Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combination feeding

Options
  • 31-03-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm not sure if this should have gone into the breastfeeding thread or not...
    I am breastfeeding my 9 week old and it's all going really well. He is a food monster though and I don't seem to be able to express enough to keep him happy if I leave him. I am thinking of occassionally leaving formula if I haven't managed to express enough. Is this a bad idea? If I'm to introduce it should the once off like that cause him any upset?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lauratkd wrote: »
    Hi
    I am breastfeeding my 9 week old and it's all going really well. He is a food monster though and I don't seem to be able to express enough to keep him happy if I leave him. I am thinking of occassionally leaving formula if I haven't managed to express enough. Is this a bad idea? If I'm to introduce it should the once off like that cause him any upset?

How long are you leaving him for? On average a baby would consume 1oz to 1.5oz per hour. How you looked up paced bottle feeding? Might cut down a bit- sometimes when breastfed babies drink from bottles, the milk comes out a lot easier, so baby might be inclined to just sit back and let the milk flow in, but they end up drinking more than usual as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I combination fed both of mine for six months (exclusive for 8 weeks). There was no issue with mine changing from one to the other. It also allowed by husband feed them and I got sleep. I also expressed for 12 weeks while bf too.

You gotta do what makes you feel comfortable and happy. Happy mammy happy baby in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hi OP, yes it is a bad idea to introduce formula. If you introduce it, then your body will be sent a signal that milk is not required for that feed and so your body will stop producing at that time. You don't need to introduce formula and introducing it will introduce risks. How long do you plan on leaving baby for? Look at the kellymom website for how much expressed milk your baby would need per hour and the risks of introducing formula. Your baby is still very young so I would keep them close and trying not to be away for too long.

Also, your body will produce enough for your baby. Just feed on demand. If baby starts feeding non stop, it is because of a growth spurt and they are working on increasing your supply. So many mothers think (incorrectly) that their body isn't producing enough when in reality it is, just baby is going through a growth spurt. All breastfed babies are boob monsters, it's normal - they feed often as breastmilk is easily digested, unlike formula which is harder to digest. Also, expressing is no indication of supply - babies are far more efficient at getting milk from the breast, unlike a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

lauratkd wrote: »
    Hi

It depends on what you want to achieve and what your individual feeding goal is. As Tinkerbell says, if you feed less your body makes less, but if you're looking for a way to take a break from the constant feeding then combination feeding might be for you.

I'd recommend setting up a clear routine if that's the road you want to go down so you're still able to express or breastfeed the amount you want. If you give formula it at different times each day you risk messing with your supply.

With my personal experience of combination feeding, I had to stop breastfeeding for a medical reason so I combination fed in order to slowly transition to bottles and found it actually really suited me but by then it was too late. If I was going to go again I'd do it from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

When do most people start combination feeding from? I'm struggling with bfeeding this time and it's not crucial to me to continue (I know others will disagree with my view and that's fine). I like the idea that my husband can share feeds and last time I hired a double pump and expressed. This time, I'm seriously thinking about doing 70:30 breast:formula but I want to be clear in my decision and just go for it. Only on day 3 at the moment but the feeding is torturous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

yellow hen wrote: »
    When do most people start combination feeding from? I'm struggling with bfeeding this time and it's not crucial to me to continue (I know others will disagree with my view and that's fine). I like the idea that my husband can share feeds and last time I hired a double pump and expressed. This time, I'm seriously thinking about doing 70:30 breast:formula but I want to be clear in my decision and just go for it. Only on day 3 at the moment but the feeding is torturous.

I started at 4 weeks, not sure what the norm is. Maybe though you might want to give it some more time so your supply is fully established? Not sure how long that takes though... There's really not a huge amount of info out there on combo feeding in Ireland. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Some do from the start others dip in and out as necessary. My first was given formula the day they were born. The latch wasn't good, I was exhausted and terrified they would starve to death so the midwives took her for a few hours and gave a bottle. I mainly bf exclusively for eight weeks after that. My OH gave one or two bottles in the mean time when I literally didn't wake up to feed her through sheer exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

bp wrote: »
    Some do from the start others dip in and out as necessary. My first was given formula the day they were born. The latch wasn't good, I was exhausted and terrified they would starve to death so the midwives took her for a few hours and gave a bottle. I mainly bf exclusively for eight weeks after that. My OH gave one or two bottles in the mean time when I literally didn't wake up to feed her through sheer exhaustion.

I feel like tonight might be one of those nights. My iron is really low and I'm almost seeing double with tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I started from about two weeks,still doing it now 4 months on,I bought the avent electric pump,best thing I ever purchased,I know it's not the most high tech but it works for me. I express approx 600ml a day and top up the rest with formula,I exclusively express and baby is on bottles since then,it was too much trouble with a two year old toddler running around with a baby latched on,it hurts like a b*tch when you've to pull a baby off your breast in a hurry when your toddler is after falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

I feel like tonight might be one of those nights. My iron is really low and I'm almost seeing double with tiredness.

In the early days when my lo was feeding alot at night, I found it easier to get some sleep if I breastfed lying on my side with baby on her side in bed with me. This way I could fall back to sleep while she nursed.
    I tried expressing so hubby could feed her while I slept, but it never worked out as no matter how tired I was, I couldn't sleep when baby woke up.

It does get easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

When do most people start combination feeding from? I'm struggling with bfeeding this time and it's not crucial to me to continue (I know others will disagree with my view and that's fine). I like the idea that my husband can share feeds and last time I hired a double pump and expressed. This time, I'm seriously thinking about doing 70:30 breast:formula but I want to be clear in my decision and just go for it. Only on day 3 at the moment but the feeding is torturous.[/QUOTE

The first few weeks of breastfeeding are like an endurance test. But it really is worth hanging in there because it gets easier and easier after that. I know pumping can seem easier at the start but after 6 weeks breastfeeding gets much easier and pumping stays difficult. I'd wait at least 4 weeks to introduce formula - this will mean your supply has had time to establish. Then pick your time of day for a bottle and stick with it. Don't chop and change as it will mess with your supply.

If the feeding is torturous because your in pain then post a bit more about it. Hopefully someone can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Thanks for all the input. I was following this thread but got no notifications so just checked it now!!
    The formula would only be a now and then really as opposed to full on combination feeding. I have looked up the recommended amounts to leave but the 2 times I have left go far he has been looking for more food even though paced bottle feeding was done. I just don't like leaving my husband/mum/sister looking after a crying, hungry baby because I hadn't expressed enough or left a back up of formula....
    Thanks for the contributions though!!

Hey Laura, I stopped pumping if I was going somewhere at 4 months because I never got more than 1oz at a time with the pump. So the very odd time I was heading out on my own she got a bottle of formula. It worked fine for me. I think you'd only need to be careful if you were going somewhere for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Breastfeeding my second here and although it's going well, I'm unsure...leaning towards combination feeding.I'm so tired and with OH going back to work in the next couple of weeks I'm not sure I will be able for a toddler all day and all the feeding myself.
    If I started combination feeding, are there any opinions on whether its best to do night or day feeds on bottles, or does it matter??

Swooshty - how old is your baby, it's sounds like they are just a few weeks old from the sounds of your OH still being off. If so, do consider that your baby needs to feed all the time right now and for the first 6-8 weeks. After that things will settle and most people start to find breastfeeding easier than bottle-feeding at that point. The feeds become more predictable, they become shorter as the baby gets more effective at taking the milk. In general, you suddenly realise that is is not such a chore anymore.

Combination feeding isn't recommended because it can affect your supply but I do know plenty of people giving a bottle a day and it works for them. In a few weeks when your supply is established, pick your time and stick with it. I wouldn't replace a night feed personally as breastfeeding beats bottle feeding at night for ease always. Do not be tempted to increase formula feeds during growth spurts when the baby needs to feed constantly. This will sabotage your supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

swooshty wrote: »
    Breastfeeding my second here and although it's going well, I'm unsure...leaning towards combination feeding.I'm so tired and with OH going back to work in the next couple of weeks I'm not sure I will be able for a toddler all day and all the feeding myself.
    If I started combination feeding, are there any opinions on whether its best to do night or day feeds on bottles, or does it matter??

The first 6 weeks are hard work as your baby is working to build your supply. This is normal. Can you attend a bf support group? It'll be much easier to bf when you have a toddler running around as you don't have to faff about with sterilising, boiling and cooling water, mixing formula, etc - just pop baby on boob and off you go. I'd recommend getting a sling so that you can have your baby close, feed and they can nap in the sling, and you'll have your hands free to entertain your toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all, I think that's what I'll do-wait til six weeks then figure iut the best way to work it.I didn't know really, I kind of fell into bf and am feeling my way along!She's only a week old, so very early days yet but the toddler + exhaustion combo is making me dread when OH goes back to work.
    I suppose I'll get through it somehow, I'm not the first woman to have two close together in age!!

Just a word of warning about the magic six weeks mark- there is a massive growth spurt but after that everything gets much much easier.

I can only imagine how you feel - I'm pregnant myself and I have zero clue how I'm going to manage the first few weeks with the two of them. I can't imagine my toddler being impressed with a constantly latched on baby.

Good luck. It is worth sticking it out, the work is all front loaded. If you can get to a group it is really helpful to find others who are at the exact same stage as you are. You might meet some with a toddler and baby like you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

In the very early days like that Yellow Hen I found it very handy to lie down on the bed with a boob out and go to sleep while the baby lay next to me and fed away - crucial to me doing this in the early days was my husband sitting next to the hospital bed and holding him in place! That way I could relax and not freak out that the baby was going to roll off.

Isn't night 2 the Bad One, when baby realises that he's out of the womb and goes a bit nuts? Also day 3 is known (as far as I've heard!) for being the crazy hormonal rush for mom day. Hopefully everything gets a bit better for you tomorrow fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

For those with a newborn and a toddler, slings will be your lifeline! I had a ring sling I could feed the baby in so I could move and have free hands. There's 18 months between mine and it's great now, but also back then the toddler was young enough to not be bothered by the usurper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

If you are planning on the baby having a bottle be it formula or expressed breast milk just make sure and bring your pump with you to pump at the missed feed time. That way your supply wont be affected by the missed feed. I used to pump a bit every day after my baby had fed and freeze it that way i always had a plentiful supply in the freezer for when the odd occasion arose that i had to be somewhere that I couldnt bring the baby. But be warned its a slippery slope if you start skipping feeds from a supply point of view so just make sure and remember to pump so your body realises you still need milk at that time. Dont loose heart from people getting onto you about adding in a bottle here and there. Breast feeding rates are so low in this country that we need to encourage people to feed whatever way they can. I hate to see people having any sort of negative comments thrown their way when they are trying to keep feeding and do whats best for them. So if combination feeding is something you need to do to continue your breast feeding journey then you do that. The best of luck with it all sounds like you are doing great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Make sure you look up the virgin gut before you give formula to ensure you are making an informed decision. There are risks to introducing formula.
    I would definitely wait until after the 6 week growth spurt before using a breast milk substitute. It interferes with supply and can cause confusion with the baby. After 6weeks you might find you dont need to consider it as baby will space out feeds, pumping (same time in the morning) even 1oz every day will quickly build up a stash for emergencies.
    If you are in pain breastfeeding, do contact LeLeche League or similiar for breastfeeding support.

Advertisement