    Scrub it off with a chain brush.
    Don't use the spray cleaners though just dip it in kero/diesel and then dry off afterwards.
    Whatever you do don't attempt to dry the chain with a rag by spinning the wheel and holding the chain engine on or off. Your fingers will be rapidly and painfully removed from your hand if they get caught between the sprocket and the chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Is there much difference between using Kerosene and Diesel lads.....?

My Chain is well lubed but its gets very brown on outside very quickly and looks like its 1000 yrs old....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

On to a chain drive bike after a few years of driveshafts, its a nightmare to be honest. Live in Tenerife so rain isn't an issue but sand rips any lubricant straight off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

My Chain is well lubed but its gets very brown on outside very quickly and looks like its 1000 yrs old....lol
    Rust or rusty lube?
    I wouldn't worry if its not affecting the chains flexibility.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

There is basically no difference for the purpose of cleaning a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

I keep cleaning with cloth only to minimum but chain is lubricated as it should and get enough mileage out. replaced DID chain today on my bike and even leaflet says to not feck around with the brush(on o-ring , x-ring) and I would imagine toothbrush is probably the worst as you have potential to damage the seals.

doesn't really matter on standard chain

Advertisement