Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird problems with VM Hub 3.0 and Windows 10

Options
  • 01-04-2016 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

So, upgraded broadband package with VM and they shipped a white, nice looking router. I connected it and it worked fine. All devices connected fine. A few days ago, I noticed that the two laptops that are running Windows 10 started having issues with connecting to the router. First of all, they were telling me the connection was secure but there was no internet. An Ethernet cable made no change. Even moving back to the Technicolor router (the old UPC router made no change. The same issue occurs again with Window 10! I've had Windows 10 for a good few months now.
    Now, both of them will not even see the router even though the same has been restarted a few times and reset to factory defaults. The iPhones/Ipads have no problems and connect immediately. Work laptop connects too. I have ESET smart security which has its own firewall but I suspended the same same and even cancelled the firewall the router had to see if that made any change-to no avail.
    At the same time, Sonos Play 1 and 5 started reporting an error whereby the devices are struggling to connect to the network be it through WiFi or Ethernet (An error occurred while adding tracks to the queue (1002)). They see the playlists but cannot play them.
    I've uninstalled the drivers for laptops and installed them again to no avail.

The house is well connected and each room has 1-2 Ethernet access points. Since it's a concrete house, the signal isn't as strong upstairs so I got 2 WiFi access points. All devices see these access points but are only secured and will not connect either. Even if they connect, there's no traffic through them.
    Any idea what could be the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What IP details do the laptops report as having when the issue occurs. Can you ping the gateway or other devices?

You would need to break down the component peices and work out where the point of commonality is.

EG, if the IPAD sees no problems, is it connected directly to the VM hub or is it on a Access point, which is on the wired network?

If there is no point of commonality, then you need to start looking at the VM hub itself. Maybe drop it into bridge mode, put use a old router and let it grab a outside IP. Its a very new custom device for Liberty Global, could need a good year of firmware updates to get it stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

What IP details do the laptops report as having when the issue occurs. Can you ping the gateway or other devices?

You would need to break down the component peices and work out where the point of commonality is.

EG, if the IPAD sees no problems, is it connected directly to the VM hub or is it on a Access point, which is on the wired network?

If there is no point of commonality, then you need to start looking at the VM hub itself. Maybe drop it into bridge mode, put use a old router and let it grab a outside IP. Its a very new custom device for Liberty Global, could need a good year of firmware updates to get it stable.

Thanks for response.
    Not sure how but I'll try if I can get some of the suggestions done when I get home. Funny thing is that even the old router will no longer connect!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When one device registers the old device is deregistered shortly after, its no use to you now.

I'd check if you're on DSLite first off, it shouldnt have this effect on W10 machines but I could definitely see it with the Sonos. Search for other threads explaining how to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

ED E wrote: »
    When one device registers the old device is deregistered shortly after, its no use to you now.

I'd check if you're on DSLite first off, it shouldnt have this effect on W10 machines but I could definitely see it with the Sonos. Search for other threads explaining how to check.

Thanks ED E
    What is DSLite...
    The Sonos and Win 10 problems started at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

regedit wrote: »
    Thanks ED E
    What is DSLite...
    The Sonos and Win 10 problems started at the same time.

ED E wrote: »

• Advertisement
Advertisement