Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countries greatest triathletes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if considering gavin or Bryan, i reckon Aileen Reid has had a more successful ITU career to date than either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

True Mossy and was actually thinking about her too but forgot to put her in!

aye. no offence to Gavin or Bryan, both of whom i think are fantastic triathletes, had the pleasure off seeing them both do hell of the west on separate years. amazing to see the level they are at when neither of them probably went above 2nd or 3rd gear when rolling home in record breaking times.

Aileen though has delivered a top notch performance in the finals a couple of years back, to do it on a big occasion like that is something special.

Eimear, Slowtwitch always long course biased, so not surprised to see them gravitate there. superb performances in the IM UK races she did, to retain the title is impressive. tough call really.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

A Reid is our number 1... no doubt about it for me. Top 10 in the world for the last few seasons. No one betters that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

mossym wrote: »
    if considering gavin or Bryan, i reckon Aileen Reid has had a more successful ITU career to date than either of those.

Right don't want to open up a can of worms here but if you are talking success medals yes Aileen is no 1 but greatest triathlete am not so so sure given the massive gulf in depthness between male and female fields. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Right don't want to open up a can of worms here but if you are talking success medals yes Aileen is no 1 but greatest triathlete am not so so sure given the massive gulf in depthness between male and female fields. ?

I'd argue that Tri unlike a lot of sports has the depth of competition on the women's side. Not the same but closing. USA, Britain and Australia could field 5 or 6 each for Rio if they were allowed. Bryan Keane, with all due respect, coming 20th of 60 is not even close to Reid getting a podium at a Grand Final

would agree with Mike. look at the battle for the UK third slot on the womens side. standford and holland are in, and you have stimpson/jenkins basically having to win a one off race to get in, both of who deserve to go. the US have the machine, and a decent backup cast, and that's before you consider sprieg and the like.

sure, on the mens you have the brownlees, and gomez and mola, as well as others, but i don't see that as being hugely more competitive than the womens.

a 3rd place in the grand final is pretty impressive, more so than a result in a standard race where not all the top guys are

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

this is not womens boxing we are talking about here! There is excellent quality and depth at the top of the womens game.

Advertisement