Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter impact (March 17th) corroborated by an Irish amateur?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Found the answer. John McKeon
    His video is here: (>2 million views as well)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow. The energy release involved must have been unreal. We're so lucky to have Jupiter as the solar systems hoover. If that had hit us, game over I'd imagine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wow. The energy release involved must have been unreal. We're so lucky to have Jupiter as the solar systems hoover. If that had hit us, game over I'd imagine.
    Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Jupiter directs a lot of material towards the inner solar system (i.e. towards us), as well as hoovering up other stuff. So it's a double-edged sword.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it hadn't been for all-eggs-in-one-basket Shuttle program then Galileo might have had a ring side view of Shoemaker-Levy 9.

And now Juno missed this by a few months. I don't know how yet but I'll blame the shuttle program again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement