Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Passports only for VWP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

any Irish passport since 2006 is electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

gctest50 wrote: »

Must have a valid functioning electronic passport :

Where does it say functioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Try showing uo with a non-functioning one then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stheno wrote: »
    any Irish passport since 2006 is electronic.

They're not. We've only been issuing electronic passports with the chip, since October 16 2006. So if you are traveling to the US & your passport was issued before that date, you have to apply for a visa.

Anyone who finds themselves in that boat, will have a passport that is about to expire soon. It would probably make more sense to just apply for a new passport, but the basic point still stands.

https://www.businesspost.ie/irish-holiday-makers-warned-electronic-passport-needed-for-us-travel/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Great. My passport (about a year old) allegedly has a chip, but has never worked on any of those scanning machines.
    Coming through... hmm.. some part of the journey.. on my way back from the states a few weeks ago, the guy checking it asked if I had difficulty using the self-service machines. I said "Sometimes", and he nodded and let me through.

Supposed to be heading over again now in 11 days, hopefully they'll let me in to the country and back..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My ESTA was cancelled this morning because I don't have one of these passports. It's up in June this year. I'm not heading to the states until next year so I'm grand for now. But will renew it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I got a new passport a year and half ago. Should I be OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

If you have the logo below where it says Passport then you are okay.

90315707-2-390x285.jpg

This only affects people whose most recent Irish passport was issued ON, OR BEFORE October 16, 2006.

If your passport was issued AFTER October 16, 2006, you have nothing to worry about.

Post edited. Shower o'bleedin smart arses ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ProudDUB wrote: »
    This only affects people whose most recent Irish passport was issued ON, OR BEFORE October 16, 2016.

If you passport was issued AFTER October 16, 2016, you have nothing to worry about.

Do you need a passport to travel by Delorean?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ficheall wrote: »
    Do you need a passport to travel by Delorean?

Not if you are not crossing a year boundary, apparently. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I just popped into November and got my one. I'm sorted 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

My friend was in honeymoon last week in Cancun and they were due to go to new York on Sunday, her husband had an old passport. He was refused entry, they had to fly home. They weren't the only one it happened to. Not sure if there's anyway for them to claim back some of their expenses.

My friend was in honeymoon last week in Cancun and they were due to go to new York on Sunday, her husband had an old passport. He was refused entry, they had to fly home. They weren't the only one it happened to. Not sure if there's anyway for them to claim back some of their expenses.

Not unless they had travel insurance. And even if they did, I doubt if not having your paperwork/passports/visa requirements etc etc in order, would be covered. That is for the traveler to sort out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not sure if there's anyway for them to claim back some of their expenses.

And the potential candidates to claim from would be who?

Advertisement